You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apps won't launch on Win10 after Upgrade to 1.9

48 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

@Mark Ingram Mark does it also handle now the possible Capture One side effects automatically, or detects it and pops up some information panel related to that problem?

No, the crash fix is only related to bad OpenCL drivers, the Capture One crash is related to NVIDIA drivers (and there's nothing we can do about it unfortunately).

So, the word to all customers with nVidia graphics cards:  you're out of luck and should not update Affinity products to 1.9 level.  Is that it?

I have been using nVidia cards since I first purchased all 3 Affinity products and in the last 18 months I haven't updated my nVidia drivers, yet on Feb 4 when I updated Photo and Designer--both refused to launch and it's nVidia's problem?

I think the White House is looking for a new press secretary, lol.

2 minutes ago, Walter Raczynski said:

So, the word to all customers with nVidia graphics cards:  you're out of luck and should not update Affinity products to 1.9 level.  Is that it?

I have been using nVidia cards since I first purchased all 3 Affinity products and in the last 18 months I haven't updated my nVidia drivers, yet on Feb 4 when I updated Photo and Designer--both refused to launch and it's nVidia's problem?

Did you ever update to 1.9 again and verify whether disabling the new OpenCL Hardware Acceleration fixes the problem for you?

If it does, then it sounds to me that the "word to all customers with Nvidia cards" is don't enable the new Affinity acceleration until Nvidia fixes their drivers". Or possibly "don't use Capture 1 until they fix their problem".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, Walter Raczynski said:

I think the White House is looking for a new press secretary, lol.

No, the word is, if you have Capture One installed, they have a bug in their software, and it's causing a crash in NVIDIA drivers. I have reported the issue to NVIDIA. You can prevent the crash as described in my post:

Replying to Mark:
Since my attempted update to AP and AD on Feb 4 and my subsequent uninstall and re-install of 1.8.something of each I have not had the time to fiddle with development issues.
You should know that at least on my system:  crash happens right after splash and there is no opportunity to get into the settings.  I was simply wondering when this matter would be closed and when it would be safe to update.  Funny that the "nVidia" bug which was present for previous versions of AP and AD were not an issue but is an issue for 1.9.  This temporality informs me that it is Affinity that did not conform to nVidia, not the other way around.  Its all about causality.

Cheers,

Walter

1 hour ago, Walter Raczynski said:

unny that the "nVidia" bug which was present for previous versions of AP and AD were not an issue but is an issue for 1.9.  This temporality informs me that it is Affinity that did not conform to nVidia, not the other way around.  Its all about causality.

1.9 Hardware Acceleration did not exist in 1.8 or earlier releases. So Affinity is doing something new, but (they believe) legitimate, and it exposes the issue in the Nvidia code that was always there but never triggered by the earlier releases.

As for "it happens before you can do something about it":

or:

(I believe both of those approaches are relatively recent.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

997 starts up ok.

If you try to enable HW acc. in Pref. - note: the checkbox is enabled - you get a message telling the highly estimated user that he, she or it is sitting on a crappy Windows version. 😊

Hmm.

Isn't that always the case?

1 minute ago, simono said:

you get a message telling the highly estimated user that he, she or it is sitting on a crappy Windows version.

Unless they've changed the message, it doesn't really talk about the Windows version. It tells you the Windows version you need, and something about the kind of hardware. And then it tells you your Windows version. Often, the Windows version is just fine, which means that the message is really telling you that the hardware is crappy :)

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Walter Raczynski said:

Replying to Mark:
Since my attempted update to AP and AD on Feb 4 and my subsequent uninstall and re-install of 1.8.something of each I have not had the time to fiddle with development issues.
You should know that at least on my system:  crash happens right after splash and there is no opportunity to get into the settings.  I was simply wondering when this matter would be closed and when it would be safe to update.  Funny that the "nVidia" bug which was present for previous versions of AP and AD were not an issue but is an issue for 1.9.  This temporality informs me that it is Affinity that did not conform to nVidia, not the other way around.  Its all about causality.

