You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pictures not printing true to colour

Hi could anyone please give me some advice, I am very new to Affinity Designer and also sublimation printing, after sorting out all my printer settings and installing the icc profile I thought I had cracked it, however I have just printed 2 different designs on the same page. One is printing true to colour and the other (which has pink and grey tones) are going onto the surfaces very brown ? The mug on the right was printed on the same sheet?

144931682_1046471462501241_6330867994448003350_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=f79d6e&_nc_ohc=pvvxltgLLPoAX_xcyGN&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&tp=6&oh=75e4d3ca9d80d8c8a401fbf17403c216&oe=603EDAB2145008464_245845557257768_3826435700366382806_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=f79d6e&_nc_ohc=6rS9AyDTR1MAX9omtMl&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&tp=7&oh=85d8f51b3dfcd6555753ea06f67c5e5b&oe=603C7573

Edited by Nina123

Welcome to the forum @Nina123

What do the images look like using the SoftProof adjustment filter?

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Adjustments/adjustment_softProof.html

Would be a big help to let us know what colour profile you are using, what the doc settings are re colour and maybe a few screenshots

Example:

image.png.0edf50521711926a44780aa497f8d7c4.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

40 minutes ago, Nina123 said:

Hi could anyone please give me some advice, I am very new to Affinity Designer and also sublimation printing, after sorting out all my printer settings and installing the icc profile I thought I had cracked it, however I have just printed 2 different designs on the same page. One is printing true to colour and the other (which has pink and grey tones) are going onto the surfaces very brown ? The mug on the right was printed on the same sheet?

144931682_1046471462501241_6330867994448003350_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=f79d6e&_nc_ohc=pvvxltgLLPoAX_xcyGN&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&tp=6&oh=75e4d3ca9d80d8c8a401fbf17403c216&oe=603EDAB2145008464_245845557257768_3826435700366382806_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=f79d6e&_nc_ohc=6rS9AyDTR1MAX9omtMl&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&tp=7&oh=85d8f51b3dfcd6555753ea06f67c5e5b&oe=603C7573

I am sure others will be able to help you. I would suggest changing the title of your thread to something regarding your question. Some find it confusing when it asks for "Title". This is not for your title or name but where you should briefly put in your issue so people can see and those who might have an interest or answer can look, read and hopefully help with a reply. Title could simply be "files not printing true colour" or something along those lines. 

23 hours ago, wonderings said:

I am sure others will be able to help you. I would suggest changing the title of your thread to something regarding your question. Some find it confusing when it asks for "Title". This is not for your title or name but where you should briefly put in your issue so people can see and those who might have an interest or answer can look, read and hopefully help with a reply. Title could simply be "files not printing true colour" or something along those lines. 

Thanks, I have changed it now :)

The document profile is sRGB IEC1966 2.1 and the printer profile is the ink expert icc profile for your printer.

SoftProofing is a filter on the layers panel...
image.png.1a39dc89f6007547df05a864db383550.png

If you add that filter you can select the ink expert profile you have used for your printer profile to see how it would look.

You can also change the document profile fro sRGB IEC1966 2.1 to the ink expert colour profile from Document > Convert Format / ICCprofile

Menus might look slightly different as I'm on Mac.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Nina123 said:

The mug on the right was printed on the same sheet?

Are you saying you printed a single sheet, and one pressed mug came out fine and one came out dark? Or do you mean they were both printed on the same type of sheet?

If the printed sheet looked uniform, then it's unlikely to be print settings or file setup. I would imagine that the second mug was pressed at a different temperature to the first - either hotter because the press continued to warm up, or cooler because the first mug took the heat out. The temp can, I believe, affect the colours. 

I'd try another run, give some time between pressing.

Hmm, that is odd. If you create a new document, then paste in the "good" side from your existing one and duplicate it and try that it would rule out any odd file setup issue. If the sheet prior to pressing looks fine though I've no idea how it can produce different outcomes.

The soft proofing etc isn't going to help in this instance, your print setup looks fine.

• Staff

Hi @Nina123,

It would help to see a copy of your Affinity document, could you please upload a sample here for us?

If you'd like to keep the file private please do let me know and I can provide an upload link :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

22 hours ago, BofG said:

Are you saying you printed a single sheet, and one pressed mug came out fine and one came out dark?

22 hours ago, Nina123 said:

@BofG yes both images printed on the same page at the same time 

I'm confused now :)

Is the problem that some files are coming out the wrong colour and others are not? Or that one half of your sheet results in a different pressed colour to the other half?

@Nina I thought the first photo of the mugs were the same design, but I didn't spot one had three people on the bench and the other two. Makes more sense now :)

The "lauren and lucas" file is CMYK - SWOP (this is what appears to be the correct looking mug?)
The "family" file is RGB/8 sRGB

You need to go to file > document setup > colour then change colour format to match the one from the correct file (I think CMYK).