You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a quick way to convert scanned line drawings to vector shapes?

At the moment I'm using the pen tool - Zooming in really close and outlining each line. It's very time consuming. Is there a faster way to do this?

Attached is an example of the kind of drawing I'd like to convert. I'd like to be able to have a flat image and play with the color (Where the drawing is black)

Thanks!

Priest cackle.pdf

19 minutes ago, Christomanisto said:

I tried using Vector magic but I don't think it's what I'm looking for.

You can try out Inkscape's build-in vectorizer (freeware) which uses an enhanced Potrace/Autotrace version.

19 minutes ago, Christomanisto said:

And those images you posted above, are they editable in Affinity? Could I manipulate them/ change their color etc.?

Fixx posted for you vectorized images in PDF format, thus vector format. - Of course you can open these PDF files in Designer/Photo/Publisher and change every vector layer /curve) to your needs there.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Vector Magic (VM) can look more complicated than it actually is, it renders this drawing easily to SVG. A neat feature with VM is it will separate the colours in layers for you, so in the screenshot below I can turn off the white background so it's got transparency.

image.png.51175047441c561c9dff0e8ac4f9f590.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 minutes ago, Christomanisto said:

Really? How did you do that? Is that #ffffffff layer now an editable vector? And are you using the desktop version or online? 

Thanks for the response! 

edit away: Priest cackle.svg :12_slight_smile: every part of the image is editable and basically in sections.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Yes Desktop VM on Mac, Vector magic doesn't like to import PDF so I converted the PDF to a PNG file in Affinity Designer then opened the PNG file in Vector Magic, before exporting there are a few settings that need to be set in order to get the colour groups.

image.png.2016bce20933c37f12c5ace7eb43d001.png

Just now, Christomanisto said:

Ah right, I see! I've just got the online version so I don't think what you've done is possible for me. 

Thanks for taking the time though! 

Vector Magic is worth buying if you are using it a lot and preferably it's earning it's keep by making money.

Here is some short overview of some vectorizing/tracing forum threads and some of the available third party tools ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

4 hours ago, Christomanisto said:

Really? How did you do that? Is that #ffffffff layer now an editable vector?

Of course if you vectorize art, background is selectable and can be made transparent.

I have also used VM some and is very good. I just think there are cheaper alternatives also for PC.

Yes VM is a good vectorizer though IMHO on the too expensive side here. Other vectorizing tools will give equally good results and are much cheaper or freeware in contrast to that one.

After some research and comparisons I once did, the following desktop tools have shown to generate the best results in terms of vectorizing quality ...

• SuperVectorizer 2 (Mac, commercial)
  • Inkscape's Potrace/Autotrace based build-in enhancements (Win/Mac/Linux, freeware)
  • VectorMagic (Win/Mac, commercial)

The above named tools do support color tracing with quite good/usable color quantisation, they also support outline- and center line tracing. In terms of workaround speed SV2 is the Speedy Gonzales among these here, meaning it's a very fast performer even on lame older hardware.