You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apps won't launch on Win10 after Upgrade to 1.9

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Your log file appears to be missing valuable information regarding both OpenCL and Colour profiles, as can be seen from the log file found on my PC - Log.txt

Can you please try running version 1.9 for me again to generate a new log and then attach the full file here for me?

Many thanks!

I believe simono's log file does not missing anything. It's just the AF1.90 generated that much of info on the machine that does not work as also is the case on my machine.

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

@simono & @ZY Chang I'm very sorry to hear that none of the above steps have helped here.

I've been asked by our developers to request a copy of your Log.txt file, which can be found in the below location -

%appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\

You may need to change out 'Photo' for 'Designer' or 'Publisher' depending on the Affinity app you're using. Please note if you have since installed 1.8.5 then the Log will be for this version and you'll need to reinstall 1.9 again to generate this new Log, so I will understand if you do not wish to do this currently, as you have 1.8.5 working.

Many thanks once again!

Hi Dan, 

My Publisher's log.txt was posted here earlier. It does not contain much info (only up to LUID: 0xE63D, no other info like colour profile etc  was generated). 

Ok in the meantime I found/saw your references ...

Lenovo Ideapad 110 laptop

My machine is using an Intel i5 processor with an integrated GPU.

Gerätename    LAPTOP-QLS05N4J
Prozessor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz   2.71 GHz
Installierter RAM    8,00 GB

I think in your case the whole is caused when the Affinity app tries on startup to load and setup/determine the performance settings, there it has trouble determining the possible hardware.

"StackTraceString":"   bei Raster.Hardware<Raster::DefaultImplementation>.GetHardwarePossible()
               bei Serif.Interop.Persona.Settings.PerformanceSettings..ctor()",

"RemoteStackTraceString":null,
            "RemoteStackIndex":0,
            "ExceptionMethod":"8
            Raster.Hardware<Raster::DefaultImplementation>.GetHardwarePossible

"StackTraceString":"   
         bei System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
         bei System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
         bei System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
         bei System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)

bei Serif.Affinity.Settings.SettingsService.Load(Type settingsType)
         bei Serif.Affinity.Settings.SettingsService.Load(Boolean showError)
         bei Serif.Affinity.Application.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)

bei System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(Object unused)
         bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
         bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

bei System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

Since I'm on a Mac I can't look at the Win dmp-files here, which should then give quite a deeper overview.

Though I believe Mark might take a closer look at those from the crash reports then too, in order to isolate the overall problem.

However, some of app startup problems certain people have, seem have to do with the hardware GPU acceleration settings and by determining those through the app and Win services!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

22 minutes ago, ZY Chang said:

Not sure how to do that.  Could you please post more detailed instruction?

simply hold CTRL while clicking on the software so when it launch it will pop up a panel. Click clear and try again.
For me the app crash before this is possible (1-2 seconds into splash screen) so it won't work. But hopefully it does work for you.

Windows 10, Affinity Designer + Photo (Graphic Design, photo-editing).

4 minutes ago, MikeDuf said:

simply hold CTRL while clicking on the software so when it launch it will pop up a panel. Click clear and try again.
For me the app crash before this is possible (1-2 seconds into splash screen) so it won't work. But hopefully it does work for you.

Thanks. I think my situation is same as yours.  So the CTRL method does not work on it. Thanks anyway!

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Ok in the meantime I found/saw your references ...

I think in your case the whole is caused when the Affinity app tries on startup to load and setup/determine the performance settings, there it has trouble determining the possible hardware.

Since I'm on a Mac I can't look at the Win dmp-files here, which should then give quite a deeper overview.

Though I believe Mark might take a closer look at those from the crash reports then too, in order to isolate the overall problem.

However, some of app startup problems certain people have, seem have to do with the hardware GPU acceleration settings and by determining those through the app and Win services!

Yes at startup we determine whether GPU acceleration is possible. The crash looks like we enumerate devices successfully with DXCore (as those entries are in the log file), but then when we try to get the devices from OpenCL, it crashes. This could indicate a driver problem.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Yes at startup we determine whether GPU acceleration is possible. The crash looks like we enumerate devices successfully with DXCore (as those entries are in the log file), but then when we try to get the devices from OpenCL, it crashes. This could indicate a driver problem.

According to the exception traceback the GetHardwarePossible() method should probably give a boolean return value back ...

Boolean Raster.Hardware<Raster::DefaultImplementation>.GetHardwarePossible()",

... but that seems to have/get instead a NULL object there then, so something around there ...

Serif.Interop.Persona.Settings.PerformanceSettings..

... wents wrong. - Maybe you can isolate the concrete cause in some debugging session and with some additional Unit tests which do play through several possibilities here (with and without and multiple installed OpenCL drivers) etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

According to the exception traceback the GetHardwarePossible() method should probably give a boolean return value back ...

Boolean Raster.Hardware<Raster::DefaultImplementation>.GetHardwarePossible()",

... but that seems to have/get instead a NULL object there then, so something around there ...

