You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer and Photo 1.9.0 Will Not Open

Same thing happened to me, except that it finishes loading the program and then it suddenly closes, without showing any kind of error message.

This is what happened to me on Designer, but Photo loads perfectly fine. The only difference between my setups is that Designer keeps my projects opened after closing the software.

I also noticed that this new version asks you to log in with your account, which was not present before 1.9, the issue could be related to that.

Windows 10 here too.

1 hour ago, IkariShinji29 said:

Had the same issue (startup screen briefly showing, then nothing), but only on a notebook with integrated Intel graphics. Updating the Intel drivers to the newest version solved the issue for me, all three apps will now start as expected.

That fixed the issue for me as well. Thank you so much! :)

6 hours ago, D’T4ils said:

Sadly that did not do the trick for me :(

Are you sure you really are on the latest graphics driver?

Especially on notebooks graphics devices often come with a driver supplied by the notebook's manufacturer, that can be significantly older than the latest driver by the device's manufacturer. In my case the integrated Intel graphics were running on a driver by HP from 2017 - shown as the "latest" in Windows Update - while the most recent driver from Intel was from January 2021.

Please note that Windows will not install Intel's latest driver over the notebook manufacturer supplied ones automatically. You will have to check and install manually.

15 hours ago, Hman1234 said:

I updated Designer and Photo to 1.9.0. Now neither one will open. The launch window shows up for a couple of seconds and then it disappears and nothing else happens. I am working on Windows 10.

Can you look in %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports and attach the most recent crash dump that you can find please?

10 hours ago, D’T4ils said:

Sadly that did not do the trick for me :(

I received the following from support. Maybe this will work for you.

1. Try resetting each of the apps, hold down CTRL and open, when the window appears, release the key and click Clear. If this doesn't resolve the issue try 2.

2. We've had reports that our apps no longer start after installing the Windows 10 October 2020 (20H2) update. This update is changing the default Device profile in Colour Management to a Virtual profile. Go to Color Management > Advanced > Windows Color System Defaults and change the Device profile from scRGB virtual device model profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Once changed, the app should run as expected.

8 hours ago, IkariShinji29 said:

Are you sure you really are on the latest graphics driver?

Yes, indeed. I checked through Windows Update first, but nothing came up, so I found an Intel app (Intel Driver & Support Assistant) that checks for latest drivers and updated mine. I even updated my NVIDIA drivers but that didn't help either.

BUT this is what actually worked :D:

4 hours ago, Hman1234 said:

1. Try resetting each of the apps, hold down CTRL and open, when the window appears, release the key and click Clear. If this doesn't resolve the issue try 2.

Thank you very much, guys, for all your help. I honestly appreciate it :)

On 2/5/2021 at 6:28 PM, Mark Ingram said:

That event log was very useful thanks. Do you have a log file that you could share?

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Log.txt

or

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Log.txt

Sorry the late reply. Here it goes:

[DXCore] Found 2 adapters
Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
	Version: 23.20.16.4974
	IsHardware: Yes
	Supports D3D12 Feature Level 12.0: Yes
	HardwareID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5912&SUBSYS_86940000&REV_04
	LUID: 0xB75C
Microsoft Basic Render Driver