Cheers,

Walter

With regards to Capture One and NVIDIA crashes, these have always been present and aren't unique to 1.9. If your issue is specific to 1.9, then that needs investigating. If you have crash reports, I would love to see them so I can determine what is causing the crashes at startup. Feel free to install the beta, as it will install alongside the retail version. Then if you get a crash, please upload the report.

17 hours ago, v_kyr said:

VB Express? - That's written in C# not VB, so you must have VBE on your system. Can it be you clicked on the wrong "DependenciesGui.exe.config" file instead of "DependenciesGui.exe"?

Otherwise try it's CLI (command line interface) version (Dependencies.exe -- don't use mistakenly the Dependencies.exe.config ) via PowerShell or a CommandShell.

So there we have it. The other night a poltergeist came down the chimney and switched off all my file extension displays. Ergo - dependenciesGui.exe.config became dependenciesGui.exe.

The real "dependenciesGui.exe" works.

However I cannot find anything wrong. Nothing in the DLL hierarchies seems to be missing. In other words, all is well and any malfunction must be a fata morgana. Or at least, not the result of a missing component.

To sum it up - all I really know is that all available Intel graphics drivers newer than 2018 do not work for openCL on my (old) machine. This statement holds for the latest driver pulled in by the special Intel utility I downloaded off their website for finding and installing Intel drivers.

On 3/6/2021 at 9:27 AM, simono said:

However I cannot find anything wrong. Nothing in the DLL hierarchies seems to be missing. In other words, all is well and any malfunction must be a fata morgana. Or at least, not the result of a missing component.

Well it's more a matter of the direct execution of certain DLL internal functions here, than listing/scanning dependent DLL hierarchies.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

This is off topic, but I do not know how I can otherwise reach out to @Mark Ingram.

I am on a new system - see my thread Frequent Bluescreens of Death.

The new system is an i7 and has an extra getforce graphics card - i.e. it has two graphics platforms.

Affinity Photo 1.9.1 does not allow me to choose the graphics card to be used fyor acceleration. It list the cards as (approx.) "Intel, GetForce" or "GetForce, Intel" depending on various Windows settings. I cannot manually select GetForce.

The other programs I have allow me to choose. Wondershare Filmora 10 lists both platforms, Topaz AI Sharpen list both platforms - and I can choose in both cases.

You seem to be using the first in your horizontal single field "list". This is not the way to do it.

I actually need Intel - because of openVINO - for Topaz and I probably need GetForce for Affinity. My suspicion is that the Intel driver is causing Affinity to crash. That is why I must be able to choose. I cannot simply disable the Intel driver, quite apart from the fact that I need the Intel platform to get a desktop using a lower resolution to get larger, more readable fonts under icons, in menus etc.

On 3/14/2021 at 7:45 AM, simono said:

This is off topic, but I do not know how I can otherwise reach out to @Mark Ingram.

I am on a new system - see my thread Frequent Bluescreens of Death.

The new system is an i7 and has an extra getforce graphics card - i.e. it has two graphics platforms.

Affinity Photo 1.9.1 does not allow me to choose the graphics card to be used fyor acceleration. It list the cards as (approx.) "Intel, GetForce" or "GetForce, Intel" depending on various Windows settings. I cannot manually select GetForce.

The other programs I have allow me to choose. Wondershare Filmora 10 lists both platforms, Topaz AI Sharpen list both platforms - and I can choose in both cases.

You seem to be using the first in your horizontal single field "list". This is not the way to do it.

I actually need Intel - because of openVINO - for Topaz and I probably need GetForce for Affinity. My suspicion is that the Intel driver is causing Affinity to crash. That is why I must be able to choose. I cannot simply disable the Intel driver, quite apart from the fact that I need the Intel platform to get a desktop using a lower resolution to get larger, more readable fonts under icons, in menus etc.

RE: resolution. You can change the Display Scale in Windows, so you can have high resolution and larger fonts etc. 

RE: Multi-GPU, what issue is it causing? 

@simono, just heard back from Intel. They've identified the cause of the OpenCL crash. They've suggested it looks like you have a corrupt driver installation, and you have a mix of versions still available on your system.

Your latest drivers were x.x.x.9168 but some of the components were from x.x.x.4973 (really really old!).

They've suggested trying DDU - https://www.wagnardsoft.com/ to ensure that the system is completely wiped clean of GPU drivers, and then trying again.

I realise you've got a new laptop now, but I'd be interested to know whether using DDU and reinstalling the latest does actually fix the problem (if you have time to test it out).

Thanks!

Hi Mark

DDU does resolve the issue.

The only problem is that the average user will be scared to death by just looking at the 1980-type user interface with all its options, settings, warnings and disclaimers. If this hadn't been on my "old" system I probably wouldn't have plucked up the courage to start it myself.

Having run it - it takes quite a long time - Affinity Photo started normally and even allowed using acceleration.

After that, the Intel driver update utility told me to update my graphics driver to Feb 21, which I did. This also took a supiciously long time and had to be run in two stages. It seems that DDU is not quite up-to-date.

At the end of the day - all was well. The latest driver was in place and Affinity Photo was running perfectly.

There is just one funny thing. The DDU people present themselves as partners to Driver Easy and highly recommend Driver Easy. That's just the utility that I had in place and that did not suceed in keeping my graphics driver cum supporting stuff in running order.

Just for your info, my "new" HP system is also up and running. The bluescreen of death problem when running Affinity went away after I performed a BIOS update. Also quite an adventure. 😊

Thanks for your help and info.

(Please take heed of what I wrote about allowing the user to choose the graphics platform.)

13 minutes ago, simono said:

Hi Mark

DDU does resolve the issue.

The only problem is that the average user will be scared to death by just looking at the 1980-type user interface with all its options, settings, warnings and disclaimers. If this hadn't been on my "old" system I probably wouldn't have plucked up the courage to start it myself.

Having run it - it takes quite a long time - Affinity Photo started normally and even allowed using acceleration.

After that, the Intel driver update utility told me to update my graphics driver to Feb 21, which I did. This also took a supiciously long time and had to be run in two stages. It seems that DDU is not quite up-to-date.

At the end of the day - all was well. The latest driver was in place and Affinity Photo was running perfectly.

There is just one funny thing. The DDU people present themselves as partners to Driver Easy and highly recommend Driver Easy. That's just the utility that I had in place and that did not suceed in keeping my graphics driver cum supporting stuff in running order.

Just for your info, my "new" HP system is also up and running. The bluescreen of death problem when running Affinity went away after I performed a BIOS update. Also quite an adventure. 😊

Thanks for your help and info.

(Please take heed of what I wrote about allowing the user to choose the graphics platform.)

Thanks very much for trying this out @simono, I really appreciate your help here. I use DDU a lot, when changing graphics cards from different manufacturers when I'm testing things, so I do rely on it, but I also know it can be quite scary for the "average" user to try and use, so I don't tend to recommend it publicly. It seems like an old driver installer / uninstaller / upgrader may not have been doing a good enough job of tidying up old files.

I'm glad the new system is up and running well too!

We've talked internally about allowing the option to pick and choose GPUs for hardware acceleration. I've got nothing more to share at the minute though. 

In the meantime we have figuered out where this strange mix of old lamps and new lampes has come from. This laptop was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. The promise given was new lamps for old. At the time, however, quite a lot of new lamps were simply not available and the new Windows did its best to accommodate old drivers. In the aftermath neither Microsoft, Intel nor Driver Easy managed to really rectify the situation.

If we would have formatted the disk and installed Windows from scratch last week, the problem would have vanished. But if a user is on a single machine and is the proud owner of three dozen or more applications requiring three dozen or more activation codes this is not a feasible path.

I expect that most of your trial customers using a machine that had been upgraded to Windows 10 will have had similiar problems and - rather unfortunately - decided not to buy a non-functioning product. But at least Affinity starts up now with your mod in place.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

@Manks

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

This is a 19 page thread which was mainly caused by something in 1.9.0 that has now been resolved in 1.9.1 and 1.9.2. Your problem is possibly something that you can be helped with and get 1.9.2 working for you, so please start your own thread and we will try to assist you more personally than can be achieved in this thread.

As I can see that you purchased from the Affinity Store, then i f you really need to go back to 1.8.5 there are instructions at the bottom of the announcement posts for Photo, Publisher and Designer (see the bit that says "...can be downloaded from this link")

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon