You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer progressive slowdown over an hour

Balakov

Hi,

I've been spending a lot of time in Affinity Designer recently and I've noticed the performance slowly degrading over time. It takes about an hour of use before I really start to notice the problems. Dragging objects around becomes juddery, some mouse clicks won't register instantly, and the CPU regularly spikes to 100% when performing operations. Relaunching Designer fixes the performance issues for another hour or so.

I can normally tell when performance is going to tank by the amount of memory Designer is using. It starts at around 400MB and over an hour climbs to about 2GB while I work. After about 1.8GB things start to get noticeably bad. I've tried reducing the undo buffer size and messing with the RAM Usage Limit, but nothing seems to fix it. This may just be coincidental, though. I'm on a 32GB system and work with simple files that average about 40k so I should not be having memory issues.

I can't say for sure when this started happening, but probably a few months ago. I've experienced this on my old PC (intel i5 with 16GB RAM and a GTX 1070) and my brand new AMD 5600X with 32GB and same the GTX 1070 (fresh Windows install and fresh Affinity Designer install). I've also tried both Designer 1.8.5.703 and the 1.9.0.927 beta with stock brushes/assets.

It feels like some internal list is getting larger and larger over time and causing every operation to take longer. It doesn't seem to matter how complex the scene is. Once it's slow the only thing that will bring it back is a relaunch. 

If I can provide any more information or test anything out, please let me know. I'm normally in Designer for at least an hour every day so I see this issue all the time.

In addition to the hardware mentioned above, I'm running the latest nVidia 460.89 "Studio" drivers and outputting to a 37" Dell ultrawide monitor running at 3840x1600. I've also got a Wacom tablet plugged in, but nothing exotic that I can think would affect Affinity.

Cheers,
Mike

I would check the undo limit in the preferences dialog. The default is 1024 steps. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...