You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for iPad - 1.9.0

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the iPad release of Affinity Designer, version 1.9.0
(note this 1.9.0 build calls itself 1.9.3 in the about box)

Changes in this build

The changes in Affinity Designer for iPad 1.9.0 (over the last release  Affinity Designer for iPad 1.8.6) are as follows:

New Features:

• Powerful contour tool to create abstract objects or increase the width of single open curves
  • Select Same to efficiently match attributes such as fill colour, stroke colour, stroke weight, transparency, blend mode or shape type
  • Select Object to select all objects of a certain type within your document to make editing even easier
  • External display support with separate configuration options 
  • Added Divide layer blend mode
  • Global colours supported
  • Added Export Preview in the Export dialog
  • Added hierarchical antialiasing control - accessed from the Layer Options view in the layers studio
  • Blend modes for mask layers
  • Create brushes from current pixel selection
  • Content sync of store purchases (requires registration)
    This feature is explained in more detail here Sync your Affinity Store resources with your Affinity 1.9 apps
  • New Samples

Fixes & Improvements:

• Elliptical marquee automatically creates from centre
  • Numerous drawing issues resolved
  • PDF import: Improvement to handling of mask images
  • Added Preference option (under 'General') to disable external screen broadcasting
  • Fix for Transform studio not allowing access to Constraints
  • Added Snapping to Pixel Selection Bounds
  • Text improvements
  • Fix for colour-picker not working correctly in brush tools
  • Fix a number of potential symbol-related problems
  • Snapping improvements
  • Miscellaneous PDF export tweaks
  • PDF Import improvements (particularly around tinted colours and unknown fonts)
  • Fix for pixel layers inside symbols occasionally acting incorrectly
  • Fixed sporadic crash with Pencil Tool and hopefully generally improved product stability
  • Improved drawing with the Apple Pencil (Light pressure could create a blob at the beginning of the stroke)
  • Fix for artefacts occasionally noticed in the noise pattern while editing objects with noise on a linear fill
  • Added option for Designer to be able to show/hide overflow text - particularly useful for text on a path
  • Fix for terrible rendering problems - particularly affected cropped items with layer effects applied
  • Improved performance with large documents
  • Help & localisation improvements

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the corner of preferences screen.

Your Affinity iPad apps should update automatically next time you run them. However, you do need to be logged in with the same Apple ID you used to buy them.

If the automatic update does not happen for you, go to the iPad Store app and go to Updates. Once you’re there, tap near the top of the screen where it states 'Updates' and then hold, pull down and then release. This should manually refresh the updates page. However, don’t panic if the updates are not available for you yet—Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world and this can take up to 24 hours.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Just sharing something here with the new release.

I might be getting ahead of myself... but I’m pretty sure this had been an issue for me on the iOS version at least:

when drawing a Stroke with a tapered width and rounded end points, I found that it would fall apart after Expanding Stroke ( broken edges, too many generated points, artefacts etc).

no longer...behold!

Might not seem like much to some, but this means that Designer is now a legitimate logo creation tool for me on the go. Perfect smooth curves are essential for a logo that might appear at large scales ( ya don’t want embarrassing bumps showing up on a billboard for the world to see)

9 minutes ago, VectorCat said:

Where/how do we learn to implement the External Display functionality?

This discussion probably belongs in a separate thread, but since we’re here: when you connect an external display, additional settings become available in the Navigator Studio. For further details, please refer to the ‘Using external screens’ topic in the app’s built-in Help.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
On 2/7/2021 at 3:10 PM, lafasta said:

Where is the timelapse feature? It was in the beta and I was most excited for this! 

It was not ready for release, and needs more polish. It should come back in 1.9.x

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 2/8/2021 at 3:23 PM, Patrick Connor said:

It was not ready for release, and needs more polish. It should come back in 1.9.x

Awww... too bad. I was so excited when I saw this feature. Of course all the other new features are amazing, but having the ability to showcase my work would help grow my business so much!

4 minutes ago, jokanaan said:

Where is select same feature hidden on iPad? 

Choose the Move Tool and tap on the little white triangle at the right-hand end of the Context toolbar.

44E68DEA-F832-4FDC-BDBE-1974CB290861.jpeg.88abd07030829dea2704f450c466455e.jpeg

Choose the desired selection mode from the dropdown list and tap on the ‘Make Selection’ button.

157AC37E-EBCF-4B63-B191-33FA09FF1FD7.jpeg.825b0bd634018c162b4af4f99b0c5d40.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2021 at 6:43 PM, ashf said:

How do I delete a line between nodes like desktop version?

If I understand the question, the way I do it is to select both nodes and tap the Break button. This turns one curve into three. Then I leave node-editing mode, select the unwanted curve from the Layers panel, and delete it

9 hours ago, Charles Jenkins said:

If I understand the question, the way I do it is to select both nodes and tap the Break button. This turns one curve into three. Then I leave node-editing mode, select the unwanted curve from the Layers panel, and delete it

It's about new feature in 1.9.