You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for macOS - 1.9.0

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the MacOS release of Affinity Photo, version 1.9.0

Changes in this build

A highlights explanation can be found here: 5 things you should know about Affinity Photo 1.9

The detailed changes in Affinity Photo for MacOS 1.9.0 over the release build Affinity Photo for macOS 1.8.6 are as follows:

New Features:

• Live liquify layers (learn more)
  • Linked layers (learn more)
  • Pattern layers (learn more)
  • Stacking for astrophotography (see tutorials here)
  • Divide blend mode (learn more)
  • Path text added (learn more)
  • Studio Presets for the UI layout to save your favourite workspace setups for different tasks, explained here Studio panel combinations (also learn more)
  • Create brushes from current pixel selection (learn more)
  • Linked images and Resource Manager (learn more)
  • Use filters on masks
  • Edit spare channels as layers
  • Added per-layer antialiasing controls in the advanced blending menu
  • Added export preview panel (for raster types)
  • Support PDF passthrough to ensure perfect representation of original PDF when exporting, without the need to have embedded fonts installed
  • Benchmarking option to measure speed of your device
  • Content sync of store purchases (requires Sierra [or above] and registration)
    This feature is explained in more detail here Sync your Affinity Store resources with your Affinity 1.9 apps

Fixes & Improvements:

• Improved “Serif Labs” RAW engine including native CR3 support
  • Elliptical marquee automatically creates from centre
  • Hierarchical view (learn more)
  • Configurable margin guide colour
  • Import multiple LUTS (learn more)
  • Placed scale for all placed files, which allows scaling to be reset to 100%
  • Snap to pixel selection bounds
  • Added curves adjustment to the tone mapping persona
  • Added JPEG-XR 101010 import support (useful for screen captures from Xbox, etc.)
  • Added support for 12bit grayscale TIFF files
  • Many TIFF file handling improvements
  • Added “Duplicate spare channel” to right click menu
  • Blend modes now work on “alpha only” layers (masks, adjustments, live filters, etc.)
  • Gradient map adjustments now support global colours
  • Filter effects now work properly with global colours
  • The Curves adjustment now has numeric field controls for precise positioning
  • Unable to use CMYK/LAB/GREY equations in a Live Procedural Texture
  • Adjustments no longer auto apply when expanding a section of the adjustments panel
  • Freehand Selection Tool (Polygonal): Fixed pressing backspace while drawing the selection path deletes the layer rather than the last node
  • More filters now work on masks / adjustments / spare channels (Add Noise, Perlin Noise, etc.)
  • LUT adjustments can be exported directly from the adjustments panel, and batch imported from files
  • Having a large number of LUT presets will no longer make application startup slow
  • Assistant options are now available from preferences (so there is no need to open a document to access them)
  • many redraw issues addressed
  • Various stability improvements
  • Help and Localisation improvements

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in application menu, Affinity Photo > About).

If you’ve purchased from the Mac App Store— updates are done automatically next time you run your software after it is available in the Mac App Store. If this does not happen for you, open the Mac App Store app and go to the Updates page and then Store > Reload page or press CMD+R. This should hopefully force the update to show. Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world which can mean it may take up to 72 hours for your update to be available.

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the software it will check for updates and offer to download and install any available update, or in the application main menu there is an option Check for Updates. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Photo for macOS) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Mac app store purchases and needs a product key).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

11 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

If you’ve purchased from the Mac App Store— updates are done automatically next time you run your software after it is available in the Mac App Store.

Just to give some feedback here, yes they are shown up ...

affinity_updates.jpg.d9e3113b6cf80e426ec0aafe661b94f1.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I posted this message in the wrong version on the software is Designer. Thank you for the new version of Affinity Photo and If you don't mind I have a question. First I am new to Mac. On Windows I know that if I download the last version it will upgrade Affinity Photo. On my Mac I have Affinity Photo version 1.8.6. If I download the version 1.9 and double click on it is it going to update the 1.8.6 just like in Windows. Thank you for your help.

• Staff

@Peter1234

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

34 minutes ago, Peter1234 said:

I am not seeing an update on my Apple Store for my AP v1.8.6.

the update sometimes takes a while, but CMD+Ralso can help 

See the first post in this thread

7 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

If you’ve purchased from the Mac App Store— updates are done automatically next time you run your software after it is available in the Mac App Store. If this does not happen for you, open the Mac App Store app and go to the Updates page and then Store > Reload page or press CMD+R. This should hopefully force the update to show. Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world which can mean it may take up to 72 hours for your update to be available.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I finally found the update in the Apple Store but not from the Update section. I did a search for AP app in the Apple Store. Don't click on the OPEN button but instead click anywhere else on the body of app description. It led me to the update for v1.9.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Peter1234
Clarification

Looks like a fantastic update, can't wait until 1.9.1 arrives to install it :)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

12 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Just to give some feedback here, yes they are shown up ...

affinity_updates.jpg.d9e3113b6cf80e426ec0aafe661b94f1.jpg

Weirdly, for me neither of these showed up in the Updates section, even after I logged out & back into the MAS. But each showed up individually after I entered "Affinity Photo" & then "Affinity Designer" in the MAS search field, each with a button to download/install the 1.9.0 update version.

Each install went flawlessly, but also weirdly, when I switch to the Updates section neither app shows up in the "Updated Recently" section.

Note that my MAS app window looks different from yours because I am running Catalina but I believe it is functionally the same. 

EDIT: I just noticed that for me the same thing happens with the latest update for Vectornator -- when I searched for it I found the update but it was not listed in the Updates section, nor in the "Updated Recently" section after I installed it.

I suspect this is a local problem, not anything that Serif can do anything about....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

46 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Weirdly, for me neither of these showed up in the Updates section, even after I logged out & back into the MAS. ...

After I've saw Patrick's announcement, I've looked into the App Store app, which previously showed the v1.8.6 updates (...I had not installed those, since I knew that those were basically just v1.8.4 versions, but now are instead universal binaries which thus would need much more HD space/size). The App Store app when opened indicated both updates now as v1.9.0 updates instead (as shown in my above screenshot). - Under El Capitan I never have or had such problems here, it always automatically shows and indicates whatever updates are available immediately.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

35 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Under El Capitan I never have or had such problems here, it always automatically shows and indicates whatever updates are available immediately.

Until today, I have not had any problems with updates showing in the MAS in the "Updates" tab either, including while running Catalina. Never had to sign out & back into my account or any of the other workarounds some have needed.

But since both AP & AD as well as Vectornator updates don't show up in the "Updates" tab -- or in the "Recently updated" section even after they were all successfully updated -- I think this is somehow something unique to my system.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But since both AP & AD as well as Vectornator updates don't show up in the "Updates" tab -- or in the "Recently updated" section even after they were all successfully updated -- I think this is somehow something unique to my system.

Maybe can't tell, have to ask some colleagues here, which do their development under Catalina and thus might can tell if they have similar problems. - On my company Macbook Pro I use Mojave as a development platform, there I've once had trouble with the App Store app to change the Apple ID to use. There the MAS first refused to accept another Apple ID for usage (we have several in the company). After some logins/logouts and restarts it finally accepted the change though via a lot of try & error then. - Since then it again runs there flawless too under Mojave.

Sometimes, depending on Apple works and traffic on the MAS, the App Store app seems to have periodically difficulties to connect to the MAS, then one have to try after some time period again.

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Maybe can't tell, have to ask some colleagues here, which do their development under Catalina and thus might can tell if they have similar problems.

The only other problem I have had with the MAS & Catalina is ever since Big Sur was released the "Updates" list shows an available update for Garage Band ... but when I click on it, it tells me that update requires Big Sur. Never had anything like that before -- if an update required a later OS version than was required, it wouls not be shown as an available update.

Affinity Photo 

34 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The only other problem I have had with the MAS & Catalina is ever since Big Sur was released the "Updates" list shows an available update for Garage Band ...

The bad, the available Big Sur update indication/hint never goes away if you don't update, which is somehow distracting if you always see one update available.

Well Catalina still isn't bug free, as Big Sur which by far isn't too yet and has a lot of construction site bugs. Even Mojave has it's glitches but it's still the lesser evil in contrast to the other two.

I have made a request for a pattern generator and it appeared in this release! dont have words how great this is. have the 1.9 update for two days and already used the pattern multiple times, saving me time going back and forth between software testing, fixing. Any little time i can shave off from tedious tasks is much appreciated.

Thanks to the entire team for great work!

Cheers!

Mariusz

Astrophotography stacking features = EXCELLENT !!!
Thank you all SO MUCH for this. This is a feature that will likely only be used by a small subset of users (like me), but you've listened to our feature requests and dove in headfirst and provided some new, really (really) nice dedicated stacking features for astrophotography. The new built-in asset syncing features are also super nice to have (glad to see they also made it into the iPad versions - very handy) - Makes things so much simpler and cleaner.

When updating my versions of all 3 apps on my Mac (M1 Mini), I did get one error when trying to register Affinity Photo. The update went fine, but when trying to register, I did get an error (I stupidly dismissed it however, without making a note, so I'm not sure on the specifics...sorry, makes reporting it probably somewhat useless).
...But, it failed to let me register/login for the first try; however I just tried again and it worked and the registration completed successfully - So I don't think it's probably something to even look into, it could have just been related to so many users trying to update/register at the same time since the update just came out. I'll report back if anything happens again.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone at Serif - you guys are all killing it! Can't wait to see what the future holds.

• Staff

@carol848

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

There is a delta update containing only the changes since the last release for macOS (whether from the Affinity store or from the Mac App Store). Please confirm you are currently on 1.8.6 and where you got Affinity Photo for macOS from (Affinity Store or Mac App Store)?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd