You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows - 1.9.0

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the Windows release of Affinity Designer, version 1.9.0

Changes in this Build

A highlights explanation can be found here: 5 things you should know about Affinity Designer 1.9

The detailed changes in Affinity Designer for Windows 1.9.0 (over the last release Affinity Designer for Windows 1.8.5) are as follows:

New Features:

• Powerful contour tool to create abstract objects or increase the width of single open curves (learn more)
  • Select Same to efficiently match attributes such as fill colour, stroke colour, stroke weight, transparency, blend mode or shape type (learn more)
  • Select Object to select all objects of a certain type within your document to make editing even easier (learn more)
  • Windows hardware (GPU) acceleration (for users running Windows 10 (April 2020 update or later) with a Direct3D feature level 12.0 capable card)
  • Studio presets for the UI layout to save your favourite workspace setups for different tasks, explained here Studio panel combinations (also learn more)
  • Linked images and Resource Manager (learn more)
  • PDF passthrough option added
  • Save As Package feature to collate your document alongside all used image and font resources into a folder (learn more)
  • Divide blend mode added
  • Placed scale for all placed files, which allows scaling to be reset to 100% (learn more)
  • Added hierarchical antialiasing control - accessed from the Blend Ranges dialog in the Layers Panel
  • Curves numeric field controls
  • Blend modes for mask layers
  • Added export preview to export dialog (for raster types)
  • Create brushes from current pixel selection (learn more)
  • Content sync of store purchases (requires registration).
    This feature is explained in more detail here Sync your Affinity Store resources with your Affinity 1.9 apps

Fixes & Improvements:

• Elliptical marquee automatically creates from centre
  • Added option for Designer to be able to show/hide overflow text - particularly useful for text on a path
  • Snap to pixel selection bounds
  • Configurable bleed and margin guide colours
  • When creating a global colour from an object also apply it
  • Filter effects now work properly with global colours
  • Original file name no longer saved as "Title" in PDF, after renaming the file
  • Fixed inability to change document dimensions while aspect ratio was unlocked
  • When items copied as SVG they could not be pasted as text
  • Fixed Tools getting stuck in the hand tool cursor after using spacebar + alt and click to zoom out
  • Added Canvas Rotation option to Preferences
  • New Samples
  • Various stability improvements
  • Help and Localisation improvements
  • Performance improvements

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in Help > About Affinity Designer).

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the Affinity Store software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Designer for Windows) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Windows Store purchases and needs a product key).

If you’ve purchased from the Microsoft Store— Microsoft Store updates are done automatically by the operating system (each time you start the application). If this does not happen for you, open the Windows Store app and click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and Updates. Click Get Updates. This should hopefully force the update to show.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Freek said:

FYI: the links to the Spotlight articles aren't working, e.g. Studio Panel combinations

Thanks. Please try now

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

51 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Powerful contour tool to create abstract objects or increase the width of single open curves (learn more)

I really liked the last example. Thanks for the update.

Best regards!

Unlike APh and APu the Affinity Designer 1.8.5 does not recognise an available update after program start on my system (Win) - had to install it manually
Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

7 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

Affinity Designer 1.8.5 does not recognise an available update after program start on my system (Win)

For me yes.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thank you all in affinity team for this new version!

Just a question, does the GPU acceleration have any meaningful impact in the program performance?

I download now to try out but my GPU may not be compatible due to being a DX12 card with some DX12 features enabled.

But if it makes a difference in performance I may consider upgrading my GPU because I already maxed out that system on where it can go with the CPU upgrades.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

• Staff
2 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

does the GPU acceleration have any meaningful impact in the program performance?

Some beta testers saw significant increases in performance. Some did not, but for those who do it was certainly beneficial. The latest drivers often improved matters. This is some bleeding edge stuff.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

14 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

I download now to try out but my GPU may not be compatible due to being a DX12 card with some DX12 features enabled.

Preferences, Performance will let you know if it applies to your OS and GPU at all.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Some beta testers saw significant increases in performance. Some did not, but for those who do it was certainly beneficial. The latest drivers often improved matters. This is some bleeding edge stuff.

hm I will take a deeper look into it then. As is my GPU is not supported and probably your team need to adjust the text here to reflect on support for CGN 1.1 that is the version from which there is full DX12 support (mine is a 7850 CGN 1.0 that is DX12, yet not full DX12, don't ask me how they do that :P )

I don't really feel comfortable with getting an nvidia GPU for my own reasons, but if it can improve my performance it is not out of the question.

What I don't understand is why it requires DirectX for openCL , I though openCL is a different API and OS agnostic

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Working OK for me here?

image.png

I got the notice on Publisher and Photo but not on Designer ... maybe just a local hickup ...

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

• Staff

@APW-Design

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) and thank you for your kind words.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd