Jump to content

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Igguk said:

Installed and removed this piece of c**p after 20 minutes.

Nice. Well done with an appropriate style. What is your problem? Maybe your problem could be solved. Do you expect help from anyone with your attitude?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 8 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Nice. Well done with an appropriate style. What is your problem? Maybe your problem could be solved. Do you expect help from anyone with your attitude?

My problem could be solved by uninstalling and making a new installation of the previous version and hopefully could still have fun with 1.8.5

As for the 1.9, I ran out of patience due to its poor performance.  If it can still be called "performance" when you have enough time to prepare you coffee and drinking it just by the time you try to change the brush color or just navigating through studios panels.  Everything is so slow you can't do anything with this version.

Edited by Igguk
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Hey @Igguk,

Welcome to the forums. I have split you off from the main thread so we can try and help you on a more personal level.

I'm sorry you've felt the need to remove the 1.9 update. You can roll back to the older version here - https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/photo/1/

However I would prefer to assist you with the 1.9 update. I'm not sure why it's slower for you—it should be much faster, especially with the OpenCL addition.

Could you kindly provide some basic info about your machine such as the graphics card and processor as well as the RAM. Also, if you could find out the current driver for your graphics card, that would be super!

You also might want to try disabling OpenCL from Preferences > Performance. What options do you have in the Renderer dropdown box?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey @Igguk,

Welcome to the forums. I have split you off from the main thread so we can try and help you on a more personal level.

I'm sorry you've felt the need to remove the 1.9 update. You can roll back to the older version here - https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/photo/1/

However I would prefer to assist you with the 1.9 update. I'm not sure why it's slower for you—it should be much faster, especially with the OpenCL addition.

Could you kindly provide some basic info about your machine such as the graphics card and processor as well as the RAM. Also, if you could find out the current driver for your graphics card, that would be super!

You also might want to try disabling OpenCL from Preferences > Performance. What options do you have in the Renderer dropdown box?

Hi Chris

Sorry, my comment was not at the right place.  You were right to move it 😊

So let's try and it works!  OK sorry I missed this and thank you for being kinder than I was 😉

So, my graphic card is the problem : Intel HD Graphics 520.  Shame on me as I also use another software for my RAW files.  Their new version also uses some new graphic card acceleration which... slows down with mine.  Should have think before speaking...

Well, at least, if other users have the same issues do they know what to do.

Thanks again Chris.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

So it sounds like you've disabled OpenCL now? We should probably do a better job of detecting what hardware will and will not work and not enable it by default perhaps.

Yes disabling OpenCL solved the problem. As mebtiined, my graphic card does not support. 

Indeed, an improvement can be done in the hardware compatibilty detection. So simple to say... 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, 1.9.0.932 WIN is slow, or very demanding. Examples:

  • Batch job of 6 .heic (iPhone 😎 to .jpeg conversions took minutes. Usually it's just seconds.
  • Sometimes selections feel laggy.
  • Doing selections causes Photo to no longer respond.
  • I've never heard the fan of my ThinkCentre before. Today was the first time.

Addition: 

  • tried to open a 2nd file.
  • Doesn't open.
  • Tried to quit Photo
  • This dialog is shown. confirm dialog, closing Photo causes this dialog, confirm dialog, ...

photo1.JPG

 

Addition 2:

Just opening a 3142 px x 1908 px file with just one pixel and 2 simple adjustment layers causes the fan of the PC to speed up.

 

Addition 3: "You also might want to try disabling OpenCL from Preferences > Performance."

Did it. Seems to solve it. Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
50 minutes ago, Igguk said:

Yes disabling OpenCL solved the problem. As mebtiined, my graphic card does not support. 

Indeed, an improvement can be done in the hardware compatibilty detection. So simple to say... 🤣

Hi @Igguk your GPU (Intel HD Graphics 520) does meet the minimum requirements (Direct3D Feature Level 12.0). Are your graphics drivers up to date? Often out of date drivers can perform poorly. I'd be interested to know what the benchmark results from your machine are (please go to Help | Benchmark) and take a screenshot (or just say the Raster Multi-CPU and Single-GPU figures).

More info is available in the help - https://affin.co/WinGPU, but for ref, the earliest supported Intel card is the Intel HD Graphics 510 (Skylake).

