You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apps won't launch on Win10 after Upgrade to 1.9

I have just put 1.9 back in. What do you want me to do?

By the way, I also have Filmora 10. This is also using an openCL.dll and in their performance preferences one can select HW acceleration. Seeing the DLL is there in their own main directory, I assume they use openCL to this purpose.

However, in the case of my system this option has been grayed out. They do not let me try to switch on HW acceleration. Maybe Wondershare knows something Serif does not.

Here is the log file content:

=============================

[DXCore] Found 2 adapters
Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
    Version: 27.20.100.9168
    IsHardware: Yes
    Supports D3D12 Feature Level 12.0: Yes
    HardwareID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5916&SUBSYS_39E80000&REV_02
    LUID: 0x12620
Microsoft Basic Render Driver
    Version: 10.0.19041.546
    IsHardware: No
    HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1414&DEV_008C&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00
    LUID: 0x1295E

By the way, I also have Filmora 10. This is also using an openCL.dll and in their performance preferences one can select HW acceleration. Seeing the DLL is there in their own main directory, I assume they use openCL to this purpose.

However, in the case of my system this option has been grayed out. They do not let me try to switch on HW acceleration. Maybe Wondershare knows something Serif does not.

• Staff

Thanks for your Log file Simono, I'm going to share this with the developers who requested it now.

I can confirm this is being posted to the correct thread, we're onto the 2nd page of the topic now, which is why it might not seem like the right place - but it is :)

13 minutes ago, simono said:

Thanks for the info, hardware acceleration in other programs will have different requirements than in Affinity, using OpenCL is not a 'one size fits all' solution for any application and simply because it is disabled in another app does not mean that it cannot work for you in Affinity.

As well as this, we've already found above that it doesn't seem to be Affinitys OpenCL that is causing this crashing for you, as we have disabled it before startup.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

53 minutes ago, simono said:

I have just put 1.9 back in. What do you want me to do?

They shouldn't be shipping an OpenCL.dll with their application, that's quite strange.

• Staff
36 minutes ago, simono said:

Here is the log file content:

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

Your log file appears to be missing valuable information regarding both OpenCL and Colour profiles, as can be seen from the log file found on my PC - Log.txt

Can you please try running version 1.9 for me again to generate a new log and then attach the full file here for me?

Many thanks!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

8 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Are you closing the application before uploading the file?

What do you mean by "closing the application"? There is nothing to close. The app has closed itself. Depending how much my laptop happens to be doing - Windows update, virus scan - usually nothing at all - the whole thing only lasts about a second. A quick flash of the splash screen and nothing else whatsoever.

<

AFAI can see, the exception thrown cause for simono is this one ...

"InnerException":{
            "ClassName":"System.AccessViolationException",
            "Message":"Es wurde versucht, im geschützten Speicher zu lesen oder zu schreiben. Dies ist häufig ein Hinweis darauf, dass anderer Speicher beschädigt ist.",
            "Data":null,
            "InnerException":null,
            "HelpURL":null,
            "StackTraceString":"   bei Raster.Hardware<Raster::DefaultImplementation>.GetHardwarePossible()
               bei Serif.Interop.Persona.Settings.PerformanceSettings..ctor()",

"RemoteStackTraceString":null,
            "RemoteStackIndex":0,
            "ExceptionMethod":"8
            Raster.Hardware<Raster::DefaultImplementation>.GetHardwarePossible

Serif.Interop.Persona, Version=1.9.0.932, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
            Boolean Raster.Hardware<Raster::DefaultImplementation>.GetHardwarePossible()",
            "HResult":-2147467261,
            "Source":"Serif.Interop.Persona",
            "WatsonBuckets":null
         },

... aka the Raster.Hardware<Raster::DefaultImplementation>.GetHardwarePossible() method. - So it looks like the possible hardware detection method cores in his case (gives NULL instead of some obj back)!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

16 minutes ago, simono said:

What do you mean by "closing the application"? There is nothing to close. The app has closed itself. Depending how much my laptop happens to be doing - Windows update, virus scan - usually nothing at all - the whole thing only lasts about a second. A quick flash of the splash screen and nothing else whatsoever.

<

Apologies, I was getting my bug reports mixed up, I hadn't realised you were experiencing a crash. 

3 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

AFAI can see, the exception thrown cause for simono is this one ...

... aka the Raster.Hardware<Raster::DefaultImplementation>.GetHardwarePossible() method. - So it looks like the possible hardware detection method cores in his case (gives NULL instead of some obj back)!

Thanks - I've seen other reports of this. Another one was a "divide by zero" exception. I have a feeling this is related to the OpenCL driver, as all we do is try to initialise the driver. I think it's suspicious that @simono reported Filmora 10 includes an OpenCL.dll file with it. I'm wondering if the wrong driver is being loaded somehow.

1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks - I've seen other reports of this. Another one was a "divide by zero" exception. I have a feeling this is related to the OpenCL driver, as all we do is try to initialise the driver. I think it's suspicious that @simono reported Filmora 10 includes an OpenCL.dll file with it. I'm wondering if the wrong driver is being loaded somehow.

Not only that. They are using an outdated version. I already tried putting their DLL into your main directory. But it did not help. Apparently they do not go through openCL at all on my system.

Topaz had a similiar problem. Their first attempt to disable openGL (in their case GL, not CL) failed. The dev guys had to build special non-openGL version. Otherwise they were simply too late. The first menu items in their GUI crashed left, right and center. The special my-version ran, but too slow to be of any real use.

34 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

...I'm wondering if the wrong driver is being loaded somehow.

Maybe, since the log always tells and lists twice ...

Was the wrong log reference here ...

Probably the above was a wrong users log, what user simono uploaded looks instead like this ...

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

3 hours ago, simono said:

I see what you mean.

On a second machine, an Intel Celeron, a test version of Affinity Photo 1.9 just came up fine.

On my i5 laptop it still does not although I have installed the latest graphics driver directly from Intel. There is mention that the openCL runtime comes as part of the Intel grapics drivers package so this must be up-to-date too.

Maybe the problem has nothing to do with openCL and I am just biased due to the Topaz openGL problems I experienced.

On the other hand, if I look at your two logs and have understood your commenting correctly, AP 1.9 runs on the computer that says: openCL not available. In other words - it cannot use openCL because an openCL runtime is not even there.

My earlier info/comment was trying to show that the openCL was not the reason because the log file indicated that openCL was not available on the machine that 1.90 is working.  I guess for our case, neither the graphics driver nor the openCL were the reasons. 

12 minutes ago, simono said:

There are 21 openCL DLLs scattered around my system, including two or three with "openCL" as a sub-part of the file name.

You have an Intel i5 based notebook with just an embedded Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 and no dedicated mobile GPU, is that correct?