You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP - Color Replacer - Light Color

I have set my forecolor replacer to Black.

But when i go to replace color, it only replaces a very light gray. Also on hover only shows a light gray color.

I tried a blue, same thing... very light blue.

I have all my settings to 100% (flow, hardness, opac)

What am I doing wrong?

First time I ever tried that tool....

It looks to me like it's replacing color and that's just all it does.
It's replacing just the color. Not the luminescence and not the saturation. So you're getting black with the same luminescence as the orange.

Also, you can no longer change the color of the gray. Gray has a saturation of 0 and any color that you want to replace it with will also have 0 saturation which is again, gray.

Funny tool... A bit of a weird one..

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Maybe we can think of an alternative solution.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

This is just a test. I am working on changing skin color file eventually.

All the tutorials I have seen (without using Adjustment layers) says to just select forecolor, select color replacement tool and paint.

In the test, Orange should be replaced with Black... but it is gray.

So, there is a setting somewhere that is causing the gray.

If you have never used this function. How will you know.

I appreciate that you want to help. But, I need to know what is wrong

That brush is not really a colour replacer brush, it behaves more like a hue changer brush.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The brush won't affect black, grey or white until you add a bit of RGB then you will start to see the colour being affected. While black, grey and white have no saturation they will remain unaffected. The white will need a reduction in luminosity too. Either way there has to be colour not just tone.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

If that is true, they why does it do the same thing when I use red or blue. I get a really light color no matter what i use.

This is NOT what is supposed to happen based on all the other tutorials I have found

You can see in the video how IT IS SUPPOSED to work

You don't know either.

Does anyone know?

Does my color profile effect this weird behavior.?

When you set black as the brush colour it isn't going to replace it with black, it maintains the luminosity tone of the colour you are painting over so a light colour will merely change to a light grey. When you do this to a full image as in the video, you will end up converting that image to a greyscale image.

Because he is replacing Red with Green, the colour being used and the colour being replaced has a compliment of RGB i.e. it has a degree colour or part thereof, black has none so it can only work on tone.

Moving any one of the R G B sliders will result in a colour change, moving the R slider to 1 will change the brush preview to a pink instead of a grey, that's how little colour is required to get a colour change over a tonal change.

image.png.f41679c9cf7adb8f9907ddfb4af9fc76.png

If you paint an orange blob, then create a pixel layer and brush a black strip a red strip and a blue strip over the orange, then change the blend mode to colour or hue you will see the effect of the colour as the replacement brush applies it.

The Help says:

The Colour Replacement Brush Tool takes a sample of the colour under the cursor when you begin to paint, and will replace all closely matching colours along the stroke with the current Primary colour. The targeted colour's hue will be replaced with the current Primary colour's hue, while retaining saturation and lightness values of the original pixels.

So, here's another experiment you can do:

1. Choose the Color Replacement Brush Tool.
  2. Open the Color panel, and set it to HSL sliders.
  3. Pick a spot on your image. Press Alt (Opt on Mac) and click/drag the brush slightly on that spot to use the color picker.
  4. Note that the primary color well in the Color panel has picked that color.
  5. Drag the H (Hue) slider back and forth.
  6. Note the color change (if any) in the primary color well, which demonstrates all of the possible colors you could replace with, while maintaining the Saturation and Lightness (S, L) values of the picked color under the brush.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, pixelinkmedia said:

If you have never used this function. How will you know.

• Experience with the application in general.
  • Testing it and confirming my thoughts with the RGB values
  • Confirming my thoughts with the HELP page (The targeted color's hue will be replaced with the current Primary color's hue, while retaining saturation and lightness values of the original pixels.)

And looking at all the answers. I'm right. Eventhough I've never used it, except especially to try and test it for your question. (You're welcome, btw)

black is the same hue (or actually saturation) as gray. It just has a different lightness value. So if you paint black on color, it becomes gray because it has the same hue as black. Just a higher lightness.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

15 minutes ago, pixelinkmedia said:

I get all the HUE thing.

I am trying to get a true color replacement.

The Color Replacement Brush Tool paints over similar colors to the one you initially click on, and gives you a tolerance value for that similarity. But it only replaces the Hue, as we've been discussing.

As an alternative, you could try doing a Flood Select, which will give you a pixel selection based on a color tolerance. Or you could use the Selection Brush. And then you could use the regular Paint Brush Tool to paint color over that selection.

Or you could try the Flood Fill Tool, which also has a tolerance specification and lets you specify a color.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1