You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apps won't launch on Win10 after Upgrade to 1.9

I suppose if you use two absolutely non-default error codes - e.g. 91 good and 92 bad - there should not be a problem. No matter how it croaks or does not croak -

92: successfully found to be bad,

91: successfully found to be good, 

0, -1 or anything else: test did not succeed. We assume "bad".

Just using a simple True or False could miss out. Internally we seem to have three states.

2 hours ago, simono said:

I suppose if you use two absolutely non-default error codes - e.g. 91 good and 92 bad - there should not be a problem. No matter how it croaks or does not croak -

92: successfully found to be bad,

91: successfully found to be good, 

0, -1 or anything else: test did not succeed. We assume "bad".

Just using a simple True or False could miss out. Internally we seem to have three states.

cltest should return zero for success. Anything else is bad. We do check it in the main app (I wrote the check), so for whatever reason, the result is coming back from .NET as "success". This may be an issue with .NET itself, which rather complicates things...

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

cltest should return zero for success. Anything else is bad. We do check it in the main app (I wrote the check), so for whatever reason, the result is coming back from .NET as "success". This may be an issue with .NET itself, which rather complicates things...

What's the used APh default value in case the cltest subprocess run doesn't return any useful value here, aka crashes without possibly propagating a return value? - It somehow sounds according to simono's behavior description that there is still an undetermined state possible (between cltest and APh execution) if APh afterwards crashes here then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I suppose you set your

int iReturnValue = -1 

prior to calling

iReturnValue = clTest() 

and put the call in a try - catch framework, just in case the call itself did not work - wrong path, installer misplaced it, wrong user, no execution permision, disk just gone down the drain, boris johnson didn't like it, etc., etc., ...

But I have a feeling it is probably something a little more complicated.

I wonder what Intel says to the dump and the fact that openCL has not worked on this quite common Lenovo Ideapad 110 (i5) for the last two years.

Or ................

.......... you have a corona-fired module-compile-"Hermione wasn't in today"-build-balls-up. ;-) Your code is simply not in there.

On the other hand, here is some interesting reading.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43241488/opencl-clgetplatformids-causes-access-violation-only-when-ran-from-visual-studio4

(A son of mine is actually programming on .NET. These strange things happen when c# is calling routines in DLLs depending on DLLs depending on DLLs that don't happen to be there.

I'll be trying the dependancy walker on my stuff here to see if any DLL is actually missing. I would like my openCL to work.)

I have installed V 1.8.5 again. The updates 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 gives too many errors. After a few modifications in the photo , the whole prgramm crashed. I have W10 home Intel gpu i7 / 10e gen with integrated graphic cart. 16Gb ram. So i skip the notification "New version Available" 

The problem is that on their new Affinity version Serif is now going through openCL to talk to the graphics chip, which is actually quite a good idea. However! Certain combinations of Intel + openCL will not always work as they should.

If you had 1.9.1 up and running, you could have gone into

Edit -> Preferences... -> Performance

and switched off

[  ] Enable OpenCL compute acceleration

Then you might have had a few crashes less. Definitely still worth a try if you haven't already tried it.

If Affinity - without OpenCL (Intel) acceleration enabled - still goes on crashing, at least you then know whose nose you have to punch! ;-)

19 minutes ago, Walter Raczynski said:

The problem for my installation (I am running an nVidia Quadro) is that I do not even get the chance to switch off Open CL, as immediately after the splash screen - Photo and/or Designer immediately goes belly-up.

Try:

or:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, Walter Raczynski said:

Thanks for the suggestions, but they seem to require that I launch the application to get to Edit/Preferences...

The first method requires that but the second one doesn’t, as far as I can see.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, Walter Raczynski said:

Thanks for the suggestions, but they seem to require that I launch the application to get to Edit/Preferences...

Neither requires opening the application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Walter Raczynski said:

I cannot open the apps (Photo or Designer).

None of the methods walt.farrell pointed to do need the apps to be running. Both operate completely from outside by altering/editing an Affinity app settings file accordingly ...

