You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How about having a different function for Alt+mouse wheel

3 hours ago, Jesse Covner said:

How about change alt+mousewheel to pan left/right? 

Shift + mousewheel does this.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 hours ago, dominik said:

Shift + mousewheel does this.

d.

Thank you. This is quite helpful. That being said, I don't see a purpose of rotating the document by small increments; the ALT + mousewheel could be used to change brush size. (in Photo). I'm sure we can think of better usages of this.

33 minutes ago, Jesse Covner said:

I don't see a purpose of rotating the document by small increments.

Needs are differently. Others have asked for this functionality and eventually (not so long ago) it was introduced by the programers. This was for some users a welcome addition 🙂

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

6 hours ago, dominik said:

Needs are differently. Others have asked for this functionality and eventually (not so long ago) it was introduced by the programers. This was for some users a welcome addition 🙂

I don't think anyone ever asked for it in Publisher. It is very useful when drawing in Designer and Photo, not so much in a DTP program. The thing is the three programs share almost all code and functionality so clashes of interest like this will happen. This also means Serif must consider possible action.

Optimally Serif should identify these clashes and offer customization options to remedy the situations. Users of Publisher that never make art or illustrations in Designer/Photo will rarely understand or need rotation of the page. Perhaps in Publisher it should rotate the page in steps of 90 degrees instead. Whatever makes sense to customers.

So indeed needs are different. But instead of repeating that which leads absolutely nowhere I would recommend what I just said; that Serif adds customization where it resolves such issues.

Ah, the benefits of LISTENING.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff
13 minutes ago, drkanukie said:

where is ALT+MOUSEWHEEL even documented?

This feature is documented in the helpfile here - https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/DesignAids/rotateCanvas.html?title=Rotate document view

"To switch on/off document view rotation using a scroll wheel:
From Edit>Preferences (Tools option), check or uncheck Enable canvas rotation with Alt+scroll wheel."

Are you referring to something other than help documentation? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

18 minutes ago, Dan C said:

From Edit>Preferences (Tools option), check or uncheck Enable canvas rotation with Alt+scroll wheel."

Wow. Awesome. I really think this should be unchecked by default. Or maybe it's just me. CAn you tell me what is the use of an incremental canvass rotation?

• Staff

Thanks for your feedback!

Previously our canvas rotation was in increments of 15degress, however this didn't provide quite enough flexibility for users, so our developers decided to add more granular control using this shortcut.

This still rotates the canvas in increments, simply smaller increments for finer control.

As far as I'm aware this was a design choice by the developers and allows you to edit/draw onto your canvas at a more 'comfortable' angle for certain documents :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

12 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for your feedback!

No problem. But my question is still the same: what specifically is the use case? In Publisher, when would you ever tilt a canvas to 27 degrees?  Artists don't turn their physical canvases while they paint.

I'll admit the big problem with this (besides not knowing how to turn this off) is that in Adobe products, alt+ mousewheel is zoom (accept in free Acrobat Reader). Control key allows panning left-right. So for people coming from Adobe products, they have to unlearn a muscle memory. A still need adobe to make form fills, as Publisher does not do this yet. 

To me, allowing alt+mousewheel to control brush size in photo is really a no-brainer.

I disabled it in Publisher - shortcuts with and without mouse now makes total sense.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.