You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for Windows - 1.9.0

Patrick Connor

• Staff
Just now, DavidGri said:

I switched off the h/w acceleration on my Surface Laptop 3 and the problems went away! Given this is a popular laptop I hope the problem gets resolved

Thanks for reporting back on this. I think that the Surface 3 is really not high enough spec to benefit from this feature, and turning HW acceleration off is really only going back to the old codepath (and therefore the same performance as) of 1.8.5 anyway. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

With huge surprise, I found the Astrophotography stacking feature. Immediately tried it out with my latest stack of lights and darks, and I must say I'm totally blown away! What took me hours before, using DSS and TheGIMP, I managed to achieve within minutes with AP 1.9.

Extremely pleased! Many thanks!

Absolutely love the bulk Lut import, having all my adjustments is fantastic. Btw you can use an extra lut import it in between your categories and rename it to simulate grouping like this yay.

Also the Pattern Layers are too good to be true having that on iPad is Great tiling images and making patterns is a breeze now Ty for this feature.

screenyluts.jpg

While delighted with the updated, I'm rather curious about the decisions on what changes to include and what to not include.

As an example, while the astrophotography section looks brilliant, I do wonder how many customers are likely to use this. On the other hand, it would seem rather useful and relatively straightforward to do such as adapting the HSL hue ring to a general hue selection function, or perhaps more integration between gradients and gradient maps.

I'm sure there is good reason for such choices and would appreciate a little light on my ignorance.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

37 minutes ago, MattyWS said:

Congrats on the 1.9 release! I'd love to know more about what this is about. Editing individual channels in APhoto is still gross.

Spare channels are really useful ways to save and use selections and masks within the image file. Right-click anything in the channels tab to explore. There's a decent description under 'help'. 1.9 now lets you edit spare channels as if they were masks (which they kind of are).

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Thanks again for those wonderful apps, you guys deserve applauds ! The "New 1.9 features" video presentations are very helpful, it made me learn a lot of unknown features.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

This is probably my favourite release out of the last 3 major content patches that have been released since I started using Affinity. Linked Layers, Pattern Layers, Hardware Acceleration, Studio Presets, brushes from pixel selection, Live Liquify, and better canvas rotation controls are to me the highlights of this update. Also a fan of the new account store feature, which I appreciate that you listened to our feedback during Beta and adjusted to something a lot of people would be happy with.

Linked Layers I honestly think is an absolute killer feature, since it opens up an insane amount of control when dealing with complex documents with a lot of moving parts. Even though it is primarily a Photo feature with its current design, I have actually been using it a bit in Designer, which has allowed me to do live symmetry with vector shapes. This type of workflow just was not possible before. I do hope the devs will keep working on this feature to support Designer type of work fully, since the feature is incredible when it does work (currently doesn't support linking between vector layers for grouping).

Again, great job with 1.9! You managed to set a pretty high bar which I hope you will meet again with 1.10! ^^

16 hours ago, dmstraker said:

As an example, while the astrophotography section looks brilliant, I do wonder how many customers are likely to use this

Both of them are thrilled, @dmstraker 😄

Just kidding, the feature itself looks interesting. It is just not my field of photography.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Linked Layers sounds sweet, although aren't these really instances or references with selective inheritance? The term "linked" makes me think of layers being independent but connected for transform operations, whereas the sample video shows adjustment layers being instanced (so would it be clearer to call them instances?).  This is a great feature, but you also need to be able to link non-contiguous layers for transform operations - I'd be calling that "linked" and calling this new system "instanced". 

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

12 minutes ago, AndyQ said:

Linked Layers sounds sweet, although aren't these really instances or references with selective inheritance? The term "linked" makes me think of layers being independent but connected for transform operations, whereas the sample video shows adjustment layers being instanced (so would it be clearer to call them instances?).  This is a great feature, but you also need to be able to link non-contiguous layers for transform operations - I'd be calling that "linked" and calling this new system "instanced". 

It is not easy to know what the majority of customers think of when seeing the term 'linked'. With technical insight in software you probably think of something very specific from that world, I do, while Joe and Joeline Average probably find the term meaningful.

No one would understand 'instanced'. I use a CMS where the term clone is used (and it really is in this case). That is not understood by anyone either.

