You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.9 Adjustments don't work

Nazario

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Mine is a bit different to your problem though. I click on any adjustment and it shows the change choices but no adjustment box. I have to click on one of the change choices which then brings up the adjustment box, already with the change I've clicked on, even though I don't want it! I then have to click on reset (if I don't want the adjustment) to put it back to normal so that I can then edit. Once editing is finished with this particular adjustment  I have to closed the edit box and then click on the adjustment to close that. Choosing another adjustment doesn't close that adjustment box as before and it's very easy to end up with a slew of open adjustments. Lots more unnecessary work!

• Staff

Hi @Nazario,
Selecting an Adjustment category no longer opens the default preset by default (and add the respective adjustment to the Layers panel). You have now to explicitly click/select an adjustment's preset to apply it to the image/see the respective adjustment dialog. The original behaviour was causing some workflow issues and we changed it in this last update (v1.9). Note that you can also add adjustments through the Adjustments button on the bottom of the Layers panel.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

The original behaviour was causing some workflow issues

Yep. And then some.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

we changed it in this last update (v1.9)

I, for one, consider this a Quite A Good Thing™.
There's still room for UI improvement though. ;)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff

Hi @Ra Ho,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm not sure you are aware but you can also add adjustments through the Adjustments icon on the bottom of the Layers panel - it lets you pick the one you want from a list and adds it to the layer stack/displays the adjustment dialog immediately.

12 hours ago, Ra Ho said:

Please find an answer.

16 minutes ago, MEB said:

you can also add adjustments through the Adjustments icon on the bottom of the Layers panel

… not to speak of the Layer menu > New Adjustment Layer > …
AND:
Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Layer > New Adjustment Layer ➤ … [    ]

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

As I said in my opening post though clicking an adjustment doesn't do ANYTHING. Clicking Darken or whatever does not darken the image and no panel opens up to amend. I don't use affinity anymore and im checking out what my dad has told me as he is the one using it. The new way described by MEB sounds like another strange decision regarding usability. 

Does that mean (if it worked) that if you wanted to Posterise something for example that you would have to click Posterise > Harsh even if you didn't want harsh and then reset it and change the settings thereafter or am I misunderstanding it? I cant check it as neither my dads or my copy works. Sometimes even the icons in the adjustment panels don't show up. Sometimes they are all solid white, sometimes its just a word like 'Lighten' in the panel. Im pretty sure its bugged.

Yes I appreciate there are other ways to create Adjustment layers but my dad used the adjustment panel for ease, now its just confusing.

• Staff

Hi @Nazario,
We changed the Adjustments panel behaviour because it was causing issues with other workflows (for example it was replacing adjustments set earlier in the Layers panel when you clicked the same Adjustments category in the Adjustments panel).

Regarding your issue, if you aren't able to even select the presets directly there's something wrong going on. Are you using the app in separated mode? And with a mouse or with a Wacom tablet?

23 minutes ago, MEB said:

(for example it was replacing adjustments set earlier in the Layers panel when you clicked the same Adjustments category in the Adjustments panel).

Would that not be a bug that needed fixing then and not a reason to change the UI?

App is used in separated mode using a mouse. Which reminds me that another bug related to separated mode is that the top of the toolbar gets cut off every time you use the develop persona. This has been persistent for a long time.

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @Nazario,
We changed the Adjustments panel behaviour because it was causing issues with other workflows (for example it was replacing adjustments set earlier in the Layers panel when you clicked the same Adjustments category in the Adjustments panel).

Regarding your issue, if you aren't able to even select the presets directly there's something wrong going on. Are you using the app in separated mode? And with a mouse or with a Wacom tablet?

Thanks for both explications and I can understand the reasoning and, now that it's been explained, it works fine and I'll soon get used to it.

• Staff

Hi @Nazario,
Please quit Separated Mode and try applying an adjustment from the Adjustments panel in regular/Windowed mode. Does it work for you then? It should, let me know if not.

Regarding the changes in behaviour: The Adjustments panel category buttons are intended to be used to select and expand/collapse a category - not to add/create a preset. We changed this because the original behaviour was causing interference with certain workflows as i mentioned above - see this thread for more info/discussion around the issue. Maybe we can consider a toggle/preference for the behaviour later - it's difficult to please everyone one. As of now the current behaviour in v1.9 is by design/how it should work (not a bug).