You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is downloaded additional content stored?

I installed the free brushes and whatnot that come with the new versions of Photo and Designer, but I can't find where they went on the computer (Mac). Where is this stuff stored?

I also found that "download all" doesn't work. If you expand each item, you'll find that numerous things weren't downloaded. If you click on the cryptic triangle on the right of one of them, it takes you to a Web page to manually download things.

1876107788_ScreenShot2021-02-04at6_06_00PM.png.878af5c121a522b4129417736331aacf.png

The items that are downloaded are stored in the same place they would be if you manually downloaded and installed them.

This FAQ (though written for a different purpose) describes the locations and files that are involved:

48 minutes ago, Stokestack said:

If you click on the cryptic triangle on the right of one of them

If you hover your mouse over it you'll get a descriptive tooltip. But yes, not everything can be downloaded and installed automatically. Affinity only knows where to install Brushes, Assets, Macros, and Templates, I believe. For other content that doesn't have a well-defined installation location you need to perform the download yourself, so you can decide where it goes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The items that are downloaded are stored in the same place they would be if you manually downloaded and installed them

Which would be the same place that I would chuck them if a woodchuck could chuck wood. SOOO HELPFUL! There's no "manual download" option offered.

Meanwhile, the UI incorrectly shows that the entire category of items is installed.

Obscurity FTW!

well I got a member who use a Mac, He downloaded all the overlays, but they are not installed in the Assets.  So someone a Idea?

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

The new overlays are installed automatically. That's why they can't be seen in your Downloads folder. In the Photo persona (not Develop) open the Assets panel (select View > Studio if not already displayed). You will find them already listed in the dropdown menu in the Assets panel. To apply one to an image, drag it across on top of the image and then drag to resize it. The overlay appears as a new layer in the Layers panel. Well that's how it works for me anyway!

45 minutes ago, norfolkcoaster said:

The new overlays are installed automatically. That's why they can't be seen in your Downloads folder. In the Photo persona (not Develop) open the Assets panel (select View > Studio if not already displayed). You will find them already listed in the dropdown menu in the Assets panel. To apply one to an image, drag it across on top of the image and then drag to resize it. The overlay appears as a new layer in the Layers panel. Well that's how it works for me anyway!

Thanks, but by the member the Assets is empthy after the update. In the download list they are have a green v

-  64 bits. 

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

Got the same problem with the downloaded templates, both the Cookbook and the Magazine templates. They are nowhere to be found on my Mac. I can only see them as shown in the attached screenshot.

Skärmdump 2021-02-05 kl. 12.07.51.pdf

Edited by edwardsson
Attached a screenshot

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

In the Affinity website My Account page showing your free overlays, if you click on an overlay set and scroll down you can see a PDF user guide for each of the overlay sets. In there it says you can also use File > Place to place an overlay over your image. But this involves navigating to the location of the overlay files on your PC. Even though they are installed in my Assets panel I have searched but cannot find the physical location. Can anyone help with this please?

• Staff

Hi @Studio97Visuals,
Are you using Affinity Photo for iPad? If so the assets were installed but due to a bug are not accessible. Do the following as a workaround until we fix this: tap the small menu icon on the header of the Assets Studio and select Add Category (to simply add a new empty category). You should now be able to tab the category button again and switch to the other categories/assets you installed previously.

1 hour ago, edwardsson said:

Got the same problem with the downloaded templates, both the Cookbook and the Magazine templates. They are nowhere to be found on my Mac.

In Publisher, File > New, click on Templates, look in Affinity Store category.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

And it will look like this:

image.png.a584c16b70f06a745fc26697a2ee0e31.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks for pointing me to the right place! Thumbs up!

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

3 minutes ago, Jowday said:

And it will look like this:

image.png.a584c16b70f06a745fc26697a2ee0e31.png

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, edwardsson said:

Thanks!

Mitt nöje 🙂

Hilsner fra Danmark!

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

27 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @Studio97Visuals,
Are you using Affinity Photo for iPad? If so the assets were installed but due to a bug are not accessible. Do the following as a workaround until we fix this: tap the small menu icon on the header of the Assets Studio and select Add Category (to simply add a new empty category). You should now be able to tab the category button again and switch to the other categories/assets you installed previously.

Thanks

-  64 bits. 

7 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Mitt nöje 🙂

Hilsner fra Danmark!

Mange tak! 🤓

Hälsningar från Sverige

I installed the new 4 overlays and found the assets panel which I never even knew about. But I only see the rainbow and fog overlays. I don't see the snow or the rain ones?

Nevermind - I discovered this a drop down menu I didn't see. Thank you!

Edited by Kmomma
Found what looking for.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Kmomma. Congratulations on figuring it out :)

-- Walt
PC:

• 9 months later...
On 2/5/2021 at 12:36 PM, norfolkcoaster said:

Thank you this helped me today. Adding snow now to my christmas card! 

58 minutes ago, Perplexed99 said:

I ditched the snow, it looked really naff.

It may not be something you like, but just in case: did you read the User Guide? It has a few pointers that may make a difference.

-- Walt
PC: