You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher for macOS - 1.9.0

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the macOS release of Affinity Publisher, version 1.9.0

Changes in this build

A highlights explanation can be found here: 5 things you should know about Affinity Publisher 1.9

The detailed changes in Affinity Publisher for MacOS 1.9.0 over the release build Affinity Publisher for macOS 1.8.6 are as follows:

New Features

• Data Merge (learn more)
  • Support PDF Passthrough to ensure perfect representation of original PDF when exporting, without the need to have embedded fonts installed
  • Package feature to collate your document alongside all used image and font resources into a folder (learn more)
  • Studio Presets for the UI layout to save your favourite workspace setups for different tasks, explained here Studio panel combinations  (also learn more)
  • Content sync of store purchases (requires Sierra or above and registration)
    This feature is explained in more detail here Sync your Affinity Store resources with your Affinity 1.9 apps
  • Flattened bitmap representation used for all PSD files 
  • Path text improvements (learn more)
  • Initial text baseline advance (learn more)
  • Configurable bleed and margin guide colours (learn more)
  • OpenAsset support for drag/drop from browser content
  • PDF bookmarks (learn more)
  • Convert pixel layer to image node (learn more)
  • Divide blend mode 

Fixes & Improvements:

General

• Artboard conversion to spreads now optional
  • Placed scale for all placed files, which allows scaling to be reset to 100% (learn more)
  • Pages panel loses the scroll position when switching between document tabs
  • Document Merge - Added option to ignore unused incoming text styles
  • Print Dialog with Book or Booklet Document Layout showing could lead to instability (mac)
  • Fix for PDF export on an M1 Mac causing issues
  • Document profile PDX Export preflight tweak, falls back to CMYK profile for RGB / LAB documents
  • Opening a template from File > Open or Drag and drop will now open it as untitled
  • Filter Effect Dialog - Enabled the use of global colours
  • Performance improvements 
  • Various stability improvements
  • Help and Localisation improvements

Page/Spread

• Resizing single page Master could change the size of dependent spreads incorrectly
  • Deleting Master Page when editing detached could leave 'Editing Detached' notification open
  • Fixed issue where re-applying master pages with text frames with pinned objects could cause document instability
  • When modifying Adjustment Layers any bleed and pasteboard areas affected were not updating correctly
  • Pinned objects from Master Pages were not showing in bleed 
  • Resizing a single page master could cause spreads that used it to be resized incorrectly
  • Guides lost from Master Page when changing from facing to single pages
  • Added option to 'Add Pages (from file) at end of document'
  • Added option in Add Pages From File to 'Add Before / After / Replacing Section'

Text

• Text selection highlight across multiple spreads could display incorrectly 
  • Hyperlink styling could accidentally be added to new text
  • More consistent handling of mid-word punctuation
  • Deleting a row with merged cells could cause a crash
  • Text wrap settings on images could become distorted after a document save and load
  • Fix for hang resizing table columns in certain circumstances
  • Line widths around Drop Caps could be wrong /inconsistent
  • Glyph Browser was missing glyphs under certain circumstances when sorting via Unicode
  • Prevent application of Hyperlink Anchors to Layers / Master Page instances
  • Prevent creation of blank Hyperlink Anchors that could case errors on PDF Export
  • Multi-curve text wrap could be combined incorrectly resulting in unexpected wrapping around complex shapes
  • Bookmarks created by TOC not in the correct order when exported to PDF
  • Style changes not always picked up as out of date for TOC
  • TOC Anchors were not being deleted when the TOC was deleted
  • Fixed generation of wrap shapes for certain images with alpha

Import

• IDML Import - text import now always applies appropriate text styling to be used when appending to imported text
  • IDML import - Speed and efficiency improvements
  • PDF import - Filter Effects could be wrongly rasterised and cause export failures
  • PDF import - placed PDF improvements
  • PDF import - fix for tiling patterns
  • SVG Import - stability improvement

Resources

• Many Resource Manager fixes and improvements
  • Artboard and other settings could be lost when reconnecting missing Affinity resources
  • Place linked files could be opened as <Embedded> under certain circumstances
  • 'Size frame to content' for images imported from IDML could behave incorrectly
  • Picture frame within a Picture Frame could cause crash

Export

• Export Pages field now clears when switching documents
  • PDF Export - panel truncated 'Advanced Features' check box (mac)
  • PDF Export - Improved export of Type 1 fonts, which could cause failure under certain circumstances
  • TGA Export - Fix for 32bit export

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in application menu, Affinity Publisher > About).

If you’ve purchased from the Mac App Store— updates are done automatically next time you run your software after it is available in the Mac App Store. If this does not happen for you, open the Mac App Store app and go to the Updates page and then Store > Reload page or press CMD+R. This should hopefully force the update to show. Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world which can mean it may take up to 72 hours for your update to be available.

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the software it will check for updates and offer to download and install any available update, or in the application main menu there is an option Check for Updates. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Publisher for macOS) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Mac App Store purchases and needs a product key).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for the constant improvements. I have been using Affinity Publisher to produce magazines in the "real world" for a while now, while working also in InDesign, and there are many ways in which I prefer it to InDesign. However, still nothing done to the much awaited (and as far as I am concerned, essential)  table improvements - flowing tables across pages, text to table, table to text. Would I be right in thinking you are holding this back for a 2.0 paid for upgrade? Also, presets for F & R, inc GREP, would save me much work. And spanning multiple columns. Those are the three reasons I cannot yet ditch InDesign for all my work, especially where I collaborate, as I cannot expect others to put up with the laborious work-arounds needed.

Keep up the good work - I am looking forward to the day I can ditch InDesign altogether.

• Staff
15 minutes ago, captain_slocum said:

Would I be right in thinking you are holding this back for a 2.0 paid for upgrade

We are not holding back any features. The developers release what is ready, and develop as quick as they can. Please can you restrict the conversations in this thread to what the software does do, rather than what it does not, or it will go off topic very quickly.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I really want to update but I'm gonna have to hold off until I know for certain if that grouping text boxes bug has been crushed - done a search and can't find any info - but it would cause havoc with my workflow

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Hi Patrick. When I said are you waiting for 2.0 to add table functionality I wasn't implying skullduggery, just saying it in hope that that was the reason, rather than that you weren't thinking of it.

I'm sorry you don't want constructive criticism from professionals who really understand what they are talking about. I've mentioned the tables problem on other areas of this forum many times and never even had a reply or any indication that anyone has read what I have posted. I would have thought you would have welcomed thoughtful feedback from professionals but from your tone you clearly only want people to pat you on the back (which also I do, incidentally) so I'll not bother to continue to evaluate A Pub or post any more.

• Staff
48 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I really want to update but I'm gonna have to hold off until I know for certain if that grouping text boxes bug has been crushed - done a search and can't find any info - but it would cause havoc with my workflow

This regression really needs fixing, agreed. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
31 minutes ago, captain_slocum said:

I'm sorry you don't want constructive criticism from professionals who .... so I'll not bother to continue to evaluate A Pub or post any more.

I am very sorry that you feel like this about my reply. I am in QA and cannot comment on missing features. On release days I try to keep the 8 different announcement posts on track about the new feature without being too discouraging, so sorry if that was not how it came across this time.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

@rugydp

Welcome to the Affinity forums :) and thanks for the thanks.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Since the upgrade to 1.9.0 Publisher is very slow, beachball occurs regularly and a decent workflow is simply not possible.
Before the update it ran fine and with no performance problems. Nothing changed but the update. 

Is this issue already known?

Will there be a fix soon?

I do hope so, otherwise I would have to go back to 1.8. to finish the open projects.

Thanks for the inclusion of the new features though…

H.

On 04/02/2021 at 15:37, Patrick Connor said:

Nous ne retenons aucune fonctionnalité. Les développeurs publient ce qui est prêt et développent aussi vite que possible. Pouvez-vous restreindre les conversations de ce fil à ce que fait le logiciel plutôt qu'à ce qu'il ne fait pas, ou il sortira très rapidement du sujet.

bug sur affinity Mac Catalina 10.15.7 depuis la version 1.9, impossible de modifier les réglages , pas accès au curseur