There is knowledge in the head. And knowledge in the world.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

15 minutes ago, Jowday said:

It is not easy to know what the majority of customers think of when seeing the term 'linked'.

It's true that "linked" could mean many things, but in this case I think it's very easy to assume that the prime objective is to convert Photoshop users to Affinity Photo, also that there are more than a few people who have used Photoshop, so it's a no-brainer to use the term in the same context. It's also not just Photoshop that uses "linking" to mean a transform-related relationship, so there would be many people expecting that kind of behaviour. Instancing, referencing and inheritance are the actual terms used to describe these kinds of behaviours, that programmers would know, but also peeps from a 3D or FX background. They certainly are terms that designers may not know, but sometimes you have to teach people new terminology, and there's no point making up a new name for something when a name already exists.  If you take a horse from Europe to America you still call it a horse; you could argue that "big animal you can tame and use for work and transport that likes apples" would be easier for the native peoples to understand, but if that logic was applied we'd have hundreds of names for everything, which kinda defeats the purpose of naming something, that being communicating meaning. 

What's nice about this feature is that it's not something that Adobe has (although "smart objects" can perform similar functions). If you want to call it "linking" I'd expand it to include transform parameters (note: I've not tested it so maybe those exist?) so you could have layers linked to share transforms ONLY, remaining unique in all other ways (especially pixel data).  The problem with this kind of linking is that it's not apparent what parameters are linked when glancing at the layers palette. You'd at least want to see some unique icons to indicate whether things are just transform-linked or parameter-linked.  I still reckon some kind of node-based view might be the best way to view and manipulate complex structures - it's certainly something that works beautifully in compositing and 3D apps, and once you get your head around the process you'll find massive advantages over layer based work.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

Just installed 1.9 and so far looks good.

Nikon RAW images appear to take longer to load than before,  but maybe that's my own impatience. Using a Z7 so the files are around 50MP.

Hardware acceleration looks brilliant. I have an NVidia GForce 1050 and I see massive increases in performance. Before it was many seconds and now it's instant.

I don't see my camera or its presets supported in RAW editing, nor the brilliant Nikkor Z 14-30 f/4. I've requested that lens be added - months ago - in the open-source lens profiler you use. When are you going to add it? It's been on the market two years.

I'd really like to figure out how to save my own RAW editor presets to apply to RAW files as I first load them. Is there a video available for that? I haven't really found one yet ... maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

5 hours ago, PLShutterbug said:

I'd really like to figure out how to save my own RAW editor presets to apply to RAW files as I first load them. Is there a video available for that? I haven't really found one yet ... maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Don't think there is one, though I'd be delighted to be wrong.

It would also be great to be able to return to the Develop persona and re-adjust settings later (which is why I don't use it much).

Dave Straker

Really great new features, I love a lot of them, especially divide blend mode for correcting color casts. Congratulations for this new version.  I have two questions that might be answered: I have asked myself whether it is possible to use the astrophotography stacking option also for milkyway pictures with landscape in the foreground (like e. g. with sequator https://sites.google.com/site/sequatorglobal/ or similar software) or is it only suitable for deep sky photography as it is shown in the tutorials? Furthermore, could you comment on your plans with the timelapse function because this is a feature that I am really looking forward to and it has been within the betas and has been removed in advance of the release.

Thanks for your great work again!

9 hours ago, larsbre said:

Really great new features, I love a lot of them, especially divide blend mode for correcting color casts. Congratulations for this new version.  I have two questions that might be answered: I have asked myself whether it is possible to use the astrophotography stacking option also for milkyway pictures with landscape in the foreground (like e. g. with sequator https://sites.google.com/site/sequatorglobal/ or similar software) or is it only suitable for deep sky photography as it is shown in the tutorials? Furthermore, could you comment on your plans with the timelapse function because this is a feature that I am really looking forward to and it has been within the betas and has been removed in advance of the release.

Thanks for your great work again!

Export Timelapse was removed from the release because it simply wasn't ready yet. Things like HEVC encoding were broken on some PCs and because of a lack of video quality settings the images were extremely low quality across the board with grainy artefacts. Not exactly the ideal state to release a pretty cool feature in.

They might bring it back in a 1.9.x update, but that is just my own speculation. 

1 hour ago, Photoactive said:

Thanks a lot!

But uninstall first 1.9.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.