You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

@Jim [pre 1965 classic]& @AdamBurnett

Welcome to the Serif affinity forums :) 

The workbooks teach techniques that do not tend to change with each release. Every time there is a major release (like 1.7, 1.8, 1.9) we check that the workbooks are still correctly reflecting the applications, and tweak whatever needs tweaking in the master source file. Those changes normally don't amount to more that a word or two or a screenshot or two. Whenever we run out of stock we will use the latest maintained master copy and have that reproduced. So for example we are currently selling the 3rd or 4th revision of the Affinity Photo Workbook, but as I say you would have to look very hard to spot the differences over the first edition.

We are currently out of stock of our workbooks so this process is being done now, and any workbooks sent out when the new stock comes in will be correct to the latest release 1.9.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I bought the book in 2017 and I’m still learning from the instructions and tips. I would say it is quite timeless in terms of content.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It may help to have a look at Patrick Connor's post above. (There's not that much change between 1.9 and 1.10.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

37 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

It may help to have a look at Patrick Connor's post above. (There's not that much change between 1.9 and 1.10.)

Thank you very much @PaulEC 🙂

I've read the post of @Patrick Connor and is quite clear, anyway, I'm asking because I'm thinking to buy the book from Amazon but  they have only the 2017 edition.

At this point, I'm wondering if it's worth to buy that edition on Amazon or buy it from Affinity Store (for a question of pricing and delivery time). 🥴

The real doubt is "There is a huge difference between 2017 edition and the last edition ?" 🤔

Thank you again.

As it says on Amazon "Because the book focuses on skills and techniques, it won’t go out of date as the software updates", but it is a bit pricy, so, if you're not sure, (and not in any great hurry,) I'd suggest wait for the latest edition from Affinity and study the videos and other tutorials in the mean time.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

42 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

As it says on Amazon "Because the book focuses on skills and techniques, it won’t go out of date as the software updates", but it is a bit pricy, so, if you're not sure, (and not in any great hurry,) I'd suggest wait for the latest edition from Affinity and study the videos and other tutorials in the mean time.

Thank you again @PaulEC 👍

• Staff
1 hour ago, nirolfix said:

The real doubt is "There is a huge difference between 2017 edition and the last edition ?" 🤔

No there really isn't. The first chapter on the user interface is a bit more up to date but the main meat of the workbook is the same and the tutorials are followable in 1.10 even using the 2017 workbook version. What is there in your book that you are finding is incorrect or difficult to follow?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

No there really isn't. The first chapter on the user interface is a bit more up to date but the main meat of the workbook is the same and the tutorials are followable in 1.10 even using the 2017 workbook version. What is there in your book that you are finding is incorrect or difficult to follow?

Hi @Patrick Connor and thank you for your reply.

I think I didn't explain myself, sorry, because of my bad english, I'm about to buy the book, I really don't know what is in that book, I only wonder if the 2017 edition which I found on Amazon is good enough to "work" with the 1.10.0 version of Affinity Photo.

At this point I'll go with the Amazon 2017 edition. As a big fan of Affinity Photo software this book is a "must have" and with Amazon will arrive tomorrow.

Sorry for making you losing your time.

Best regards

• Staff

Oh, yes if it's a bargain like that definitely buy it

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

20 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Oh, yes if it's a bargain like that definitely buy it

Hi @Patrick Connor and @PaulEC

Just a small update.

I just received the Affinity Photo book and I found that the current information on Amazon is out of date. The book is edition 2021 and not edition 2017 as it was written in the product description, so the latest version, see the attached photos. I thought I would share this information with you because may be useful to other Affinity Photo users.
For completeness: book purchased on amazon.it; sold by Serif Europe Ltd. and shipped by Amazon in one day.

Have a nice day. 🙂

photo_2021-08-24_16-30-31.jpg

photo_2021-08-24_16-30-25.jpg