You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feathering object edge in Affinity Designer

You might get some suggestions if you give an example of the sort of thing you want to give a feathered edge to and say what you mean by ‘feathered’ as different people will have different ideas about what that means.
If you can give a visual example that already exists then that will also help.

@GarryP Thanks for forcing me into the rubber duck mode of communication with myself to work it out. It turns out I wanted a gaussian blur on the object. I have attached a screenshot for those who might come across this thread later asking a similar question.

FeatheredEdge-GaussianBlur-AffinityDesigner.jpg

Edited by mann
tried out @firstdefense suggestion on resizing posted image. Thanks.

@mann Re the image being big, you can double click on the image to get the scaling tools while creating the post.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, MickRose said:

A nicer way is to create a mask (with any non-empty fill) and apply the Gaussian blur to the mask. Works well for photos.

image.png.f7463d68238f9b1334f7da6fb05a0ed4.png

@MickRose Would you be able to provide steps on how I get the mask layer in place to then apply a gaussian blur to the mask?

1. Duplicate the shape
  2. Right click and select mask to below
  3. Select the mask and add a gaussian blur
  4. Now reduce the size of the mask a bit (the duplicate used to create the mask)

The premise of this method is it does not apply a gaussian blur over the whole of the shape, only the edge, which is why it's good for images.
image.png.7d2353a7a41ed002e4c307d623ec850b.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions