You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wishlist: Remember last used in pop-ups

See illustration. Clicking the colour block in the tool bar brings up this pop-up (as well as via other places).

I use Swatches a lot - most of the time in fact. Because I'm working with branded designs 95% of the time with prescribed colours. Even when not, I tend to be disciplined about colour - creating palettes of colour to work with as I go along. This means swatches are my default modus operandi.

I really wish the pop-up would remember the last thing I accessed and therefore, go straight to Swatches.

Sure, if I then choose Gradient one time, the next time I go in, it'll go to gradient - totally fine with that.

But every single time - every single time - there's this extra click involved - and it gets really irritating, really quickly. It's especially irritating in Designer on the iPad for some reason I can't articulate right now.

I'd expect it to logically be a setting in preferences. Tick/untick: Remember last used.. or something similar.

I've had a search through all the preferences and not seen it. I've a weird feeling it's in other apps in the suite like Designer desktop? (not checked). Maybe I'm just remembering from other non-serif apps. So, yes, consistency again please, all apps, all platforms (ipad, desktop).

If you're really clever, there'll be other places this could apply to as well... super consistent nirvana.

Yours ever hopeful

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 14.21.31.png

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

A general observation. The Affinity Suite seems to foreground random adhoc colour creation. This is not how designers work in my experience. Illustrators.. yeah..  infographic illustrators.. no

It means a workflow involving disciplined colour management ends up fighting the apps.

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Another wishlist item for those interested:

34 minutes ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

I had recently posted a suggestion on that specific color tab issue.

Harrr.., I haven't come across your post @Jeremy Bohn.. um, don't know why I didn't find it. I thought someone might have, as I know for certain other designers work with colour in a disciplined way.

Hopefully by repeating the request, Serif will pick it up.

The weird thing is.. Swatches defaults to 'Greys", but when I choose 'Colour".. it then remembers that! All random.

15 minutes ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

I posted it regarding the Tabs studio because that's where I really started to notice the problem.

Good to link the two threads, thanks for that.

There's numerous places, and across other apps too. Basically whereever there's a clickable colour block.

I'll be posting some screen captures of how this inconsistency manifests in Designer iPad (when I fathom how to illustrate it clearly).

I think Serif really need to step back and review all features where colour selection can be made in every app (desktop and ipad) and harmonize the lot.

There's actually a big job for them to do creating consistency generally IMHO. As I've got to know the apps, it's become painfully evident. All sorts of things are constnatly tripping me up, because they don't behave consistently. Lots of "gah" moments.

------------------------------

Here's Jeremy's link again, for those interested in following this topic, as an embedded thumb.