You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

Is there a requirement of OpenCL acceleration? And why does it have to be specifically DirectX 12 feature 12 when it's meant to be using OpenCL? I'm getting a message telling me I need to be on the latest Windows, or use a newer GPU but I'm on a GPU that should be capable of Direct X 12. It's a Quadro M2000M. I'd appreciate any insight to this, as not only I'm confused but a little disappointed.

Thanks

Edited by Chris James
added tags

28 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @Chris James

See this image from the (Publisher, but it's the same for Photo) Help and a link to Wikipedia (it’s not DirectX 12, it’s Direct3D 12, feature level 12).
Feature levels in Direct3D - Wikipedia

Screenshot 2021-02-05 100420.png

But my graphics card is Maxwell microarchitecture. If it is meaning Maxwell then it must be the second generation of Maxwell, which I'm certain it'll mislead most people. I still don't understand why the requirement would be Direct3D 12 FL 12 when it's asking for OpenCL though. GPU-Z tells me my M2000M, Maxwell-based has DirectX/Direct3D 12 FL 11, so I'm just one version behind. I'm a little sad. Will there ever be extended support for these versions?

I don’t work for Serif so I can’t say what their plans are but I have a feeling that they won’t extend support to older GPUs.
Even if there is some overwhelming clamour for it they might not if it would be too difficult or even impossible for some technical reason or other. (I just squeaked over the line with my primary Intel GPU but not my secondary NVIDIA one.)

I don’t know enough about GPUs to talk about OpenCL/Direct3D but my guess is that the boffins have done their due diligence and selected a feature level that lets them do what they want to do in a way they want to do it. This is the first release which can use GPU acceleration on Windows so we’re kind of lucky that some of us have it at all.

The wording in the Help might be better if it gives more information – or something that non-GPU-gurus like me can understand, or is better-worded to avoid confusion – but it does state that the option will be unavailable if the GPU it finds is not compatible, and they can’t test every possible configuration/chipset.

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

I don’t work for Serif so I can’t say what their plans are but I have a feeling that they won’t extend support to older GPUs.
Even if there is some overwhelming clamour for it they might not if it would be too difficult or even impossible for some technical reason or other. (I just squeaked over the line with my primary Intel GPU but not my secondary NVIDIA one.)

I don’t know enough about GPUs to talk about OpenCL/Direct3D but my guess is that the boffins have done their due diligence and selected a feature level that lets them do what they want to do in a way they want to do it. This is the first release which can use GPU acceleration on Windows so we’re kind of lucky that some of us have it at all.

The wording in the Help might be better if it gives more information – or something that non-GPU-gurus like me can understand, or is better-worded to avoid confusion – but it does state that the option will be unavailable if the GPU it finds is not compatible, and they can’t test every possible configuration/chipset.

It's a shame, I was hoping it'd greatly benefit but I'm going to miss out until hopefully they add an alternative method to this acceleration. I made the move to Affinity for better performance and GPU usage from Photoshop CS5, but even here I'm missing the acceleration.

9 minutes ago, Chris James said:

It's a shame, I was hoping it'd greatly benefit but I'm going to miss out until hopefully they add an alternative method to this acceleration. I made the move to Affinity for better performance and GPU usage from Photoshop CS5, but even here I'm missing the acceleration.

You should run Dxdiag to see the feature levels that you have. Yesterday it was not working on my PC and today its working.

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

They did not have the restriction originally when they released the GPU support during the beta. It caused a lot of problems for those of us with older GPUs or older Windows releases.

I doubt they will relax the restrictions, as I expect they will focus on fixing the remaining isssues for the GPUs that they do support, but which are still not working optimally.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

They did not have the restriction originally when they released the GPU support during the beta. It caused a lot of problems for those of us with older GPUs or older Windows releases.

I doubt they will relax the restrictions, as I expect they will focus on fixing the remaining isssues for the GPUs that they do support, but which are still not working optimally.

Maybe if they iron out those issues it might expand in future, hopefully.

I tested out a trial version of Photoshop CC 2021 and it's capable of using my Nvidia Quadro there, because it's relying more on OpenCL rather than Direct3D 12. If anything I hope they iron them out to be stable enough to utilise older GPUs in future updates.

Maybe the limitation is there for stability reasons. But I haven't been able to try out the older betas to see for myself on this configuration of a laptop. It's a Core i7 4710MQ with the Nvidia Quadro M2000M.