You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No PDF Passthrough in Designer and Photo

M1000

The passthrough option in the context toolbar is missing in Designer and Photo. It's only in Publisher.

no passthrough

Windows 10 Home 64 / AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.6 GHz / Asus Prime B350-Plus / 32 GB RAM / GeForce RTX 3060 12GB with latest studio drivers
Affinity Suite V2 latest official versions

The option is there. Linked or embedded does not matter. EDIT: Did you place a PDF or something else? Passthrough is only for PDF.

passthrough.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff
9 hours ago, M1000 said:

The passthrough option in the context toolbar is missing in Designer and Photo. It's only in Publisher.

no passthrough

Hi M1000,

Currently it is only possible to use it with single page PDF documents in designer right now. Judging by your screenshot it looks like you're using a multi-page PDF.

8 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Currently it is only possible to use it with single page PDF documents in designer right now.

Patontheforehead. Sorry forgot that one.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Worryingly, at least in the latest beta (I'm waiting a week or so before going 1.9) PDF passthrough doesn't work with PDF/X which is usually a requirement from print service providers - currently, PDF/X files generate a rasterised version of placed PDFs and all 100% blacks become 4 colour blacks, which is not good - PDF for print does work great though and exports as expected with any spots and 100% blacks intact - but my concern is would print service providers automated compliance checks flag these as failed to reach print requirements?  

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

6 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

PDF passthrough doesn't work with PDF/X

It does. But you have to make sure the PDF version is equal or higher than the placed PDF ones. E.g.: Place a X4 PDF and export as X3 and you get an incorrect output, because X4 = PDF version 1.6, whereas X3 = PDF version 1.4. Nothing new, even ID CS6 works like that.

With the Preflight panel of APu you can setup the Compatibility for Passthrough to avoid such problems. Unfortunately AD and AP have no Preflight. If both of them will never get Preflight an additional information of the used PDF version in the Resource Manager would be nice.

------

4 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

It does. But you have to make sure the PDF version is equal or higher than the placed PDF ones.

I usually send PDF/x 4 to my main provider (which passthrough isn't working for me) - I've tried opening a placed pdf in Acrobat and back saving to Acrobat 5.0 and later and still getting the problem with PDF/X-4 export - tried placing a few different pdfs and same result - but 'PDF for print' works great 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

To make sure I understood everything correctly: a) You want to export as X4. b) The resulting PDF is rasterised and has the wrong colours. Could you please upload a simple project with the Affinity document and the linked PDF separately?

------

I don't have any copyright access to the pdf's I've been testing with so I can't really do that - all the PDFs I do have copyright access to don't need passthrough - I just used a few product brochures for testing 

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

14 hours ago, Sean P said:

Currently it is only possible to use it with single page PDF documents in designer right now. Judging by your screenshot it looks like you're using a multi-page PDF.

Thanks for sorting this out. Would be nice if there was a hint to this in the manual.

Windows 10 Home 64 / AMD Ryzen 1700 @ 3.6 GHz / Asus Prime B350-Plus / 32 GB RAM / GeForce RTX 3060 12GB with latest studio drivers
Affinity Suite V2 latest official versions

• Staff
2 minutes ago, M1000 said:

Thanks for sorting this out. Would be nice if there was a hint to this in the manual.

It was a last minute change to the software that did not make it into the documentation. The limitation should be addressed in a patch soon, at which point the documentation will be...correct ;) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (PDF Passthrough fails on Multi Page documents) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.9.1 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon