You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

I am currently using the trail version of Affinity photo and find the speed of develop and saving an image very slow compare to photoshop, is the full version any quicker? I am using a Mac running ver 10.13 i5 2.7 and 16gb ram.

many thanks for any help

Paul

21 minutes ago, Paul467 said:

is the full version any quicker

The trial is the same as the "full" version, but only time limited. Perhaps upcoming 1.9x is faster.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Hi @Paul467,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Have you tried following the suggestions at the below FAQ?

Please do let me know if this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi thanks for your message, I have just updated to ver 1.9 which seems to improved the develop speed very slightly, but it is still taking over 20 seconds to process, I will try my daughters new Macbook and see if it is any quicker on that, as it may be my computer. Thanks again

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know Paul, 20 seconds still seems longer than I'd expect for most RAW files.

Could you please provide a sample RAW file for me here?

Do let us know if the app performs any better for you on another Mac :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

14 hours ago, anon2 said:

I'm running AP 1.8.6 on macOS 10.13.6 and the develop time for that CR2 is no more than one second with compute acceleration enabled and about two seconds with compute acceleration disabled.

14 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

About 5 seconds here on Mac OS 10.14.6

thanks for the replies any ideas why it is so slow on mine?

• Staff

Thanks for providing that Paul, on both Mac and Windows this image was developed in around 2 seconds, similar to the results that other users are seeing with this file.

9 hours ago, Paul467 said:

any ideas why it is so slow on mine?

There may be a few reasons for this - when developing the image in Affinity do you tend to have many other applications running in the background?

How much available RAM (memory) and Storage is there on your mac?

Under Affinity Photo > Preferences > Performance, what are your settings here? A screenshot of this would help.

Many thanks :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi 

Thanks for the reply, specs for Mac and Affinity preferences are below, the Mac has 16gb ram and has 650gb of free storage, I have also tried processing the image using a separate 480gb SSD drive, and also tried with every other application closed but I am getting the same results

Regards

Paul 

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 09.57.57.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 10.02.43.png

19 hours ago, Paul467 said:

Hi Dan

This is one of the images that in am processing and they are all approximately the same file size, if just timed this one and it took 24 seconds which is causing me a bit of an issue when I have approx 300 to do

Regards

Paul

IMG_4868.CR2 40.03 MB · 5 downloads

Takes 19 seconds on my Windows 8.1 PC that does not have hardware acceleration

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
25 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Takes 19 seconds on my Windows 8.1 PC that does not have hardware acceleration

Thanks for trying that Carl, I disabled hardware acceleration on my machine and the export time still did not exceed 5 seconds, so there might be something more at play here.

I will pass the file through to our QA team for further testing on multiple devices to see if we can replicate this here :)

Please note -

Many thanks!