You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apps won't launch on Win10 after Upgrade to 1.9

@simono, I've confirmed that your Intel driver is version 23.20.16.4973 from your crash dump. @ZY Chang, could you check to see whether your Intel driver is the same version? 

There are reports of exactly the same crash with this driver version, in the exact same place here - https://community.intel.com/t5/OpenCL/clGetPlatformIDs-crashes-if-integrated-graphic-card-disabled/td-p/1127178

@Groovecrafter, unfortunately your crash doesn't look like the same. To confirm, if you download the latest beta, and run it twice (if it's the same problem as this thread, then it will crash the first time, then succeed the second time).

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

@Groovecrafter, unfortunately your crash doesn't look like the same. To confirm, if you download the latest beta, and run it twice (if it's the same problem as this thread, then it will crash the first time, then succeed the second time).

Sadly you were right. It did not run for the second time. Here are the crash reports. 

ef7a1c73-be43-4119-a7ad-567e84941bf7.dmpdf1e62db-7109-48fa-bdca-787677bea783.dmp

22 hours ago, simono said:

However, he should put in his quick&dirty a little more sophistically. At the moment he seems to be using cl.dat as a sort of flag. If my horrible suspicion is correct, once cl.dat has recorded a bad trial start, the main application - e.g. Photo - will never try to switch on acceleration ever again.

You are correct 🙂

I've written a little test app that attempts to enumerate OpenCL platforms and devices, and identify faulty drivers. Can you and @ZY Chang, run the following app and copy the results here please? 

cltest.zip

26 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

You are correct 🙂

I've written a little test app that attempts to enumerate OpenCL platforms and devices, and identify faulty drivers. Can you and @ZY Chang, run the following app and copy the results here please? 

cltest.zip 10.81 kB · 3 downloads

I just ran it, it seems nothing has happened except a term/win popped up for a couple of seconds and disappeared. 

6 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Press Windows Key + R, then type "cmd" and enter. Then paste in the address of where that app was extracted to, then hit enter. 

Firstly, nothing happens unless CMD is run with Administrator privileges

Secondly, I needed to pipe the output of cltest.exe to a txt file to see anything at all

File attached, is this what is expected?

PS I'm Windows 8.1 so I know hardware acceleration will not work on my PC

results.txt

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

You are correct 🙂

cltest.zip 10.81 kB · 5 downloads

When I ran it nothing happened except a cmd window appeared and then disappeared.  When I piped result to a file. Here is what's inside:

OpenCL tests failed to complete! This indicates a problem with one or more OpenCL drivers on your system.

I downloaded cltest.exe, moved it to ...system32 - apparently the default starting directory for running cmd shell as admin - and ran it as admin piping the output to aaa.txt. The file aaa.txt was created but it was empty.

Does cltest.exe have to be in a specific directory?

32 minutes ago, simono said:

I repeated the test in the download directory. The same.

You ought to at least put in some positive messages:

cltest started

cltest finished.

You may need to pipe results if any to a file like:  cltest.exe  > cltest_result.txt.  In my piped result, it says: OpenCL tests failed to complete! This indicates a problem with one or more OpenCL drivers on your system.

1 hour ago, ZY Chang said:

You may need to pipe results if any to a file like:  cltest.exe  > cltest_result.txt.  In my piped result, it says: OpenCL tests failed to complete! This indicates a problem with one or more OpenCL drivers on your system.

I’m not sure why you can’t see output in the command prompt itself. Works ok here...

But yes, the error message is correct, your driver is faulty. 

I ran the cltest directly within the Win + R window. I ran it again under the shell. Here are the output:

Checking for OpenCL binaries: Found
Querying OpenCL platform count: OpenCL tests failed to complete! This indicates a problem with one or more OpenCL drivers on your system.

There are a lot of OpneCL.dll files at various places.  Which ones does the test code check?  Any idea as which OpenCL driver is faulty?

On Win systems the detection of OpenCL support seems to make generally some trouble for many projects, just one other example here ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

There is also a DriverView tool from NirSoft, which can be handy here, since it lists all related informations for the drivers, can find and generate reports etc.

Other OpenCL related resources and informations, also as tools to showup CPU/GPU support for that can be found here:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

10 hours ago, ZY Chang said:

Sorry, ladies, but simono did - in his infinite wisdom and dressed up in his magic admin cloak - manage to pipe the results of cltest.exe into a highly mnemonically named file "aaa.txt". 😎

The file was created and empty. Nothing in there. Nada. Nowt.

6 minutes ago, simono said:

Sorry, ladies, but simono did - in his infinite wisdom and dressed up in his magic admin cloak - manage to pipe the results of cltest.exe into a highly mnemonically named file "aaa.txt". 😎

Did you run CMD as Administrator?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

37 minutes ago, simono said:

Very strange, but I just downloaded the app onto my laptop (wrote it on my desktop originally), and I get the same behaviour... nothing output. Will investigate...

39 minutes ago, simono said:

Try this, use the "fork" parameter:

cltest.exe fork

I get:

C:\Users\mingr\Code>cltest fork
Querying OpenCL platform count: 2
Attempting to initialise each platform: Success
Enumerating each platform:
        Name: NVIDIA CUDA
        Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
        Version: OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 11.1.102

Name: Intel(R) OpenCL HD Graphics
        Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation
        Version: OpenCL 2.1

Success
Enumerating OpenCL devices for platform : NVIDIA CUDA
Querying device count: 1
Attempting to initialise each device: Success
Enumerating each device:
        Name: GeForce GTX 1650
        Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
        Version: OpenCL 1.2 CUDA

Success
Enumerating OpenCL devices for platform : Intel(R) OpenCL HD Graphics
Querying device count: 1
Attempting to initialise each device: Success
Enumerating each device:
        Name: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
        Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation
        Version: OpenCL 2.1 NEO

Success

32 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Did you run CMD as Administrator?

Click on the input field bottom left

Key in "cmd"

White Window comes up.

Chose "Als Administrator ausführen".

Messagebox comes up - Do you want to ruin your system?

Click "yes" button.

Black Window comes up

cltest > aaa.txt

Purchase the latest version of Microsoft Office

Admire the contents of aaa.txt

Just now, simono said:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cltest

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cltest.exe fork
Querying OpenCL platform count:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Yep, again, this confirms that you driver crashes as soon as you call clGetPlatformIDs (this is the same problem as @ZY Chang). OpenCL.dll is just a wrapper around the "real" drivers, so it's not OpenCL.dll that's at fault. I imagine it's the Intel driver you have. Is there no later driver you can install?