You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for Windows - 1.9.0

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the Windows release of Affinity Photo, version 1.9.0

Changes in this build

A highlights explanation can be found here: 5 things you should know about Affinity Photo 1.9

The changes in Affinity Photo for Windows 1.9.0 (made since the last release Affinity Photo for Windows 1.8.5) are as follows:

New Features:

• Live liquify layers (learn more)
  • Linked layers (learn more)
  • Pattern layers (learn more)
  • Stacking for astrophotography (see tutorials here)
  • Divide blend mode (learn more)
  • Path text added (learn more)
  • Windows hardware (GPU) acceleration (for users running Windows 10 (April 2020 update or later) with a Direct3D feature level 12.0 capable card) (learn more)
  • Studio Presets for the UI layout to save your favourite workspace setups for different tasks, explained here Studio panel combinations (also learn more)
  • Create brushes from current pixel selection (learn more)
  • Linked images and Resource Manager (learn more)
  • Use filters on masks
  • Edit spare channels as layers
  • Added per-layer antialiasing controls in the advanced blending menu
  • Added export preview panel (for raster types)
  • Support PDF passthrough to ensure perfect representation of original PDF when exporting, without the need to have embedded fonts installed
  • Benchmarking option to measure speed of your device
  • Content sync of store purchases (requires registration)
    This feature is explained in more detail here Sync your Affinity Store resources with your Affinity 1.9 apps

Fixes & Improvements:

• Improved “Serif Labs” RAW engine including native CR3 support
  • Elliptical marquee automatically creates from centre
  • Hierarchical view (learn more)
  • Configurable bleed and margin guide colours
  • Import multiple LUTS (learn more)
  • Placed scale for all placed files, which allows scaling to be reset to 100%
  • Snap to pixel selection bounds
  • Added curves adjustment to the tone mapping persona
  • Added JPEG-XR 101010 import support (useful for screen captures from Xbox, etc.)
  • Added support for 12bit grayscale TIFF files
  • Added “Duplicate spare channel” to right click menu
  • Blend modes now work on “alpha only” layers (masks, adjustments, live filters, etc.)
  • Gradient map adjustments now support global colours
  • Filter effects now work properly with global colours
  • The Curves adjustment now has numeric field controls for precise positioning
  • Unable to use CMYK/LAB/GREY equations in a Live Procedural Texture
  • More filters now work on masks / adjustments / spare channels (Add Noise, Perlin Noise, etc.)
  • LUT adjustments can be exported directly from the adjustments panel, and batch imported from files
  • Added Canvas Rotation option to Preferences
  • Fixed Changing between RGB and CMYK sliders in Colour Chooser panel gives incorrect values
  • Fixed Moving a mask from a layer to the live stack group crashes the app
  • Unable to open .heic if there is a special character in the file path
  • Original file name no longer saved as "Title" in PDF, after renaming the file
  • TIFF file handling improvements
  • Fixed Tools getting stuck in the hand tool cursor after using spacebar + alt and click to zoom out
  • Hue shift slider background should not move with the slider
  • Creating or adding pixel selections from other layers to a selection also selects the respective layers
  • Various stability improvements
  • Help and Localisation improvements

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in Help > About Affinity Photo).

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the Affinity Store software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Photo for Windows) can be downloaded from this link. (that installer is NOT for Windows Store purchases and needs a product key).

If you’ve purchased from the Microsoft Store— Microsoft Store updates are done automatically by the operating system (each time you start the application). If this does not happen for you, open the Windows Store app and click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and Updates. Click Get Updates. This should hopefully force the update to show.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for the "learn more" links, they are very helpful.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

3 minutes ago, sedgeAlan said:

Embarrassing I know, but after upgrading I cant find where the newly downloaded free packs have been installed, HELP !

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

First, you can look in the My Account window (Help > My Account... or use the icon on the right of the Toolbar) to confirm they have actually been downloaded.

If they are not downloaded, click on the cloud icon to download. If they are downloaded, expand that pack (arrow icon on left) and see what they are. Most likely for this set of free content they will show as .afassets, and in that case look in the Assets panel (View > Studio > Assets).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Well done to all Serif folks. Another great milestone achieved. As a former programmer (and QA guy), I really appreciate the effort.

I did a 1.9 video of beta changes on my InAffinity YouTube channel, and will do another now.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

First, you can look in the My Account window (Help > My Account... or use the icon on the right of the Toolbar) to confirm they have actually been downloaded.

If they are not downloaded, click on the cloud icon to download. If they are downloaded, expand that pack (arrow icon on left) and see what they are. Most likely for this set of free content they will show as .afassets, and in that case look in the Assets panel (View > Studio > Assets).

I found them, thank you very much for your help

All's well this end.

Many thanks.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

**WOW**. Have been disconnected as terribly busy lately (happily)... The list of improvements since latest stable !!! :o 😮  :o  😎😎🤑 And actually I was hoping for exactly those improvements! Huge Kudos... But I need greater adjectives to describe it, in this, my second language...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• Staff

@DavidGri 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

4 minutes ago, DavidGri said:

...can I go back to 1.8? I can't find the official download site for earlier versions  

from the opening post

8 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Photo for Windows) can be downloaded from this link

You will need to uninstall 1.9.0 and reinstall 1.8.5

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Ich bin nach den Irritationen heute Nachmittag sehr zufrieden mit Affinity Photo, alles funktioniert was ich bisher ausprobiert habe! Sogar auf dem Tablet mit Win10 Home ist heute Abend die Installation absolut Problemlos durchgelaufen! 

Die Musterebene aus Auswahl gefällt mir!

Google Übersetzung: I am very satisfied with Affinity Photo after the irritation this afternoon, everything that I have tried so far works! Even on the tablet with Win10 Home, the installation went through with absolutely no problems tonight!

I like the pattern level from selection!

Friedhelm

Nice job! Thanks Serif for the updates -- but I do have a question:

Is there any hope of getting a "fill slider" that isn't actually an opacity slider?

"Fill" works differently than "opacity" in the eight "special blend modes" ( Color Burn, Linear Burn, Color Dodge, Linear Dodge (Add), Vivid Light, Linear Light, Hard Mix, and Difference). Very important in color grading images, among other niceties.

5 hours ago, Igguk said:

Installed and removed this piece of c**p after 20 minutes.  Could have been shorter if it was able to just change my brush in less then 5 minutes...

Hope I can go back to previous version.

Okay, bye!

When you manage to ask help like a normal person then we'd be happy to help you figure out what's wrong.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

So, image on my work-laptop was messed up. weird squares and sloooow as a snail on THC.
Turned off the new hardware acceleration and all is well again. Apparently the GPU isn't supported or something but the checkbox for H/A was on by default.

So, if you see unexpected weird stuff in 1.9 (while being sober) try turning the hardware acceleration off.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD