You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Texture line

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @HeikoT,

Welcome to the forums and my apologies for the delayed response here!

On 2/4/2021 at 9:13 PM, HeikoT said:

A curve drawn with drawing pencil shall get Pinseltextur.

This does not work with me in Affinity photo, is there a solution?

Unfortunately Affinity Photo does not have a Pencil tool, unlike Affinity Designer. Can you please confirm for me, what Tool are you using in Affinity Photo to draw this object? The Pen Tool, the Paint Brush Tool?

I have drawn a curve object using the Pen Tool and selecting this option in the Stoke Studio converts the stroke from a Solid Line Style to a Textured Line Style. Do note that selecting this option does not change the visual representation of a basic round stroke, so it may not be obvious that the option is working as expected.

It may be that you're trying to apply a Brush to a Curve object in Affinity Photo - unfortunately this is not supported, as Affinity Photo only has Pixel Brush tools, not a Vector Brush Tool like in Designer.

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

I have drawn a curve object using the Pen Tool and selecting this option in the Stoke Studio converts the stroke from a Solid Line Style to a Textured Line Style. Do note that selecting this option does not change the visual representation of a basic round stroke, so it may not be obvious that the option is working as expected.

I do not understand what you mean by this. Are you saying there is some way in AP to use the Pen Tool to draw a curve that does not use a basic round stroke (& thus would look different if the Texture Line Style button was clicked)?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Apologies, I was simply explaining that it's expected to not see an obvious 'change' when selecting this option in AP - not that it's possible to draw curves using a non-basic round stroke.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Hello everybody,
Hello Dan C,

thank you for your writing regarding my question.
Your question about which tool I use. I mean the pen
with which you can create spline curves.
What do you mean exactly with Textured Line Style but the display is not changed?
Unfortunately, that's exactly what I'm trying to do, I want to move a brush along a spline curve in Affinity Photo like it does in Affinity Designer.
What is the function of the Texture Line icon if not to assign a texture to a line / curve.
Please excuse my mistakes in the language preprocessing, unfortunately my English is not that good, so I use the Google translator to help.

Thank you
stay healthy

• Staff

No problem at all, many thanks for your further explanation!

3 minutes ago, HeikoT said:

I want to move a brush along a spline curve in Affinity Photo like it does in Affinity Designer.

Unfortunately that's simply not possible in Affinity Photo, as it doesn't support the required Vector Brushes that Designer supports, my apologies.

6 minutes ago, HeikoT said:

What is the function of the Texture Line icon if not to assign a texture to a line / curve.

As Affinity Designer files can be edited in Affinity Photo, this option is there to provide compatibility with such files.

If you own both Affinity Photo and Designer, you can use File > Edit in Designer from Affinity Photo to send your document through to the other Affinity app, where you can finish your edits as required!

There's certainly no need to apologise for your English here, it's perfectly understandable - if you wish you're welcome to post in your native tongue and we can translate our answers instead :)

Hallo Dan C,

find ich sehr nett von Dir, dass ich mich in meiner Muttersprache an Dich wenden darf, danke.

Noch eine Frage, da ich nicht weiß ob ein Missverständnis vorliegt.

Ich weis natürlich, dass ich die Affinity Designer-Pinsel nicht in Affinity Photo oder auch umgekehrt, Affinity Photo- Pinsel nicht im Affinity Designer nutzen kann, das möcht ich in diesem Fall ja auch nicht. Während meiner Arbeit wechsle ich regelmäßig zwischen Affinity Photo und Affinity Designer beziehungsweise arbeite im Affinity Designer in der Pixel Persona, da ich oft spezifische Vektor oder Pixel Funktionen nutze.

Mein bemühen in diesem Fall, ist die in Affinity Photo vorhandenen Pinsel zu nutzen und diese entlang einer in Affinity Photo erstellten Kurfe zu führen, hier betreffend, entlang einer mit dem Zeichenstift erstellten Spline-Kurve.

Wenn das Pinsel-Icon(TexturLine) diese Funktion nicht darstellt, welche Funktion hat dieser Button dann und was kan man damit machen?

Bitte entschuldige mein hartnäckiges Fragen.

Danke für deine Aufmerksamkeit und dein Bemühen.

