You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weirdness in Publisher 1.9.0

jonheal

Publisher 1.9.0.932 is a bit buggier than the last several releases. Stuff I've noticed so far:

• More difficult to select objects
  • Dragging a rectangle around objects to select sometimes non-functional at <100% views
  • Double-clicking a selection in the Paste Special dialog does not automatically dismiss the dialog
  • Selection bounds sometimes rendered the wrong shape and size

Looking forward to another update. Probably shouldn't have been so eager to grab this version until more kinks are ironed out. 😉

(on Windows 10 v. 20H2 19042.746)

6 hours ago, jonheal said:
  • More difficult to select objects
  • Dragging a rectangle around objects to select sometimes non-functional at <100% views
  • Double-clicking a selection in the Paste Special dialog does not automatically dismiss the dialog
  • Selection bounds sometimes rendered the wrong shape and size

a) Not noticed yet.

b) Not noticed yet, but I do know that I had sometimes to select everything on a page with the selection marquee. It could be helpful if "Select object when intersect with selection marquee" is checked in Preferences >> Tools

c) For me it never closes the dialogue. If this is what you mean.

d) Depends on what is selected. But I have to admit, that selection bounds feel sometimes strange. But this was the case also in earlier versions.

Perhaps you can do a screen recording to show your problems?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

9 hours ago, jonheal said:

Dragging a rectangle around objects to select sometimes non-functional at <100% views

I've had this on multiple views but only with certain docs, I tried recreating one the offending objects from scratch in a new doc and it worked normally. 

Also a massive problem for me is any frame text that you make part of a group has the contents re-scaled which would cause Havoc with my workflow, although I'm still testing with the latest 1.9 beta, I usually wait a week or so before updating my production mac to the latest release 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

2 minutes ago, BrunoV said:

but typing a text is way laggier than the 1.8.5 version

I have to agree. Normally typing quite fast with 10 fingers it lasts a while until the text comes up.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

I have to agree. Normally typing quite fast with 10 fingers it lasts a while until the text comes up.

Good to hear. I type with my 10 fingers too. I wrote two books directly in publisher 1.8.5.

In the 1.9.0.932 version, I can type an entire sentence and wait 2-3 seconds before it finish writing on the screen.

I try to disable the OpenCL acceleration and switch on WARP but no results.

@BrunoV Please do me a favour. Save your current Studio as a preset. Now remove ALL panels, but leave the tools and save this again as a new preset.

Now create a new document, add a text frame and type in fast a few sentences. In my case it was back to normal typing speed. If I have time I test, which panel causes the lag.

------

10 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

@BrunoV Please do me a favour. Save your current Studio as a preset. Now remove ALL panels, but leave the tools and save this again as a new preset.

Now create a new document, add a text frame and type in fast a few sentences. In my case it was back to normal typing speed. If I have time I test, which panel causes the lag.

That's weird but I redo the update to 1.9.0.932 again and now it works fine in typing the text.

In fact, I did the update but regarding the typing speed, I deinstall the software and reinstall the previous one 1.8.5.

But here doing the update on this freshly installed version, the typing speed seems to be as fast as on the 1.8.5 version.

Did you try that ?

Maybe there is a panel which is not here due to the reinstallation...

Edited by BrunoV

Bullets 1, 3 and 4 in my original post may have been my imagination. Maybe the behavior of these items is the same as previous versions.

Drag-selecting multiple objects at zoomed out views is still a problem. And I also feel this version is considerably slower than the previous version. Typing can be slow and dragging objects around the screen is choppy. Maybe for this initial 1.9 release, Affinity left in lots of debug code to help them track down issues as reported.