You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PC: 8700k (6 core 4.7 ghz), 32 gb RAM, RTX 3080

For me all of the programs are quite laggy. Even for single page documents. CPU usage will spike into the 40-70% range briefly, even for simply moving text boxes or shapes around.  Never had this problem in the past 6 months.   I updated the programs and it had no effect.  I did a CPU and GPU benchmark and the PC is fine. 

Is anyone else having issues? I am using the most recent build

• Staff

Hi @CaptainAHAB10111,

Apologies for the delayed response here and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with version 1.9.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:15 PM, CaptainAHAB10111 said:

Even for single page documents

Am I correct in assuming you're using Publisher here? If so, there is a known issue when the Paragraph Studio is visible that causes the apps to slow down. Closing or hiding this Studio will speed things up, this is something our devs are working to fix.

Equally, our latest update implemented OpenCL Hardware Acceleration to Windows, which utilises your Graphics Card to help render the Affinity document.

A few users are experiencing issues with this enabled, the number one cause of which is outdated Graphics Card drivers. Please visit the manufactures link below to download the latest driver available - 

Once downloaded and installed, please restart your computer and then launch the Affinity app and try again - hopefully you should find this is no longer lagging for you!

If you're still having trouble then we can disable OpenCL support, please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and untick Hardware Acceleration. Restart the app as prompted and then try opening a document once again. Does this resolve the lagging? :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

thanks for the reply,

I have had no luck after:

1) updating windows drivers

2) nvidia drivers

3) deleting and re-downloading affinity on several different solid state drives (Currently on NVME SSD)

4) toggling on/off hardware acceleration

I have however noticed that if use the program on my secondary screen (1080p resolution) as opposed to using my primary screen (1440p resolution), then there is no slow down in the program using secondary screen

As soon as I move the program over to the primary screen then it will start to lag/chug.

Andrew B

• Staff

Thanks for trying that and I'm sorry to hear this Andrew!

On 2/9/2021 at 3:14 PM, Dan C said:

Am I correct in assuming you're using Publisher here? If so, there is a known issue when the Paragraph Studio is visible that causes the apps to slow down. Closing or hiding this Studio will speed things up, this is something our devs are working to fix.

Can you please confirm for me, did you make sure that the Paragraph Studio was closed within your app?

8 minutes ago, CaptainAHAB10111 said:

I have however noticed that if use the program on my secondary screen (1080p resolution) as opposed to using my primary screen (1440p resolution), then there is no slow down in the program using secondary screen

That's certainly strange as I have a very similar monitor setup here (1440p primary, 1080p secondary) and I'm not seeing this same issue! Is your primary monitor running at a high refresh rate - perhaps with Gsync enabled?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 2/9/2021 at 9:14 AM, Dan C said:

Thank you for this, Dan C. My Publisher has been laggy and jerky ever since the 1.9 update. All I did was close the Paragraph Studio--and like magic, everything was pleasantly snappy again. I look forward to the update that will fix this.

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for trying that and I'm sorry to hear this Andrew!

Can you please confirm for me, did you make sure that the Paragraph Studio was closed within your app?

Thank you Dan, Disabling Paragraph Studio definitely improved things. I do have G-sync on, ill try disabling and report back. Just odd the the 1080p/1440p difference is apparent. Especially when GPU load is very low. 

Thanks again

• Staff

Glad to hear this, our developers are working to release a beta version update where this is fixed as quickly as possible :)

13 hours ago, CaptainAHAB10111 said:

I do have G-sync on, ill try disabling and report back.

Thanks for letting me know! I specifically asked as other users had reported 'hitching' with G-sync and after discussing this with nVidia, they confirmed there was an issue in the latest nVidia driver, as seen here - 

Hopefully this will improve with the upcoming nVidia driver :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff
18 hours ago, CaptainAHAB10111 said:

Thank you Dan, Disabling Paragraph Studio definitely improved things.

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (displaying the paragraph panel slows the app) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.9.1 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon