You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Erase Brush Tool Bugged

Erase Brush Tool does not work properly in this scenario....

After using these steps the tool either does not work at all or erases random small patches: Selection Brush Tool>Invert Pixel Selection>Switch to Erase Brush Tool.
The objective I am trying to achieve is select an object within a scene and then erase the remainder of the image surrounding the selected object.

I am using an old Wacom Bamboo tablet and pen on Windows 10, Affinity Designer (latest version 1.8.5 PK [703]). To rule out the tablet as the issue I unplugged the device and used the mouse and this had no affect on the end result, the Erase Brush Tool still buggy. To confirm, Opacity-Flow-Hardness all at 100%. Also checked layers by going to layers tab and selecting the different layers and testing tool and problem persists.

Edited by KA1Z3N

With the Erase Brush Tool selected, pick one of the solid brushes from the Basic brush category and try again

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on the brush you are using.
If your brush is not 100% opaque – e.g. the brush itself has some transparency, like the Round Light Brush in the Basic brush set – then it won’t erase the pixels fully using only one brush stroke.
In other words, the opacity you set on the Context Toolbar is a modifier of the opacity of the brush. If the brush has a 50% transparent area then 100% in the Context Toolbar is saying “Paint with the brush at 100% of 50% transparency, which is 50%.”

14 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I think it depends on the brush you are using.
If your brush is not 100% opaque – e.g. the brush itself has some transparency, like the Round Light Brush in the Basic brush set – then it won’t erase the pixels fully using only one brush stroke.
In other words, the opacity you set on the Context Toolbar is a modifier of the opacity of the brush. If the brush has a 50% transparent area then 100% in the Context Toolbar is saying “Paint with the brush at 100% of 50% transparency, which is 50%.”

this happens with every brush at 1px.

46 minutes ago, thatGuy said:

a 1px round brush does not fully overlap a 1px square shape, thus the approximation - try using a 3px brush, zoom in and move it around for better visibility.

If you need full pixels erased better use selection/delete, otherwise paint over with the pixel tool

Dang, that's one more issue against photoshop... I guess I'll need to stick to modify more pixels than needed bc there's no "no background paint brush" for transparent bg

4 hours ago, Manurocker95 said:

to modify more pixels

1. Lasso tool, Feather: 0, Antialias: off
  2. make selection
  3. delete

That said, it would be nice if the eraser had an "Always Snap To Pixel" option. Because on the other hand, often the current behavior is exactly what I'd want, so it's not a Bad Thing™ per se.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2