You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush size indicator showing up after every stroke

I have been annoyed by this is the past, and I hoped this would be addressed in the new version: Every time after I have drawn a stroke with the brush or pixel or vector brush tool, a circle indicating the brush size pops up in the middle of the screen. This is extremely annoying and unneccesary. It distrubs the flow of drawing in the app to such a degree that I tend to avoid it altogether. Why can't we get rid of this, as it has no function whatsoever?

• Staff

Hi postmadesign,

This isn't a bug, and only appears after you adjust the zoom on the document. The intention is to feedback to the user the size of the currently selected brush, based on the zoom you've just chosen. With the desktop you can do this with the cursor, but unfortunately with an iPad this is not possible, so we opt to do this briefly after you modify the zoom.

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

and only appears after you adjust the zoom on the document

This is not what I am seeing here, regardless if I zoom in or not, I get the brush size indicator after I release the pencil from the screen after a stroke. So surely this must be a bug. And even if this would be intentional, why not put it in a less intrusive place? I am using the latest version of ios and the latest version of AD.

5 hours ago, postmadesign said:

This is not what I am seeing here, r

It’s very helpful to have a screen recording showing issue (with touch for gestures turned on).😀

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff
On 2/6/2021 at 10:28 AM, postmadesign said:

Here is a small recording I made of the vector brush. The raster brushes have the exact same issue. As you can see, the indicator becomes visible regardless if I zoom or pan.

RPReplay_Final1612602580.mov

Thanks for the video - this makes issues much easier for us to understand!  Are you using a Rope or Window Stabiliser with the brush? I'm getting the same behaviour with either of those enabled, but with No Stabiliser I don't see it (hence my experience earlier).

@Sean P I’m seeing this behaviour too with stabiliser on🙁

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff
1 hour ago, postmadesign said:

The issue is gone when I draw without stabilzer in the vector brush. The brush tool in the pixel persona also works without the stabilzer, however the pixel tool still has the same problem... I hope this can be fixed with a patch?

Thanks for confirming that - its now with development to be fixed :)