C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml
C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml

... there the following entry will be set inside then ...

<UseHardwareAcceleration>False</UseHardwareAcceleration>

... which disables the OpenCL hardware acceleration usage.

The help tool I made for this purpose (Affinity OpenCL Disabler) follows the advice from the above by Walt quoted FAQ entry, but does the whole automatically then with just one clicking. Further it shows/indicates the states it found out, beside showing console output, also visually on click buttons as icon images. - However note, that the tool only takes released (Affinity Test & Store, MS Store) versions into account, so it doesn't touch Beta versions at all and thus leaves the entries as before for Betas!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Neither requires opening the application.

When I wrote

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

The first method requires that but the second one doesn’t, as far as I can see.

I hadn’t followed the links, so it looked to me as though Leigh was saying one has to go to ‘Edit > Preferences > Performance’ and untick ‘Enable OpenCL compute acceleration’. As noted subsequently, a simple text edit will achieve the same change to the settings.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@simono, Intel have advised me that new drivers are available. Would you be able to give these a go, and see whether you are still experiencing a crash at startup?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30266/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

I have also discovered why the latest 1.9.1 still crashes, even though we run the cltest process first. The upcoming 1.9.2 beta will be fixed (better).

The new driver - Feb 2021 instead  of Jan 2021 - displays exactly the same problem. Cltest croaks on the platform count and Affinity Photo deos not get past the squid.

In the meantime I have migrated to a new laptop. 800 Euros. Interestingly enough Affinity sees the two graphics platforms -  separated by a comma. However, the user has no choice option to select a specific card..

Peculiar.

Of course, everything works - approx. twice as fast as before. Affinity, Filmora and even Topaz Sharpen.

1 hour ago, simono said:

The new driver - Feb 2021 ...

Shouldn't that be Version: 27.20.100.9316 (now Latest),  Date: 3/3/2021 ?

• Staff
56 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Shouldn't that be Version: 27.20.100.9316 (now Latest),  Date: 3/3/2021 ?

they will have built it and then tested it, so may well have been built in February to be fair.

4 minutes ago, simono said:

That's the version that Intel installed. "Latest version".  18.02.21  27.20.100.9316

Thanks for confirming

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

they will have built it and then tested it, so may well have been built in February to be fair.

Probably! - However, Intel always finds a way to encrypt things with their numbering schemes and thus create some confusion. 😉

Here's a new piece of information, for what it's worth. 🙂

Dependancy Walker crashes on cltest.exe.

On photo.exe it complains that modules are there, which are neither 32bit nor 64bit and then also crashes. Has to be hard terminated.

Running on several DLLs, picked at random, DW produces as expected a load of information.

Hmmm.

This is funny because DW - IMHO - does not start anything at all. It's just checking entries made by the compiler about external references for the linker/builder.

57 minutes ago, simono said:

Here's a new piece of information, for what it's worth. 🙂

Dependancy Walker crashes on cltest.exe.

On photo.exe it complains that modules are there, which are neither 32bit nor 64bit and then also crashes. Has to be hard terminated.

Running on several DLLs, picked at random, DW produces as expected a load of information.

Hmmm.

This is funny because DW - IMHO - does not start anything at all. It's just checking entries made by the compiler about external references for the linker/builder.

I believe that's pretty old, probably outdated and not Win 10 conform, thus try instead Dependencies, some of the Nirsoft tools, or even better some of the Sysinternals process utilities.

1 hour ago, simono said:

You're right. But I cannot get the new version to run. Visual Basic Express keeps coming up and displaying a config file when I click on dependenciesGui.exe in the unzipped directory.

VB Express? - That's written in C# not VB, so you must have VBE on your system. Can it be you clicked on the wrong "DependenciesGui.exe.config" file instead of "DependenciesGui.exe"?

Otherwise try it's CLI (command line interface) version (Dependencies.exe -- don't use mistakenly the Dependencies.exe.config ) via PowerShell or a CommandShell.

@Mark Ingram Mark does it also handle now the possible Capture One side effects automatically, or detects it and pops up some information panel related to that problem?