• Staff

Überhaupt kein Problem :)

Leider kann keiner der Pixelpinsel in Affinity Photo oder der Pixelpinsel in Pixel Persona von Affinity Designer auf eine Vektorkurve angewendet werden. Für diese Funktionalität müssen die 'Vektorpinsel' verwendet werden, die in der Designer-Persona von Affinity Designer enthalten sind.

Diese 'Vektorpinsel' wurden erstellt, um Vektorkurven zu folgen, z. B. die, die Sie mit Ihrem Stift zeichnen. Diese Pinsel folgen den von Ihnen erstellten Knoten. In der Regel wird eine Pixeltextur über die Vektorkurve angewendet und im Strichbedienfeld der 'Strukturierte Linienstil' angewendet.

Da Affinity Photo diese 'Vektorpinsel' nicht unterstützt, sehen Sie, dass sich der Strich nicht ändert, wenn Sie im Bedienfeld „Strich“ die Option „Strukturierter Linienstil“ auswählen. Sie müssen Affinity Designer verwenden, wenn Sie diesen visuellen Look auf Ihre Vektorkurven anwenden möchten.

Der Grund für diese Option in Affinity Photo besteht darin, dass Sie alle Kurven bearbeiten können, die möglicherweise aus Affinity Designer bearbeitet / importiert wurden. Angenommen, Sie erstellen ein Dokument in Affinity Designer und wenden einen strukturierten Linienstil auf Ihre Vektorkurve an. Anschließend übertragen Sie dieses Dokument auf Affinity Photo. Leider können Sie den hier verwendeten Pinsel für den strukturierten Linienstil nicht ändern. Diese Option wurde jedoch im Stoke-Bedienfeld belassen, damit Sie diesen Strich in Affinity Photo weiter bearbeiten können.

Um es einfach auszudrücken: Das Strichbedienfeld von Affinity Photo bietet diese Option nur aus Kompatibilitätsgründen und unterstützt die erforderliche Funktion zum nativen Anwenden eines Pinsels auf Ihre Vektorkurve nicht.
Wie bereits erwähnt, ist es meiner Meinung nach die beste Option, das Dokument von Photo an Designer zu senden, wo Sie diesen Look dann auf Ihre Kurven anwenden können.

Ich hoffe das klärt die Dinge auf!

Hallo Dan,

danke dafür dass du Dir die Zeit nimmst und das Thema richtig ausführlich darstellst.

Ich hab jetzt verstanden, es ist schade dass weder in Affinity Photo noch in Affinity Designer/Pixel Persona ein PixelPinsel einer Kontur zugewiesen werden kann. Somit können Pixelpinsel nur mit dem Malpinsel/Farbwechsler im Affinity Pixel-Grafikraum genutzt werden.

Es ist aber möglich die in Affinity Designer vorhandene Pinsel(auch zusätzlich gekaufte) zu nutzen um diese, Konturen in  Affinity Photo zuzuweisen.

Ich hab das gerade probiert,

1.)In Affinity Designer beliebige Kontur erstellt.

2.)In Affinity Designer dieser Kontur ein Affinity Designer Pinsel zugewiesen.

3.)Die Kontur mit Bearbeiten/Kopieren und mit Bearbeiten/Einfügen von Affinity Designer nach Affinity Photo kopiert.

4.)In Affinity Photo das einkopierte Objekt oder dessen Kontur anwählen und rechte Maustaste/Stil erstellen, es wird ein Stil mit dem Affinity Designer Pinsel der der Kopierten Kontur zugewiesen wurde erstellt.

5.)Nun eine in Affinity Photo neu erstellte oder in der Grafik bereits vorhandene Kontur auswählen und hier nun den Texturlinie-Button auswählen, den so kann jetzt dieser Affinity Photo Kontur der zuvor erstellte Stil mit dem Affinity Designer Pinsel zugewiesen werden.

Ich freu mich sehr, dass Du mir behilflich warst, die Thematik Pinselzuordnung auf Kontor in Affinity Photo und Designer zu ferstehen.

Danke Dir

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2021 at 10:13 PM, HeikoT said:

Hello,

a question on Affinity Photo V1.9 Texturlinie.

A curve drawn with drawing pencil shall get Pinseltextur.

This does not work with me in Affinity photo, is there a solution?

The buttonTexture line dont work.

