You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which iMac is best for Affinity Designer

16 hours ago, loukash said:

Put things in the right perspective, folks.

Regardless, new intel-mac is not a good investment now. M1 models are so much more bang for the buck that there simply is no reason to pay same price for intel based mac.

To R C_R.        Thank you.    I guess I will have a whole lot of re-learning to do when I get the desktop and AD installed.    Hopefully it will help me as I have early signs of cataracts and no chance in UK at the moment or for a long while of getting an operation if they get worse.   Not that I’d want to go into hospital at this time anyway.   Know too many people who went in with one thing and came out with Covid and died.     Sorry for misunderstanding that you meant desktop and not ipad version.

On 2/1/2021 at 4:22 PM, jmwellborn said:

But if eyesight is a problem, you will probably find that a Mac Mini is not that much easier to read than an iPad

A Mac mini is much better than an iMac because you can choose a screen that really fits.

21 minutes ago, Oval said:

A Mac mini is much better than an iMac because you can choose a screen that really fits.

But her preferred choice is an iMac, to use along with her iPad.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

4 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

But her preferred choice is an iMac, to use along with her iPad.  

Carole wrote in her OP that “it makes sense to have a desktop compatible with [her] iPad Pro”. That doesn’t seem to preclude the option of a desktop Mac which happens not to be an all-in-one machine.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 hours ago, CaroleG said:

To R C_R.        Thank you.    I guess I will have a whole lot of re-learning to do when I get the desktop and AD installed.    Hopefully it will help me as I have early signs of cataracts and no chance in UK at the moment or for a long while of getting an operation if they get worse.   Not that I’d want to go into hospital at this time anyway.   Know too many people who went in with one thing and came out with Covid and died.     Sorry for misunderstanding that you meant desktop and not ipad version.

Having gone through the cataracts business myself, I think you will find any iMac lovely to work with, particularly with a Retina screen.  One of the downsides about a developing cataract is that it changes the actual colors that we see -- often putting a yellowish cast on every color.  The Retina screens will definitely brighten things up, although no matter what computer you use before you do have your cataract surgeries, you may want to check with actual color charts to be sure that when you are choosing a lovely shade of something (you think) you are actually getting that shade (values in RGB, CMYK, etc.) and not something slightly off.  There are probably loads of places to look, but I have found a "List of colors" ( A-Z)  on Wikipedia that will show you what I mean.  

Good luck with your new machine, whatever you choose, and stay out of the hospital if you can!!  😊  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

3 hours ago, Oval said:

how tiny things get with the standard macOS preferences on Mac 27″

With a retina display, can't you just go to System Preferences > Displays > Display > Scaled > select your preferred resolution?

That's a serious question as I don't have a retina Mac to test it.
But I'd expect retina displays to be largely resolution agnostic, meaning you can scale the display content to your liking without getting blurry – unlike pre-retina displays like my MacBook Pro 2012.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 minutes ago, loukash said:

With a retina display, can't you just go to System Preferences > Displays > Display > Scaled > select your preferred resolution?

That's a serious question as I don't have a retina Mac to test it.
But I'd expect retina displays to be largely resolution agnostic, meaning you can scale the display content to your liking without getting blurry – unlike pre-retina displays like my MacBook Pro 2012.

Of course, you can adjust the used/shown resolution to your needs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Of course, you can adjust the used/shown resolution to your needs.

And she can also change the interface from dark to light which is much easier on older eyes as a general rule.  

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

she can also change the interface from dark to light which is much easier on older eyes as a general rule.

Definitely. Now if only Serif would finally fix all the Light UI bugs, so that I could finally switch as well… :/

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

17 hours ago, loukash said:

Of course, because you could have read “with standard macOS preferences”. So retina perhaps does not really makes sense here for CaroleG and others: All UI Elements are too small on a 5k iMac.

1 hour ago, Oval said:

retina perhaps does not really makes sense here

You mean that the Affinity UI elements don't scale even if you change the resolution per support.apple.com/en-us/HT202471?

• 2 weeks later...