You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.932 (RC6)

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features, performance, fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Changes

• Fixed crash undoing Flatten Layers

1.9.0.927 (RC5) release notes

Wow, thanks for the Pattern Layer! Pattern Layer allows you to create complex seamless textures with a brush!

Ive noticed that when I try to export JPEG or Tiff files the export dialog shows as affinity file not JPEG or Tiff.  The resulting export is unaffected and the file format is either a JPEG or a Tiff just the dialog is incorrect under save as type while exporting.

JPG Export.jpg

2 hours ago, DBCAB said:

Ive noticed that when I try to export JPEG or Tiff files the export dialog shows as affinity file not JPEG or Tiff.  The resulting export is unaffected and the file format is either a JPEG or a Tiff just the dialog is incorrect under save as type while exporting.

JPG Export.jpg

This is caused by a Windows setting that hides or shows file extensions - that is turned on/off somewhere in Windows. When Windows is configured to show file extensions, it will look like this:

image.png.c215ce714a025e2366bc4e4cf0ccfa33.png

I happily forgot all about where this setting can be changed. 😕

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

This is caused by a Windows setting that hides or shows file extensions - that is turned on/off somewhere in Windows. When Windows is configured to show file extensions, it will look like this:

image.png.c215ce714a025e2366bc4e4cf0ccfa33.png

I happily forgot all about where this setting can be changed. 😕

The setting you are referring to in windows ten is under view on the top toolbar, the export dialog usually looks like this picture Ive attached regardless of the hide file extensions being enabled or not, and is only showing this way on jpeg and tiff export its a minor thing doesn't affect much other than I thought I accidentally hit save as and not export lol. Just thought Id post since I noticed it on export several times.

Png Export.jpg

Hi Mark, sorry to trouble you with this issue again, but today I dowloaded the latest versions of the Affinity Photo for Windows as well as the Beta version. The Affinity Photo download took about 4 minutes, while the Beta download lasted more than an hour. Surely there is someting wrong with the beta download.

26 minutes ago, Linslusen said:

The Affinity Photo download took about 4 minutes, while the Beta download lasted more than an hour. Surely there is someting wrong with the beta download.

The retail versions are served from cloudfront.net, which is a large provider of web-caching services and which has (I believe) server locations around the world which can be used to speed up the delivery. The beta versions are served from an Amazon AWS server, with one location on the East Coast, I believe. Additionally, cloudfront may provide a faster connection to the network.

Both the server location and the server network speed would impact the download speed, and that probably explains the difference you see. Not something "wrong" with the download.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I think that's the way it should be.
But you can use Gaussian Blur Filter or Gaussian Blur Live Filter.
You can also copy the selection to a separate layer and then apply Gaussian Blur FX.

45 minutes ago, Abelnt said:

the effect go to all layer, not the selection.

They are called "Layer effects", aren't they?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The retail versions are served from cloudfront.net, which is a large provider of web-caching services and which has (I believe) server locations around the world which can be used to speed up the delivery. The beta versions are served from an Amazon AWS server, with one location on the East Coast, I believe. Additionally, cloudfront may provide a faster connection to the network.

Both the server location and the server network speed would impact the download speed, and that probably explains the difference you see. Not something "wrong" with the download.

Hi Walt, thanks for the explanation. A quicker download of the beta would anyway be appreciated.

You're welcome.

Only someone from Serif would be able to comment on the rationale and tradeoffs between using one service or the other for the betas.

-- Walt
PC: