You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Justification broken with update

SarahH

Updates are nice and all... but not when they break perfectly good (and necessary) features. 🙄

In Justification (under the Paragraph tab), the Minimum Word Spacing and Maximum Word Spacing values are now linked together. I can only change the Minimum one, and it changes the Maximum one automatically. Needless to say, this isn't going to work if I want a Minimum of 80% and a Maximum of 120%. (Also, if I try to adjust the Desired Word Spacing value, it resets itself from 100% to whatever the Minimum value is.)

This worked fine before the update.

I can't use Publisher until this is fixed.

justification.png

1 hour ago, SarahH said:

In Justification (under the Paragraph tab), the Minimum Word Spacing and Maximum Word Spacing values are now linked together

Ouch!

1 hour ago, SarahH said:

I can't use Publisher until this is fixed.

You can, as long as you adjust it via Text Styles > Edit Text Style > Paragraph > Justification. This is not broken (yet…). Since it's a paragraph feature which you'd usually apply to long text blocks anyway, using styles is generally a good idea here.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I guess I'll have to learn to love Styles...

EDIT 40 MINUTES LATER:

I will never love Styles. *sigh*

My formatting is fairly straightforward. First-line indent, 12-point text, 15-point leading. I adjust tracking as needed to avoid widows and orphans. Selecting the whole of the text and using the Justification panel worked fine. I just tried it as a Style, though, and I'm having weird things happen. Like all of my spaces between words appearing to disappear on random lines (they haven't actually disappeared... but the tracking is way off). On some lines, I can adjust the tracking manually, but there's something paradoxical going on where sometimes decreasing the tracking leads to more space, and increasing it leads to less!

Wish I'd waited to install the update...

Have the same problem, Justification can't be adjusted through Paragraph panel. It does work by creating a Paragraph Style, though. I know, it is wise to work with Paragraph styles, but sometimes they are not necessary, since I have adopted Publisher as my primary tool, not only for designing publications, because Studio Link is realy wonderful feature.

Upon further investigation, it appears to be only a display issue.
The proof:

1. format your justified text to your liking, keep it as No Style
  2. enter a numerical value into the Maximum Word Spacing field and press Return – it will then again display the Minimum Word Spacing value
  3. create a new style based on your formatting
  4. go to Edit Text Style > Paragraph > Justification – it will show the value you've previously entered into the Maximum Word Spacing field

So while you may want to keep your eye on it until it's been fixed, you can still quite safely keep on publishing. :)

(paging @Gabe)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

11 hours ago, SarahH said:

Wish I'd waited to install the update...

You do have a Time Machine backup, right…?

And if it's the Serif Store version, you can likely contact Serif support and request a download link for the previous version.

1 hour ago, loukash said:

And if it's the Serif Store version,

https://affinity.store/update/os-name/app-name/1 where:

• os-name: macos or windows
  • app-name: photo or designer or publisher

(Don't click on that link; you need to make those substitutions first. Right-click, copy, paste, and change it :) )

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks! I knew I've seen this page before but couldn't find it.
So it's https://store.serif.com/update/macos/publisher/1

14 hours ago, SarahH said:

I will never love Styles. *sigh*

Styles really are the best way to go for multipage documents. I think on the whole styles are nicely done in Publisher, and once you get used to them, they are a pleasure to work with. (But I am not saying the bug you reported is not important: it is, and I am glad you did report it).

14 hours ago, SarahH said:

here's something paradoxical going on where sometimes decreasing the tracking leads to more space, and increasing it leads to less!

My first guess at what is happening: you have vertical justification turned on the text frame. In that case, if you reduce the tracking just enough that another line will fit, it will cram that line in, observing the tracking that you have set. If you bump up the tracking just enough so that the last line will not fit, the last line jumps to another frame, and the remaining lines are evenly spaced because of the vertical justification section, which would indeed mean the inter-line spacing would be larger. This effect would be compounded if you have keep options activated in flow section, such as widow and orphan control. 

1 hour ago, garrettm30 said:

My first guess at what is happening: you have vertical justification turned on the text frame. In that case, if you reduce the tracking just enough that another line will fit, it will cram that line in, observing the tracking that you have set. If you bump up the tracking just enough so that the last line will not fit, the last line jumps to another frame, and the remaining lines are evenly spaced because of the vertical justification section, which would indeed mean the inter-line spacing would be larger. This effect would be compounded if you have keep options activated in flow section, such as widow and orphan control. 

Perhaps. But it wasn't an issue in the previous version. I never had that happen, and I've formatted literally thousands of pages. Maybe it's another bug.

I reinstalled the previous version last night. That's what works for me, so I'll be sticking with it for now.

2 hours ago, SarahH said:

I reinstalled the previous version last night.

For what it's worth, I just reverted to v1.8.4 as well. Too many issues needing to work around.
Waiting for 1.9.1…

On 2/5/2021 at 9:27 PM, loukash said:

reverted to v1.8.4

On the other hand, I just noticed that Justification in v1.8.x is also broken on Mac:

Oh well…

On 2/5/2021 at 10:17 AM, Pedrober said:

I strongly recommend the use of Text Styles for the sake of coherence in your publication, no to mention the benefit of hierarchical styles. Everything you describe is possible (and easier, in my opinion) with Text Styles.

Using text styles makes sense for longer texts, of course. But justification can be a bit tricky at times, and some lines/paragraphs need to be edited manually. The justification panel is very helpful here.

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

7 minutes ago, Puck said:

some lines/paragraphs need to be edited manually

There are still other ways to make stuff look right until a bugfix comes:

• paragraph child styles for full paragraphs
  • Character panel for lines – and character styles
  • Text > Insert > Spaces And Tabs for lines

3 hours ago, loukash said:

There are still other ways to make stuff look right until a bugfix comes:

• paragraph child styles for full paragraphs
  • Character panel for lines – and character styles
  • Text > Insert > Spaces And Tabs for lines

You are right about that, of course. There is a workaround for almost everything ... nevertheless, a quick correction of the bug would be building confidence.

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Just now, SarahH said:

1.8.6 works fine.

It's the "Desired Letter Spacing" that's broken on v1.8.x

I've hardly ever used this feature myself in the past two decades. But I rarely work with long blocks of justified text.