You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher: Request

• 6 months later...

Just to set the scene. I am an academic publisher.

I have a dream... As a starting point assume that each project will be based on 4 or more crappy word files from author who do not have the faintest idea of how to properly use styles or formatting, with documents which have been copied and reused since the days of Word Perfect containing tens upon tens of unused or duplicate styles. If you can import all files and easily format the body text and the footnotes/endnotes to your own specifications you'll have a winner. Currently this is way too complicated and buggy in InDesign and Quark with multiple nested styles. I am currently working on a book built up of 8 Word files, written by someone who is no good with computers (if authors knew how to properly format and publish a book then there would be no need for publishers) containing about 1000 footnotes. It seems to me that Adobe and Quark assume that each book is created by importing flawless and properly formatted Word documents which leads me to think that none of the people who are responsible for creating the applications actually use it in real world publishing.

I would gladly be an alfa/beta tester if it means having any say in the way Publisher handles importing Word files (which like it or not is what 99% of all authors use).

I'd throw away Adobe and Quark in a heartbeat. I already have Designer and Photo and would be happy to include Publisher on that list.

Best regards

Geir Rosset

Novus Press

Oslo

Norway

• Staff

Hi Geir Rosset,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Thanks for your feedback. There will be an open Beta available during a few months before the release for testing and feedback purposes. It will be announced here in the forums and social media and you will only have to sign-up (e-mail) to participate. The Beta program should start closer to the end of this year.

I started with Pagemaker years ago and switched to Quark XPress.  I've published three books in Quark XPress and more newsletters and booklets, etc than I can count.  I presently have two Website and act as a consultant on two more.  I have books published in hard copy, e-pub, and pdf.

What I would like to have is a page layout program that I can teach to other people that do the same sort of things.  Right now Quark XPress is way too complicated and InDesign is way too expensive.  Mac killed off Pages when they went to the IOS version.  

I'll look forward to Affinity Publisher and will participate in the beta version.  I have done a lot of beta testing of Mac programs in the past and used to be a certified Mac developer years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Be nice to have good links/syncing with Scrivener. 

Perhaps just starting with the InDesign approach of picking up .rtf from a Scrivener sync'd external folder - but hopefully smoother.

Exactly this.

I'm a writer who direct publishes using CreateSpace, and helps others get their books published this way. 

I build my books in Scrivener then have to go through the hell of Word.

So:

1.I'd be delighted by maximum compatibility between Scrivener (also mac-focused)

2. Make headers and footers painless

3. As Word 2011 for mac has no functionality that embeds fonts, that is a must

4. The ability to flatten all layers

5. Formatting for Kindle etc

If I think of more I'll add them