I would be very pleased about an answer.

Thanks.

Yours sincerely

Heiko Till

Screenshot_01 Kopie.jpg

Same problem here (AP version 1.9.1.979): selecting a form or a curve and selecting "Stile trama linea" nothing happen. It seems a bug.

AP_bug01.jpg

• Staff
On 3/27/2021 at 5:28 PM, Paolo Del Signore said:

Same problem here ( AP version 1.9.1.979): selecting a form or a curve and selecting "Stile trama linea" nothing happen. It seems a bug.

On 16.2.2021 at 10:57, Dan C said:

Leider kann keiner der Pixelpinsel in Affinity Photo oder der Pixelpinsel in Pixel Persona von Affinity Designer auf eine Vektorkurve angewendet werden. Für diese Funktionalität müssen die 'Vektorpinsel' verwendet werden, die in der Designer-Persona von Affinity Designer enthalten sind.

Diese 'Vektorpinsel' wurden erstellt, um Vektorkurven zu folgen, z. B. die, die Sie mit Ihrem Stift zeichnen. Diese Pinsel folgen den von Ihnen erstellten Knoten. In der Regel wird eine Pixeltextur über die Vektorkurve angewendet und im Strichbedienfeld der 'Strukturierte Linienstil' angewendet.

Da Affinity Photo diese 'Vektorpinsel' nicht unterstützt, sehen Sie, dass sich der Strich nicht ändert, wenn Sie im Bedienfeld „Strich“ die Option „Strukturierter Linienstil“ auswählen. Sie müssen Affinity Designer verwenden, wenn Sie diesen visuellen Look auf Ihre Vektorkurven anwenden möchten.

Der Grund für diese Option in Affinity Photo besteht darin, dass Sie alle Kurven bearbeiten können, die möglicherweise aus Affinity Designer bearbeitet / importiert wurden. Angenommen, Sie erstellen ein Dokument in Affinity Designer und wenden einen strukturierten Linienstil auf Ihre Vektorkurve an. Anschließend übertragen Sie dieses Dokument auf Affinity Photo. Leider können Sie den hier verwendeten Pinsel für den strukturierten Linienstil nicht ändern. Diese Option wurde jedoch im Stoke-Bedienfeld belassen, damit Sie diesen Strich in Affinity Photo weiter bearbeiten können.

Um es einfach auszudrücken: Das Strichbedienfeld von Affinity Photo bietet diese Option nur aus Kompatibilitätsgründen und unterstützt die erforderliche Funktion zum nativen Anwenden eines Pinsels auf Ihre Vektorkurve nicht.
Wie bereits erwähnt, ist es meiner Meinung nach die beste Option, das Dokument von Photo an Designer zu senden, wo Sie diesen Look dann auf Ihre Kurven anwenden können.

Ich hoffe das klärt die Dinge auf!

I have translated my above post into English and I will copy this below, as this explains why this option doesn't appear to work in Affinity Photo - 

Unfortunately, none of the pixel brushes in Affinity Photo or the pixel brushes in Pixel Persona by Affinity Designer can be applied to a vector curve. For this functionality the 'vector brushes' contained in the designer persona of Affinity Designer must be used.

These 'vector brushes' are created to follow vector curves, e.g. B. the ones you draw with your pen. These brushes follow the nodes you created. Typically a pixel texture is applied over the vector curve and the 'Structured Line Style' is applied in the Strokes panel.

Since Affinity Photo does not support these 'vector brushes', you can see that the stroke does not change when you select Textured Line Style in the Stroke panel. You have to use Affinity Designer if you want to apply this visual look to your vector curves.

The reason for this option in Affinity Photo is that you can edit any curves that may have been edited / imported from Affinity Designer. For example, suppose you are creating a document in Affinity Designer and applying a structured line style to your vector curve. Then transfer this document to Affinity Photo. Unfortunately, you can't change the textured line style brush used here. However, this option has been left in the Stoke control panel so that you can further edit this stroke in Affinity Photo.

To put it simply, Affinity Photo's Strokes panel provides this option for compatibility reasons only and does not support the functionality required to natively apply a brush to your vector curve.
As mentioned earlier, in my opinion, the best option is to send the document from Photo to Designer, where you can then apply this look to your curves.

I hope that clears things up!