You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Astrophotography Stacking of Narrow Band Images

Hi All,

First of all, Thanks to the developers for the feature to stack astrophotos for deep sky imaging and the support of FITS for that purpose. BTW: Could you add the functionality to open FITS without being in the astro-stacking persona?

On the actual topic for this post:

The Affinity Photo's help describes how to stack narrowband astronomical images. In order to assign the images to different color channels, it's suggested to apply the Recolor adjustment and add the different images through the Add blending mode. I tried this using three greyscale images that I extracted from the RGB channels of a color image.

When I apply the Recolor adjustment, the color is strongly shifted to either red, green or blue. However there are still some remainders in the other two channels that lead to "overexpose" the blended final image. The colors seem to be fine but not the overall levels.

Wouldn't it be more correct (color- and luminosity-wise) and much easier to blend the the greyscale images through Add blending with the content of the  "unused" channels deleted, respective for each layer?

Thanks!

Björn