You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Click the unclickable (german UI localisation)

v_kyr

I wonder if nobody else with a german localised UI suffers from this here in all Affinity apps for years now?

stroke-panel-miter.jpg.dc79110a05b57fd1a181d93689915fdf.jpg

The bloody change edge style toggle button is covered by the german localized miter label ("Gehrung") in such a way here that you often can't click it at all. 

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

a german localised UI suffers from this

Such annoying UI glitches with German localizations in general – which usually need more characters than English – were the reason why I have switched all my Macs to full time English localization at least a decade ago. Unfortunately that didn't help with Adobe CS apps which were only available "mono-localized".

But otherwise, the beneficial side effect in all other apps was that in the meantime I've learned most of the graphic design and prepress terminology – that I've always been "fluent" in German since the art school in the 1980s – in English as well. :)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 hours ago, loukash said:

Such annoying UI glitches with German localizations in general – which usually need more characters than English – were the reason why I have switched all my Macs to full time English localization at least a decade ago.

Well localisation is a common thing these days, the OS and mostly every app is nowadays localized. For the Affinity apps this is something which hasn't been fixed for long time here, even often reported. Usually it can't be that difficult to change a UI panel's layout accordingly, or to abbreaviate a too long foreign localisation word/string here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Usually it can't be that difficult to change a UI panel's layout accordingly,

Back in the day – like until a decade or so ago –  it was even possible to open compiled (actually sort of uncompiled) *.nib files directly with Interface Builder and fix such UI quirks yourself. Done that quite a few times myself when I disliked a developer's GUI. But with Affinity, all seems to be hardcoded in those monolithic dynamic libraries that are likely cross-platform.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 minutes ago, loukash said:

Back in the day – like until a decade or so ago –  it was even possible to open compiled (actually sort of uncompiled) *.nib files directly with Interface Builder and fix such UI quirks yourself. Done that quite a few times myself when I disliked a developer's GUI. But with Affinity, all seems to be hardcoded in those monolithic dynamic libraries that are likely cross-platform.

Good old times! Jip that's what we often did on NextStep/OpenStep and IB in the past! - I've also miss a graphical lipo frontend we had those days, in order to strip unwanted architecture binaries and libraries out of NIHS fat binaries in order to save disk space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Staff

The issue "German UI - Stroke flyout - text overlapping icons" (REF: AFP-2551) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1857".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.