You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Removing Sample Images

Hello,

Just purchased Affinity Photo and downloaded all the sample files that you are presentted with at app startup. How do you remove these sample images, some of which are huge, where are they on the hard drive? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks

Hey fml,

as far as I can see, they are stored in a hidden folder 

*Your Startup Volume*/private/var/folders/…/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/

But I would not recommend to access and delete hidden system files directly …  ;)

Cheers, Alex

Hey fml,

as far as I can see, they are stored in a hidden folder 

*Your Startup Volume*/private/var/folders/…/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/

But I would not recommend to access and delete hidden system files directly …  ;)

Cheers, Alex

Argh! Why even makes those hidden system files?! Unreal.

Anyone?
I've tried following the path Alex gave in his post to find them but I can find no trace of them there on my system.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Hi markw,

if you are looking for the files, I would recommend opening /private/var/folders through the Finder command Shift+Cmd+G. The content of this folder seems to vary, so I can’t give you the exact path to the Affinity Photo sample documents. But when you Opt+Click on the triangle left to the folder icons in /private/var/folders, you will open all subfolders at once. Now it should be easy to find the files you’re after just by scrolling down.

But once again, I do not recommend to mess around with system files. Everything you do is at your own risk.  ;)

Cheers, Alex  :)

Thanks again Alex, yes poking around sytem files should not be done lightly. Look but don't touch untill you are 100% sure!

So for those of us wondering how much disc space was being used by the downloadable example files.
I've found after more digging and experimenting today it would seem that after a system restart these example files are removed and need to be re-downloaded if you wish to explore them further another day.
So yes they do take up space initially but it's not permanent and you get it back again.
If you should which to keep one of these files then you need to do a Save As… to permanently keep a copy.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• 1 year later...

Hi aburgess. Welcome to the forums!

This is a fairly old topic, started when Affinity Photo was a Mac only app. Now that there is also a Windows public beta version, among other things the differences in how & where the files are stored on Windows systems vs. on Mac ones might cause some confusion. In general, comments relevant only to the Windows Photo beta should be posted here, but it isn't always obvious if that is true or if they would be of interest to everybody.

Regarding that, even though I am not a Windows user, I am still curious about the behavior on a restart -- do these files get erased automatically when you restart your PC like they do on Macs? If not, that might be something worth bringing up in the Windows beta forum.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Now that there is also a Windows public beta version

The retail version of Affinity Photo on Windows was released a couple of weeks ago, so the public beta has expired. The only beta version currently available is the first customer beta.

Edit: With Affinity Photo closed, I've just taken a look in my %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Samples folder and found that it was empty.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for the correction on the retail Windows version. I checked for that but for some reason all that turned up in a Google search was the link to the beta announcement. I should have known better than to rely on that.  :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7