You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Usually our agency is using "another" publishing software for our client projects. We're still testing affinity publisher - by using it for some workshops. Therefore our experience isn't very high ;-)  Yesterday a participant of our current workshop has built a simple newspaper page with some text boxes. Really basic elements in a first step to deal with affinity. But there is a strange phenomenon: You cannot select some of these simple text boxes directly. However, selecting these boxes by using the layer panel is still working and there you can see that the boxes aren't fixed. If you move the text boxes from the page into the working space you can select them, too. Some other text boxes are working normally, no matter where they are.

Does anybody knows why? Thank you for supporting us.

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Armin-H!

Very unusual. How do you want to select the text boxes? Single click and drag? Selection marquee? What is your OS?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

4 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Welcome to the Affinity forums @Armin-H!

Very unusual. How do you want to select the text boxes? Single click and drag? Selection marquee? What is your OS?

Lieber Joachim, danke für die schnelle Reaktion. Teilnehmerin hat MacOS, ich auch (noch 10.14.6). Textkästen kann man weder durch doppelklicken noch durch den Pfeil auswählen. Geht aber eben über die Ebenenpalette. Neustart, neue Seite und reinkopieren der Boxen ändert daran nichts. Ist wirklich die absolute Basic-Layoutübung - "macht mal ein paar Textkästen".  

Keine Ahnung wie es auf dem Mac aussieht. Vermutlich nicht viel anders als auf Windows. Mit einem Doppelklick auf einen Textrahmen verändert sich dein Werkzeug in den Textcursor und du bist bereits IN dem Textrahmen. Es reicht ein einfacher Klick auf den Textrahmen, Maustaste gedrückt halten und verschieben. Eine andere - praktische wie ich finde - Möglichkeit ist mit einer einem Auswahlrechteck etwas auszuwählen. Wenn man in Einstellungen >> Werkzeuge "Objekt auswählen, wenn es den Auswahlrahmen schneidet" aktiviert, dann geht es noch einfacher.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Danke nochmal. Das Prinzip ist schon klar, soweit kennen wir uns aus, ist ja auch bei ID nicht anders. Interessant am Dokument ist ja, dass manche Textboxen normal (d.h. über die von dir geschilderten Funktionen) auswählbar sind, manche aber eben nicht. Habe auch schon ein paar Seminare gemacht und bisher trat das Problem nicht auf. Hatte das bei eigenen Dokumenten bisher auch nicht. Habe mir aber das Dokument der Teilnehmerin schicken lassen und konnte die Boxen eben auch nur über die ebene direkt auswählen. Interessant: Klickt man auf eine Box, wird die Box ausgewählt, die tiefer auf der Seite steht, nicht die, die man angeklickt hat. Das ließ mich vermuten, man hat da aus Versehen die Box mit einer anderen unsichtbaren (farb- und konturlosen) Box gruppiert. Ist aber auch nicht der Fall. Legt man die falsch ausgewählte Box ganz nach hinten, kann man die eigentlich auszuwählende Box wieder auswählen. Sehr seltsam.

1 hour ago, Armin-H said:

If you click on a box, the box that is lower on the page is selected, not the one that you clicked

Once that box is selected go into the Stroke panel and remove any stroke showing there for the text

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

Once that box is selected go into the Stroke panel and remove any stroke showing there for the text

Hi, Carl!

I've been in some other parts of my workshop - therefore I've seen your hint not until now. Fine! Thank you very much! This has been the right tip. Strange thing, in my opinion. Sounds like a bug which has to be worked on.

btw: nice subline.