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the Hardware acceleration enabled the loading of these files is very slow and getting through development (I didn't try to go any further) was also very slow.  I'm on Windows 10 x64 with a Radeon RX 5600 XT GPU (6 GB of video ram).  Unchecking the enable acceleration and restarting fixes the problem.  Something is very wrong wit the new hardware feature for Windows. I tried rebooting the computer but this made no difference.  CPU Ryzen 2600X with 32 GB RAM.

 

 

Affinity Photo HW accel enabled benchmark.JPG

Edited by Artisan9
Edit: added benchmark with HW accel enabled:
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi @Igguk your GPU (Intel HD Graphics 520) does meet the minimum requirements (Direct3D Feature Level 12.0). Are your graphics drivers up to date? Often out of date drivers can perform poorly. I'd be interested to know what the benchmark results from your machine are (please go to Help | Benchmark) and take a screenshot (or just say the Raster Multi-CPU and Single-GPU figures).

More info is available in the help - https://affin.co/WinGPU, but for ref, the earliest supported Intel card is the Intel HD Graphics 510 (Skylake).

image.png.305290532f120ac1eaf5340bc94fe422.png
Ok I think I got something.  I own a Lenovo computer.  Which install custom graphic card drivers...  And obviously they are not up to date.  But Intel setup does not allow me to replace it with a standard version.  So bad...

 

 

39 minutes ago, Artisan9 said:

With the Hardware acceleration enabled the loading of these files is very slow and getting through development (I didn't try to go any further) was also very slow.  I'm on Windows 10 x64 with a Radeon RX 5600 XT GPU (6 GB of video ram).  Unchecking the enable acceleration and restarting fixes the problem.  Something is very wrong wit the new hardware feature for Windows. I tried rebooting the computer but this made no difference.  CPU Ryzen 2600X with 32 GB RAM.

I have the same type of issue with Open CL with another software.  So I think the problem is not affinity but Windows support for OpenCL...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just updated Designer and Photo to 1.9, but the performance is so bad... I have the same problem, the performance of both updates is terrible, at least for me. Stuttering, lag when changing brush category and selecting brushes, it's unusable. (NUC8 i3 with Windows 20H2)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I try again and enable openCL. Next I check in task manager (Windows). With OpenCL on AF use processor but in 50% and still not use graphic card, in taks manager use 0% of graphic card procesor when I use focus merge. When openCL is disabled AF use 100% of procesor.

So i think this is a bug with software not with drivers or windows.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same problem, very slow performance. Then as recommended, Disabled Open CL. Then was ok.

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7    79 °C
    Summit Ridge 14nm Technology
RAM
    32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1499MHz (16-20-20-38)
Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-CF (AM4)    27 °C
Graphics
    BenQ PD3200U (3840x2160@60Hz)
    8176MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (Gigabyte)
Storage
    931GB Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB (SATA (SSD))    25 °C
    3726GB Western Digital WDC WD40EFRX-68N32N0 (SATA )    24 °C
    3726GB Western Digital WDC WD40EFRX-68N32N0 (SATA )    26 °C
    931GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Unknown (SSD))
Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95
Audio
    ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio Device

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
15 hours ago, Igguk said:

 

image.png.305290532f120ac1eaf5340bc94fe422.png
Ok I think I got something.  I own a Lenovo computer.  Which install custom graphic card drivers...  And obviously they are not up to date.  But Intel setup does not allow me to replace it with a standard version.  So bad...

 

 

I have the same type of issue with Open CL with another software.  So I think the problem is not affinity but Windows support for OpenCL...

Looking at your results here, it's not using your GPU at all (you will need to re-enable it in Preferences).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
13 hours ago, Petryk said:

I try again and enable openCL. Next I check in task manager (Windows). With OpenCL on AF use processor but in 50% and still not use graphic card, in taks manager use 0% of graphic card procesor when I use focus merge. When openCL is disabled AF use 100% of procesor.

So i think this is a bug with software not with drivers or windows.

Using 100% of your CPU is intentional. We are efficiently scaling to take advantages of all of your CPU cores. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Using 100% of your CPU is intentional. We are efficiently scaling to take advantages of all of your CPU cores. 

I understand, but with OpenCL AF enabled, it should use the GPU core and the CPU, and it only uses the CPU and 50% of it, so with openCL enabled performance drops,it should be the other way around. 

 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.