You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request: Keep "Black" (K100) in Text when converting to another profile

Hi

I made a document in CMKY and set the Text to pure Black (0/0/0/100) as ist is the normal behaviour in printing.

When I convert the document to another profile, the Color looks like (73/67/63/84), which would leads to problems in printing the text, as it will probably lead to unsharpen text.

I'm missing the setting that pure K should stay pure K in a conversion (especially for text), especially in the Export-settings for PDF, where you can select a different Profile.

image.png.5b6c13c9e9e440209fb55559ac0b3426.png

And, as an extra wish: When converting from RGB to CMYK, I would like to have the possibilty to change Text to  CMYK 0/0/0/100

Thanks

1 hour ago, voronwe said:

I'm missing the setting that pure K should stay pure K in a conversion (especially for text)

+100!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have a similar question.

why the grayscale doesn't match with K (cmky)?

If I set k:50 and switch to grayscale the value is 61

If I set any value in grayscale or pick a color in grays palette and switch to cmky it uses the four colors and not only K.

8 hours ago, fabio.bs said:

If I set any value in grayscale or pick a color in grays palette and switch to cmky it uses the four colors and not only K.

The grayscale palette in the Affinity apps is based on HSL values, not CMYK. When the colors are converted to CMYK you'll get four-color blacks instead of K only.

3 minutes ago, tudor said:

The grayscale palette in the Affinity apps

And it appears to be hard-coded. No way to delete it. No way to make it "un-default". It sticks at the top of the list. :/

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2021 at 2:09 PM, loukash said:

And it appears to be hard-coded. No way to delete it. No way to make it "un-default". It sticks at the top of the list. :/

Are you sure? I ditched mine ages ago and all replaced with real (k) grays - I'm pretty sure Delete palate worked for me on Mojave, although it was quite a while ago

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

3 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Are you sure?

Yes.
I get the dialog…
ade_delete_palette_dialog.png.f9bd136105ba5dbe7d6d194b56170e3c.png

… but clicking "Yes" does nothing.

3 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I'm pretty sure Delete palate worked for me on Mojave

El Capt'n here.

But I think I was able to delete the Gradients once. Reset the palettes in the meantime though.

1 hour ago, loukash said:

… but clicking "Yes" does nothing.

Surely a bug?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
On 3/12/2021 at 2:09 PM, loukash said:
On 3/12/2021 at 2:01 PM, tudor said:

The grayscale palette in the Affinity apps

I'm not seeing the same here in 1.9.2 Windows or 1.9.3 Mac (Big Sur) - when selecting Delete Palette, then Yes in the dialog that opens, the palette is removed from the app and is not present in new documents, or after restarting the app.

Are you unable to delete any palette categories, or only certain ones please?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

5 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Are you unable to delete any palette categories, or only certain ones please?

Grays & Colors are the only ones I can't delete.
It's across all apps, incl. current betas.

I'll reboot to Catalina and try if that makes any difference.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, I've forwarded this to our QA team as I don't personally have access to El Captain for testing and I'll be sure to let you know what we find - please do let us know your results on Catalina :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

This appears to be related to the language you have selected for the app, if you set the apps UI to Eng (UK) these palettes can be deleted and remain deleted when switching back to other languages. Using other languages the Palettes cannot be deleted - I'll make sure this is logged with our devs now! :D

8 minutes ago, Dan C said:

This appears to be related to the language you have selected for the app

Surprise, surprise… :P

9 minutes ago, Dan C said:

if you set the apps UI to Eng (UK) these palettes can be deleted and remain deleted when switching back to other languages.

Yeah, because switching to Catalina alone didn't help: I'm actually syncing (ChronoSync app and a bunch of symlinks!) my Affinity settings & prefs between Catalina and El Capitan. So what I just tried was disabling the existing App Support folder and the plist, launching the app with completely default settings. Since that fixed it, my next step would have been to figure out which custom setting is blocking it.

12 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I'll make sure this is logged with our devs now!

Thanks & cheers!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

This appears to be related to the language you have selected for the app, if you set the apps UI to Eng (UK) these palettes can be deleted and remain deleted when switching back to other languages. Using other languages the Palettes cannot be deleted - I'll make sure this is logged with our devs now! :D

Grey v. Gray.

Colour v Color.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Grey v. Gray.

Colour v Color.

I definitely prefer the US spelling, for several rational reasons. :)