You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to Register Affinity Photo

2 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

@LFace

At the head of this thread there is a black box, labelled "Following".  Click on it and one of the options then displayed is "Unfollow".  Click on it.

(I see @Alfred beat me to it, though with a slightly different method!)

Jeff

I was going to suggest your simpler method, Jeff, but then it occurred to me to check the ‘Who follows this’ list (displayed when you click on the number of followers) whereupon I found that @LFace wasn’t listed there.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 hours ago, Leigh said:

It's the correct link. I've just installed LittleSnitch and if I stop Affinity Publisher from connecting to serifservices.com then I get Failed to connect message in the app.

Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 10.17.11.png

Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 10.17.25.png

Do you have the same rule in LittleSnitch?

No, as I said, i have literally 0 rule about Affinity :

little_snitch_affinity.png.4f8f6ff394c5ade41f3d6a078db7d348.png

And I get the same error with LS totally turned off anyway.

When trying to access https://www.serifservices.com/ as suggested, I end up here :

firefox.png.522899c88635e0990b64ccbb820d2906.png

Same on Chrome, but he's a little more verbose : "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN". Something's definitely weird here !

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Milk said:

Same on Chrome, but he's a little more verbose : "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN". Something's definitely weird here !

There's nothing weird about your finding that https://www.serifservices.com/ not being a public facing URL, it is just a service provider for the My Account. Your problem lies elsewhere

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

it occurred to me to check the ‘Who follows this’ list (displayed when you click on the number of followers) whereupon I found that @LFace wasn’t listed there.

@Alfred

I think the problem here is that @LFace actually started this thread and so is "automatically" following it?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

19 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

I think the problem here is that @LFace actually started this thread and so is "automatically" following it?

That should depend on one’s notification settings, as far as I know, and even if starting a thread results in your following it you should still be listed as a follower (in which case it’s easy to unfollow).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 2/12/2021 at 2:05 PM, Leigh said:

Danke für den Screenshot. Das ist eine Nachricht, die ich noch nie gesehen habe. Ist es möglich, die neueste Beta herunterzuladen, um festzustellen, ob beim Versuch, Ihr Konto zu registrieren, dasselbe Problem auftritt? https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/134261-affinity-photo-windows-customer-beta-191952/

• Staff

Pleased to hear that you are registered

25 minutes ago, lavapit said:

May I uninstall the regular Affinity Photo? 

No please don't, just wait for the new release, due this week. Uninstalling the release may stop the beta from running as it requires to find a licensed version to function

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
On 2/19/2021 at 4:56 PM, Milk said:

No, as I said, i have literally 0 rule about Affinity :

And I get the same error with LS totally turned off anyway.

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure that you switch on Alert Mode in LittleSnitch as this will alert you to all connections to the internet. As soon Publisher tries to connect to the internet LittleSnitch should alert you and give you the option to save a rule giving Publisher permanent access to the internet.

Little Snitch is already on alert mode, and since there's no rule about any Affinity products (problem is the same with all the 3 of them that I bought together) I agree a popup should warn me about a connection attempt, but it's not.

That plus the fact that :

• totally turned off LS doesn't change anything
  • "Check for updates" leads me to a "Update Error! An error occurred in retrieving update information. Please try again later." pops up
  • even my browsers can't access http://serifservices.com/

I suspect something prevents my whole computer to access Serif's servers, whereas I can totally access the store page with my account. My head hurts ! 😅

Is there a way I can ping some IP through Terminal to investigate this lead ?

• Staff

There's not much else I can suggest, as when I installed LittleSnitch I was warned that our app was trying to connect to our web services. Perhaps you should contact LittleSnitch to see if they can figure out why you're not getting alerted even though you have it set to alert mode. The url http://serifservices.com/ isn't public facing so what you're seeing is correct.

I have updated to 1.9.1 and I have literally uninstalled Little Snitch (like removing referenced files in /library, plist  etc.) and still the same issue.

I've asked to my official geek, he told me 2 things :

- the app's connection attempt doesn't even seem to reach the computer's network layer, hence LS, onboard Network Monitor or Wireshark not seeing it

- he has seen cases where languages settings could cause issues (he told me about list separators...) and my macOS is actually in French. Could this be a lead ?

I've seen on other threads here that Windows users with the same issue were told to install the beta version and some of them reported it was a success. I'm not sure it would be any help for mac version, but I can't even try since apparently I must register my products to access beta versions... it's going circle.

2 minutes ago, Milk said:

I'm not sure it would be any help for mac version, but I can't even try since apparently I must register my products to access beta versions...

No, you do not need to register your products to use the beta versions. You merely need to have the retail products installed. Registration is a separate function.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
On 3/5/2021 at 3:01 PM, Milk said:

I have updated to 1.9.1 and I have literally uninstalled Little Snitch (like removing referenced files in /library, plist  etc.) and still the same issue.

I've asked to my official geek, he told me 2 things :

- the app's connection attempt doesn't even seem to reach the computer's network layer, hence LS, onboard Network Monitor or Wireshark not seeing it

- he has seen cases where languages settings could cause issues (he told me about list separators...) and my macOS is actually in French. Could this be a lead ?

I've seen on other threads here that Windows users with the same issue were told to install the beta version and some of them reported it was a success. I'm not sure it would be any help for mac version, but I can't even try since apparently I must register my products to access beta versions... it's going circle.

Sorry for the delay in replying. When you start the app, do you see the content on the Welcome Screen? Are you able to download any samples from within the app?

Hi Leigh,

Yes, when I start the app the splashscreen is displayed :

1940005887_Capturedecran2021-03-10a21_12_45.png.c0a0f516abfd9b748af77c1157b57468.png

The screen inviting me to get the pack when I click the top-right account icon shows up as well :

1161648933_Capturedecran2021-03-10a21_13_12.png.5bcc890aed6c7e499fc3aecfeb6aa026.png

The " We're sorry" screen appears whether I click "Register now" or "Sign in now!"

And if I select "Check for updates" in the menu, I instantly get :

1111766727_Capturedecran2021-03-10a21_13_29.png.112422241f884134f648108a28da2e18.png

Everything seems like all 3 Affinity apps (and only those) just can't communicate with the outside world !

It's not that bad (for now) since the apps run pretty well besides that. I just want to be sure I will be able the packs anytime in the future, when the problem will be solved 🤞💡

For the record : beta version (thanks walt.ferrell) didn't change anything

• Staff

@Milk Sorry for the delay in replying. Strange that removing LittleSnitch had no affect and you're getting a Update Error. Do you have any hardware firewall? We've not had other reports of this to be honest but I wonder what would happen if you create a new test user account on macOS and try using that? 

@Leigh No firewall at all. The apps are on my laptop that I connect either from 2 totally different home internet providers and the office network with no problem besides this one.
As you suggested, i'm gonna try with a new user account (with admin privileges I assume) and let you know.

• Staff
21 hours ago, Milk said:

Exact same errors with a fresh admin account 😕

Maybe I could try on some friend's mac (but i don't know if it fits Affinity's policy) ?

Thanks for trying. Yes that's fine as long as you remove the licence details from their machine after testing: 

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply

On my friend's MacBook Pro early 2013 running Catalina, everything works fine, he can totally access the registration screen and the check update is performed.

af1.jpg.6aac77ee5c591483b712cec65fd51ad3.jpg

af2.jpg.3171020a500fc8c02ede653a6ff6b900.jpg

So there's definitely something on my computer that prevents Affinity's apps to call home, and i run out of ideas.

Thanks for trying.

• 2 weeks later...