You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Passthrough for Batch Jobs

Hi Serif,

the new PDF passthrough feature is quite remarkable, but I think the Batch Job feature would really benefit from having this as an option as well. Right now, batch conversions in Affinity Photo are not really suitable for PDF documents since you need to have all the fonts installed that are used in the PDF to get predictable results. A simple PDF passthrough checkbox in the New Batch Job dialog would be enough. And while we're at it: Why do I have to place a PDF document to get the passthrough option? Shouldn't this also be available when opening a PDF file?

Greetings
kaffeeundsalz

10 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

Why do I have to place a PDF document to get the passthrough option? Shouldn't this also be available when opening a PDF file?

If you Open the file, it has to be interpreted. You need the fonts, and the Affinity application has to perform a complete layout of the data. Passthrough simply does what it says. It lets a PDF flow through the Affinity application completely untouched, from the source into an output PDF file.

The same would have to apply to New Batch Job.

Think of PassThrough as a step along the way to more complete support, where Affinity would be able to use the embedded fonts in a PDF to perform the layout.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @walt.farrell,

I really don't get it. I do know how PDF passthrough is different from interpreting a PDF file. And I see that Affinity interprets a PDF on opening. I just don't see why this should be a necessary behavior given that a placed PDF with passthrough enabled perfectly exports as raster images as well, with all the fonts correct etc. All I ask is to be able to do this in batch, too – rather than creating a new document with the same dimensions as the PDF, place the PDF inside of that document, go to the Export dialog and set PNG as the output format to finally get a result. And then repeat this for each PDF.