You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"My Account" Grayed Out

I just upgraded to the 1.9 update on my  Mac desktop. It upgraded normally but when I went to the "my account" option under the "Affinity Designer' title, it's grayed out. Clicking on the person icon on the far right upper side of the application does not do anything either. I wondered if it was due to having the beta still installed, so I removed the beta from the machine entirely and restarted the official 1.9 Affinity Designer again. Same issue - greyed out and clicking the person icon does nothing.
My Designer and Photo apps on the mac were purchased through the mac app store. I later purchased Publisher for mac directly from Affinity. I just updated Publisher to 1.9 on mac (I never used the beta for this one) to see if it would allow me access to "my account", and it also did not allow access - greyed out, icon does nothing when clicked. So I'm assuming it's not a matter of being purchased from the app store or directly from affinity.

During the 1.9 beta period, I was never able to log in and successfully register my apps from my Mac desktop machine. It would always hang at the connection point and tell me it was not able to register at that time. I was able to do so successfully using my windows laptop and respective windows beta 1.9 versions of the apps.

BLD 2021-02-04 at 12.03.43.png

When you first run the program, rather than the normal Welcome screen, you should get a special "Register your application" window.

I don't think you can use My Account until you've done that registration. But on Windows, if you try to it just brings up that window.

I'm not sure what's happening on your system. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

you should get a special "Register your application" window.

Nope, looks to not work at all for MAS versions then at all (I've checked for Designer & Photo v.1.9.0)! - I wonder how that is supposed to treat MAS installed apps here?

AFAI can say the "My Account" menu item and also the top bar "My Account button" are always disabled here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@walt.farrell When I would use the betas for 1.9, I often got the automated box asking me to register or sign in. When I closed that box (without doing anything to register, etc), I could still bring it up by pressing the "My Account" option. Since installing the official 1.9 update, I don't ever get the automated popup registration box (just the nameplate)

I didn't used beta versions at all, just the releases which appeared today. There was no registration panel or the like shown up and the "My Account" menu and widget are always greyed out!

If I was meant (?), MacOS El Capitan, see my signature!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

OK thank you for clearing that up for me. I guess I never considered that because the Beta allowed for the first step in the process even on El Capitan. Was the lack of being able to connect to register or confirm registration on El Capitan during the beta period a sign that it wasn't going to work and needed to be pulled?

Looking forward to the day I can use the newest operating systems and Affinity 100% of the time - completely free of Adobe CS6

• Staff
5 hours ago, Boldlinedesign said:

OK thank you for clearing that up for me. I guess I never considered that because the Beta allowed for the first step in the process even on El Capitan. Was the lack of being able to connect to register or confirm registration on El Capitan during the beta period a sign that it wasn't going to work and needed to be pulled?

I understand that it worked for some people on El Capitan, with a late enough version of Safari. Disabling the feature on El Capitan was a simple solution to avoid a complicated problem of detecting Browser and JavaScript capabilities in a sandboxed app. Perhaps @Tom Lachecki can find a way to do a more sophisticated prerequisites test in a future release. Thanks for your feedback.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, MEB said:

The My Account feature requires macOS Sierra or above.

It would be more ‘user friendly’ to have the menu entry enabled for everyone, invoking the My Account feature where possible but providing an explanatory dialog for everyone else.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just upgraded to 1.9 on my Mac. It refreshes fine, but whenever I go to the "My account under the heading "Affinity Designer," option it turns gray. I've tried turning off employee monitoring and rebooting the computer yet the size of the person icon in the top application doesn't change." I thought, it was because the beta version was still installed so I completely uninstalled it from my computer and re-launched the official Affinity Designer 1.9. Same problem-the gray color is still there and clicking on the person icon doesn't do anything.

39 minutes ago, JaneKing said:

Just upgraded to 1.9 on my Mac. It refreshes fine, but whenever I go to the "My account under the heading "Affinity Designer," option it turns gray. I've tried turning off employee monitoring and rebooting the computer yet the size of the person icon in the top application doesn't change." I thought, it was because the beta version was still installed so I completely uninstalled it from my computer and re-launched the official Affinity Designer 1.9. Same problem-the gray color is still there and clicking on the person icon doesn't do anything.

It only works for MacOS Sierra or newer. What version of MacOS do you have?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 month later...

I just installed Affinity Photo 1.9.3 on macOS 10.15.7 Catalina, and the My Account option is grayed out both in the top right corner and in the Affinity Photo menu.  I purchased the Ivan Weiss LUT pack and am trying to install them.  Is it because I'm just using a trial of the program?

Edited by Brian S

43 minutes ago, Brian S said:

I just installed Affinity Photo 1.9.3 on macOS 10.15.7 Catalina, and the My Account option is grayed out both in the top right corner and in the Affinity Photo menu.  I purchased the Ivan Weiss LUT pack and am trying to install them.  Is it because I'm just using a trial of the program?

I would have expected it to work, as the trial version generally has the same functions as the retail version, and no limitations. And your version of MacOS should support it. But perhaps this is an area where there is a limitation.

You can download your LUT pack from your account at the Affinity Store, https://affinity.store/account/downloads, and once downloaded you should be able to import the LUTs manually via the LUT Adjustment category in the Adjustments panel.

image.png.a315882facc849e157f304ad35b655ad.png

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

@Brian S

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

The trial doesn't support the My Account feature, sorry. We did not foresee many users spending money on content without buying the software, but Walt is correct in that everything sold on the store can be used without that feature.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 1 year later...