You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apps won't launch on Win10 after Upgrade to 1.9

1 hour ago, simono said:

That's the DLL in System32.

There are 11 other ones in various directories. Unfortunately the silly Windows "find all openCL.DLL" displays the pathnames, but all truncated and you cannot widen the display column.

OpenCL.dll 487.39 kB · 0 downloads

That's interesting. You apparently have the same version as me, but look at the file sizes, completely different! My version is on the right, yours is on the left.

image.png

Very, very peculiar. My DLL came (presumably) from Intel as I upgraded to the very latest graphic driver for my chip set. In the mean time I was asked to deinstall my graphics controller, which I did. On start-up Windows re-installed it - from heaven knows where.

My openCL.dll files have different sizes - depending on how old they are. The old ones are only half the size. The latest all show a size of 487k. None are above this size.

I mean, after all, these are binaries, they cannot be dependant on utf-8/utf-16 or anything like that.

1 hour ago, simono said:

The is only one explanation.

The dutch version has a windmill inside 😂

or

my version is corrupted and half of the file is simply not there.

I took your copy of OpenCL.dll and put it into C:\Windows\System32, and I still don't get a crash... it must be in combination with your hardware. For now, I think the crash detection is the best we can offer...

If I remember correcly, DLLs have a checksum. Therefore any corruption cannot go unnoticed.

I have run an SFC scan - whatever that may be - and it produced a CBS.log - whatever that may be. 😎 Ergo, Windows is convinced that all relevant openCL.DLLs are OK and registered correctly because they do not get mentioned in the log. Seeing the file is only 4.3mb - millibit - I have attached it.

On the other hand, Intel refuses to update anything at all because everything is up-to-date.

CBS.log

I tried the new beta version (did everything instructed within this thread) and it still does not work. It only showed the splash window for a couple of seconds.  So far all my three Affinity packages (the new 1.90 version) are not w

38 minutes ago, simono said:

If I remember correcly, DLLs have a checksum. Therefore any corruption cannot go unnoticed.

I have run an SFC scan - whatever that may be - and it produced a CBS.log - whatever that may be. 😎 Ergo, Windows is convinced that all relevant openCL.DLLs are OK and registered correctly because they do not get mentioned in the log. Seeing the file is only 4.3mb - millibit - I have attached it.

On the other hand, Intel refuses to update anything at all because everything is up-to-date.

CBS.log 4.3 MB · 0 downloads

Did you try the latest beta version (1.9.1.952).  This time it runs in the second try (it crashed in the first run)

20 minutes ago, ZY Chang said:

I tried the new beta version (did everything instructed within this thread) and it still does not work. It only showed the splash window for a couple of seconds.  So far all my three Affinity packages (the new 1.90 version) are not w

Did you try the latest beta version (1.9.1.952).  This time it runs in the second try (it crashed in the first run)

Can you attach the %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\cl.dat file to this thread? If that file exists, it indicates you have the same problem as @simono.

Hi Chang

It would seem that the following line must be in the PerformanceSettings.xml in the beta version Settings directory a few levels under AppData

<UseHardwareAcceleration>True</UseHardwareAcceleration>

Then you have to start - e.g. Photo - a couple of times using either the Icon on the Desktop that says BETA in the middle - or go into the beta program directory -  a few levels under programs - and start photo.exe.

What the beta does is detect the crashing. At the end of the day hardware accelation is disabled. All the appropriate performance settings visible in the GUI are grayed out.

Please note that I'm still on yesterday's:

affinity-photo-customer-beta-1.9.1.944.exe

The GUI does actually start up and - at least "Photo" 1.9 - does work.

15 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Can you attach the %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\cl.dat file to this thread? If that file exists, it indicates you have the same problem as @simono.

I ran the latest Publisher Beta and it works. The cl.dat file does exist under %APPDATA%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\.  It looks like below:

[DXCore] Beginning compatibility check
[DXCore] Initialised
[DXCore] Retrieving adapter list
[DXCore] Adapter list successfully retrieved
[OpenCL] Retrieving platform IDs

Just now, ZY Chang said:

I ran the latest Publisher Beta and it works. The cl.dat file does exist under %APPDATA%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\.  It looks like below:

[DXCore] Beginning compatibility check
[DXCore] Initialised
[DXCore] Retrieving adapter list
[DXCore] Adapter list successfully retrieved
[OpenCL] Retrieving platform IDs

OK, yes, looks like you have exactly the same problem as @simono. It is crashing inside clGetPlatformIDs the first time we call it.

What is perhaps worth mentioning, I have found out that you can install each program in two versions parallel - i.e. the all sing all dance beta 1.9 along with the good old faithful 1.8.5. If you are using the Affinity stuff professionally that might be worth thinking about.

Just in case! 

1 hour ago, simono said:

Hi Chang

It would seem that the following line must be in the PerformanceSettings.xml in the beta version Settings directory a few levels under AppData

<UseHardwareAcceleration>True</UseHardwareAcceleration>

Then you have to start - e.g. Photo - a couple of times using either the Icon on the Desktop that says BETA in the middle - or go into the beta program directory -  a few levels under programs - and start photo.exe.

What the beta does is detect the crashing. At the end of the day hardware accelation is disabled. All the appropriate performance settings visible in the GUI are grayed out.

Please note that I'm still on yesterday's:

affinity-photo-customer-beta-1.9.1.944.exe

The GUI does actually start up and - at least "Photo" 1.9 - does work.

Thanks Simono.

For the latest beta version I did not do anything (including modification of  the UseHardwareAcceleration entry). It crashed the first time, but started successfully in the second time.  Did you mean that your released version (1.9) is working now?  It did not work for me when I added <UseHardwareAcceleration>True</UseHardwareAcceleration>.

I have not tested 1.9 oficial again yet. I presume it will not work for me until Mark puts in his crash detection circumvent.

However, he should put in his quick&dirty a little more sophistically. At the moment he seems to be using cl.dat as a sort of flag. If my horrible suspicion is correct, once cl.dat has recorded a bad trial start, the main application - e.g. Photo - will never try to switch on acceleration ever again.

But I guess he knows this himself.

Anyway, he has got it to work for us and that is good.

I think he should be granted a slight salary raise.  😊

Hi Guys! 

I have the same problem, and I'm afraid I'm not the only one. I use all 3 products and I think this is the first time they make me really frustrated. Even reading through this long thread was tiresome. I've just reinstalled Windows on my PC, running on Dell XPS 15 9550

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.60 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor 

I updated everything I could except the Intel driver as it's not supported and I should make it manually (like @simono wrote). I'm not an IT guru and I really don't want to do mining in bits and bytes. I really, really hope there will be some bug fix for this problem because I'm terribly curious about the new features. In the meantime I don't want to make a brick from my machine.

I also upload my crash report and the preferences xml and hope for the resolution. I only made this for Photo, but I think it's the same for Publisher and Designer. 

Thanks in advance for the help and relief! 

a3b4ffc0-0725-43ed-a68f-edb5eead9d6e.dmp PerformancePreferences.xml