You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A few texture art related live filters

1.  height to normal map

2. height to cavity / curvature map  hipass based

3. height to ambient occlusion

4. normal map vector   to pixel shift /distortion  with loop iterations /fading trails

5.  some basic pattern generators in procedural filter  like bricks 

• 10 months later...

all of this would be possible with procedural textures, if there was a way to access color values at a certain coordinate.

I'm not sure if this is already possible, but I found no way to do that. Something like

R[x+1,y] - R[x-1,y] // access color channel R with relative offsets of (-1, 0) and (1, 0)

would open up a whole world of possibilities for procedural textures.

This would require access to the current coordinate (x, y) if R[x,y] samples the channel at absolute coordinates.

On 12/30/2021 at 2:03 PM, rschaub said:

I'm not sure if this is already possible,

Loooks like it's impossible in PT.  And it should be a single most  necessary update Serif should do IMO as well as ability to do it on  other layers  or just on given channel of  "beneath" .   They already codded these features in some of live filters so why wouldn't let us use them in procedural one.  It's so weird omission.

As you say a whole world of options would  appear.  I would finally get rid of  adobe substance  suite + photoshop which I consider both inconvenient as hell, with nodes or without   but have to use anyway instead of Affinity.