You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In-painting brush tool defaults

I always use "Current & below" option for this tool ... every time ... for dozens of photos. I had to close affinity each time I open up Lightroom due to hardware limitations so for some reason affinity resets every tool option to default. 

So I open affinity again, the in-painting tool defaults back to "Current layer" - as a retoucher this has been a source of headaches for my first year of using affinity. Imagine doing this for more than a dozen photos :(

Is there a way to save this state for this tool? I just tried the new studio presets and it seems to save to the selected tools... but not it's options , hopefully I'm missing something here(?) 

I asked about it on day one. Sadly, the team dismissed that request and told me that they do not care about professional users and only cater to amateurs and semi-pros, who clearly prefer "Current layer" as the default. Why there cannot be a permanent setting is beyond my comprehension. It seems like a trivial thing to implement and it would make this software immensly more useful.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:42 AM, spacecat said:

I find it hard to believe they'll say that but yeah for such a trivial feature they don't realise how much of a big deal it is for people doing bulk work where every click counts

We could try to dig it in the early forums ;) Of course they did not say it directly, however their reply was alluding to that and it was the point where I disengaged from the forums and returned the app. I repurchased it recently as I see it is becoming way more advanced that it used to be, but this tiny pet peeve is still not fixed.

Perhaps they would have to re-engeneer a huge swath of code and they deem it an unnecessary endevour. Too bad as they could bring more professional users who would promote it as a viable alternative to Photoshop...

On 2/4/2021 at 7:36 AM, spacecat said:

Is there a way to save this state for this tool? I just tried the new studio presets and it seems to save to the selected tools... but not it's options , hopefully I'm missing something here(?) 

It's been on the roadmap, but no way to know when, exactly, we will see it. It's unknown where in the priority stack this one is positioned. 

it is totally  frustrating that they see the need to implement a astro persona serving a tiny niche market already covered by specialized software or linked layers  but completely ignore the need of many user asking for this improvements since years now.  seems sticky settings are not cool enough for marketing purposes......  

5 hours ago, notauser said:

Too bad as they could bring more professional users who would promote it as a viable alternative to Photoshop...

this is maybe point. they are obvious not interested much in in this user groupe as long as they can sell it to the masses which very likely will never really use it anyway.  the development roadmap seems also more determinated by the developers personal interest and hobbies  than what would benefit a majority of user . not to forget that they made promises during the first beta to fix this annoying problems........

they added to the roadmap since 2019? omg ;__; 

Maybe they are struggling since it's not only in-painting? There are also default issues with paint brush defaults, font categories(serif/sans), brush set arrangements ... I'm surprised myself they went  to astrophotography. i'm pretty sure astrophotographers would want non-destructive cloning too. 

I hope these usability issues get added in before we reach 2.0 , it would be like a slap in the face to pay for these problems when the major ver arrives. 

I hope for a fix since they have  released the very first version 5 years ago !   so now 5 years have passed without much progress which makes clear where the priorities for serif are so  I don't think much will change with version 2.0 . 

" i really did try hard to make AP work for me, missing plugin support is not an issue i even can live without actions but non sticking settings drive me nuts.  working on more than one image is simply frustrating when you have to apply the same settings again and again.  this does not work in a professional situation.  the repetitive tasks are time consuming, annoying and prone to introduce mistakes.  it is sad but this for me is the main reason i have to stay with photoshop until a fix is available.!

...this is a posting I made 3.9.2015  

As someone who works with project development (and as a programmer in the past), I know that sometimes implementation of specific items can take months or even years. This is not unusual, especially as a product grows. 

I also understand that it would be more convenient for us if this adjustment were attachable to a keyboard shortcut. However, 1) the truth is that the tool isn't broken, and 2) there have been numerous other fixes and additions as the Affinity tools have become deeper and more adept.

Hopefully we'll see this particular improvement sooner than later. Not fulfilling this request isn't a deal breaker for the vast majority. Better to enjoy the entire forest rather than note only the knots on the trees. 🙂