You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello Everybody

I´m working with a MacBook Pro (early 2014) and updated the OS to Big Sur. Today I updated Affinity Photo (now version 1.9). I hoped, that the launch problems would have been solved with the latest Affinity-update, but still (since Big Sur) the lauchtime of Affinity is about 60 seconds. (I can´t drink that much coffee). It´s only the first launch, but after an hour or two the next start takes again one minute.

What can I do?

Thanks to everybody, Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Martin Deters,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums and my apologies for the delayed response here!

I can confirm that this issue is still with our developers to be resolved currently, as we're working directly with Apple to try and speed up the launch times of our apps on Big Sur. We suspect this is due to the new checks that Big Sur run when launching an app, however this is yet to be confirmed.

As you've mentioned, this appears to only affect the first run of the application from a cold boot and any subsequent launches are faster.

Some customers have reported duplicating the Affinity app, so that there are 2 versions, and the second version launches much faster on first launch - however this is not true for all users and isn't explicitly a workaround we're suggesting.

We do hope to have an update to resolve this shortly, however I have no further information to provide currently, my apologies. 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2021 at 1:24 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @Martin Deters,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums and my apologies for the delayed response here!

I can confirm that this issue is still with our developers to be resolved currently, as we're working directly with Apple to try and speed up the launch times of our apps on Big Sur. We suspect this is due to the new checks that Big Sur run when launching an app, however this is yet to be confirmed.

As you've mentioned, this appears to only affect the first run of the application from a cold boot and any subsequent launches are faster.

Some customers have reported duplicating the Affinity app, so that there are 2 versions, and the second version launches much faster on first launch - however this is not true for all users and isn't explicitly a workaround we're suggesting.

We do hope to have an update to resolve this shortly, however I have no further information to provide currently, my apologies. 

Hi, any update on when this will be fixed. It is painfully slow.

• Staff

You can find our latest update on this issue here -

We're working with Apple to try and get this resolved ASAP, I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!