You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Sorry if this super obvious but I've been trying to experiment with a bitmap gradient and it's not working out for me.  Maybe I'm too tired.

1- How do you export from AP as a bitmap?

2- I tried googling this as well but... well I'm just going to ask now that I've spent so long trying to do this with no luck... I'm trying to create "radial" hearts.  I made it this far by duplicating layers and then increasing size.  I'm sure there's a better way as you can see I really don't want to do this 100 more times.  Thank you!

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=217B506ECD6BAC9E!120&authkey=!AOSMBMVLO_tkv5M&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

This is my failed attempt at bitmap gradient.. which was actually a TIFF.  

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=217B506ECD6BAC9E!121&authkey=!AOymtFUfzynQ2jE&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

Thanks again for anyone kind enough to offer help  :)

• Staff

Hi prograham,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can do this type of effect easily using shapes.

1) Go to the Shapes Tool ( blue square icon), press and hold the icon until a list of shapes appear and select the Heart Tool (it's on the bottom of the shapes list). Click and drag on canvas to draw the heart. The small red dot on the centre (on top) lets you adjust the inner corner.

2) Give it a stroke colour and line width using the context toolbar (right above the work area).

3) When you are happy with the heart, press ⌘ (cmd) + J to (power) duplicate it. You now have a copy above the original heart. Press and hold ⇧ (shift) + ⌘ (cmd) to scale the copy from the centre until you are happy with it. Any transformations you apply at this point will be replicated to the next duplicate. So for example if you rotate the heart a little the duplicates will be scaled up and rotated too. Now press continuously ⌘ (cmd) + J to create more copies of the heart already scaled up until you get the design you want. 

Although this video about Power Duplicate was created for Affinity Designer it works exactly the same for Photo. Take a look as it may help a little too.

Since those shapes are vector objects, you can then move, scale, change whatever properties you want independently from each other.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

Hello gleeb,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently there's no vector patterns in Affinity Designer, but you can fill a shape with a bitmap pattern going to the Gradient Tool and selecting Bitmap from the Type dropdown in the context toolbar.

Thank you for the advice. There is also a YouTube tutorial I belatedly found that addresses the problem: 

• 2 years later...

Is there an update on vector patterns? Is it available, or in the works? Thanks.

On 9/20/2015 at 9:26 PM, MEB said:

Currently there's no vector patterns in Affinity Designer, but you can fill a shape with a bitmap pattern going to the Gradient Tool and selecting Bitmap from the Type dropdown in the context toolbar.

• 1 year later...