Serif.Interop.Persona.Settings.PerformanceSettings..

... wents wrong. - Maybe you can isolate the concrete cause in some debugging session and with some additional Unit tests which do play through several possibilities here (with and without and multiple installed OpenCL drivers) etc.

Unfortunately you're looking at the managed interpretation of the crash. It can't see the actual crash inside the unmanaged code (i.e. inside GetHardwarePossible). .NET tries to map unmanaged crashes into .NET exceptions, which is what you're seeing here, but unfortunately, not with the full callstack.

9 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Unfortunately you're looking at the managed interpretation of the crash. It can't see the actual crash inside the unmanaged code (i.e. inside GetHardwarePossible). .NET tries to map unmanaged crashes into .NET exceptions, which is what you're seeing here, but unfortunately, not with the full callstack.

Yes, here from MacOS I can just open and look/inspect the JSON text files from the above "CrashReports.zip" archive. Do the Win "Backtrace/*.dmp" files in that archive contain the full callstack?

According to Olivio Sarakis and Affinity Revolution the new features implemented in 1.9 are quite worth having. It would be a great pity if this version cannot be made to work on my config.

What I am not quite clear about is what version of .NET is running on my system. An offline installable version 4.8 downloaded from the Microsoft Website refused to install telling me that my version is either the same or newer.

13 minutes ago, simono said:

What I am not quite clear about is what version of .NET is running on my system. An offline installable version 4.8 downloaded from the Microsoft Website refused to install telling me that my version is either the same or newer.

See for example ...

9 minutes ago, simono said:

According to Olivio Sarakis and Affinity Revolution the new features implemented in 1.9 are quite worth having. It would be a great pity if this version cannot be made to work on my config.

You've got an Intel HD Graphics 620 which is fairly standard, and used by lots of customers, so I imagine the fix may be to uninstall and reinstall your graphics drivers. I know you said that you updated your driver, but often we find problems like this aren't resolved by a simple update - they need to be removed and reinstalled.

I will also look at the code and see if there is anything that can be done to work around this problem.

The problem occurs in Photo and in Publisher.

Apart from that, in my Windows error reporting I found two interesting lines. They relate to Filmora 9 prior to my update to 10. Version 10 has simply grayed out my options for enabling HW acceleration.

Here are the two report lines:

==============================

17.10.2020 12:39    Application Error    Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: gpuTest.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5ed38a09&#x000d;&#x000a;Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: igdrclneo64.dll, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5a96b19b&#x000d;&#x000a;Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005&#x000d;&#x000a;Fehleroffset: 0x000000000019ee5f&#x000d;&#x000a;ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x5728&#x000d;&#x000a;Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d6a482993136ee&#x000d;&#x000a;Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Wondershare\Filmora9\gpuTest.exe&#x000d;&#x000a;Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_1a33d2f73651d989\igdrclneo64.dll&#x000d;&#x000a;Berichtskennung: 258c5602-65b4-4992-b787-1835af3daa35&#x000d;&#x000a;Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: &#x000d;&#x000a;Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

17.10.2020 12:39    Application Error    Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: oclTest.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5ed38999&#x000d;&#x000a;Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: igdrclneo64.dll, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5a96b19b&#x000d;&#x000a;Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005&#x000d;&#x000a;Fehleroffset: 0x000000000019ee5f&#x000d;&#x000a;ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x1764&#x000d;&#x000a;Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d6a48295c799f9&#x000d;&#x000a;Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Wondershare\Filmora9\oclTest.exe&#x000d;&#x000a;Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_1a33d2f73651d989\igdrclneo64.dll&#x000d;&#x000a;Berichtskennung: b80433c6-da78-4575-a789-848060ba6e71&#x000d;&#x000a;Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: &#x000d;&#x000a;Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:
===========================================

It seems to me that there is some sort of problem relating to Intel and openCL. It looks as though Filmora 9 is running two little test utilities as some sort of check before launching. Both the utilities are in the Wondershare Filmora directory.

Using Filmora 10 no error reports are produced any more and the acceleration feature is simply disabled on my configuration.

So now we have three products croaking in the openGL/CL area - Topaz, Filmora and Affinity. And it all seems to relate to Intel machines somehow.

4 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

You've got an Intel HD Graphics 620 which is fairly standard, and used by lots of customers, so I imagine the fix may be to uninstall and reinstall your graphics drivers. I know you said that you updated your driver, but often we find problems like this aren't resolved by a simple update - they need to be removed and reinstalled.

I will also look at the code and see if there is anything that can be done to work around this problem.

I deleted my Graphics driver for Intel(R) HD Graphics 515, deleted 1.90 and reinstalled the latest Graphics driver and reinstalled the AF 1.90. It still does not work.  

20 minutes ago, simono said:

There a guy called Nicolas reporting the same symptoms as I have in french on a different thread.

Can't the threads be merged somehow?

Why not post a link in the other thread, directing interested parties to the discussion here?

Edit: Now that I’ve visited the other thread I see that Nicolas has already linked to this one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)