You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity 1.9 Astro Stack - Freeze Ground?

As a photographer who loves wide field landscape astrophotography I was excited to see the new astrophotography stack feature in 1.9.

After watching some of James Ritsons videos (which unfortunately all focus on deep space astrophotography images so no landscape) and trying a stack myself I can see no way to freeze the ground to avoid this being blurred during star alignment. This is a critical feature offered in Sequator and similar software. Please tell me I have missed this functionality somewhere. 

Thanks in hope, Greg. 

5 hours ago, Greg R said:

As a photographer who loves wide field landscape astrophotography I was excited to see the new astrophotography stack feature in 1.9.

After watching some of James Ritsons videos (which unfortunately all focus on deep space astrophotography images so no landscape) and trying a stack myself I can see no way to freeze the ground to avoid this being blurred during star alignment. This is a critical feature offered in Sequator and similar software. Please tell me I have missed this functionality somewhere. 

Thanks in hope, Greg. 

I also wanted to ask about it. Many free soft like "DeepSkyStacker" or "Sequator" got it. For Me and other users I think is basic function. In Affinity we can use this function only for deep sky stacking like on tutorials on affinity site. For landcapes this function is useless.

1 hour ago, Petryk said:

I also wanted to ask about it. Many free soft like "DeepSkyStacker" or "Sequator" got it. For Me and other users I think is basic function. In Affinity we can use this function only for deep sky stacking like on tutorials on affinity site. For landcapes this function is useless.

Yes, hoping we have missed something but I suspect not. Continuing with the amazing free Sequator software for now 😔

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Greg R & @Petryk,

Welcome to the Affinity forums Greg :)

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here! I have spoken with our Astro expert who has confirmed the best method for this currently would be to use the Astro stack feature to align your stars, then have a separate foreground image which is developed individually and composite the two together using selection refinement & masking.

We appreciate this is not as ideal as an automatic 'Freeze Ground' feature, so this is something we may look at adding in a future update.

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks for the response Dan. At this stage I will continue to use Sequator for this purpose as it does exactly what I need in one process. Given the obvious development effort that has gone into the Astro stack feature it would be awesome if it could be extended to include a freeze ground capability in the future. It would be functionality not available in the likes of Adobe products so a good selling point in a growth genre of photography. 

Cheers, Greg