You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is exporting to eps in Designer placing a white background?

Is there a switch I'm missing? When I export an image - a simple clip art image - to eps from Designer it puts it on a white background?

I went through the process of removing the white background. nice and transparent. However, export to eps and there it is again.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

8 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Is there a switch I'm missing?

Did you choose the export option ‘Selection without background’ or did you simply export the whole document?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Maybe if you can share the Designer document we can check if there is anything shady in it.

Thats about as simple as it gets. yet exports with a white background.

Kangaroo Selected.afdesign

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

7 minutes ago, Ray S. said:

Check this:

export.jpg.dc96e88cb4a643df6b75eeea02f9a15a.jpg

Ok, for some reason, V1.8 shows only the original I showed before. Whole Document. v1.9 Beta shows as you have above.

But no difference. Exported and placed in Publisher. white background.

Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 10.40.20.png

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

skippy.jpg.f289005a8c0ac6d1c9cd79c0a9b4383d.jpg

Just vectorize that Skippy.

Ah so. You vectorized skippy outside of Designer? 

I saw that, but Designer can’t do that right?

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

9 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Ah so. You vectorized skippy outside of Designer?

Yes. - I used a commercial tool  (SuperVectorizer) in this case for quicker turnarounds, though there are also free to use tracing apps and web based online solutions available (see for example).

9 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

I saw that, but Designer can’t do that right?

Yes, Designer sadly doesn't have any such build-in capabilities, thus you have to use some third party tools as workarounds.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

There’s no need to vectorize it yourself. You can download the original in vector format from Shutterstock.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/illustration-kangaroo-cartoon-186427286

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

There’s no need to vectorize it yourself. You can download ...

Don't know where the OP took that image from, or if it is/was there also available in other formats (a Google image search will probably provide xxx sources for it). - My point was more that he will need a vector representation of that one (instead of a JPG/PNG bitmap) in order to yield the EPS transparency background result he is looking after. - For bitmap images an EPS export won't preserve the transparency here (aka the alpha channel).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

There’s no need to vectorize it yourself. You can download the original in vector format from Shutterstock.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-vector/illustration-kangaroo-cartoon-186427286

Thanks, I know where the vector is. I’m trying to investigate Affinity’s lack of ability in this area is all.

5 hours ago, v_kyr said:

skippy.jpg.f289005a8c0ac6d1c9cd79c0a9b4383d.jpg

So here’s what I’m talking about.

this is in Designer. The Skippy is the fully made eps that is shown above. Fully vectorised and eps.

the leaves are a layer as a curve and exported as an eps and placed on a green background.

the small leaves on the white background is the eps file, with transparency... placed on the layer. The background is now white.

In all it’s background options. I tried them all.

So I’m darned if I know. Maybe I just can’t place an eps image made with affinity?

79C973C5-B864-4ADE-85BB-9B935148D1C7.png

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

1 hour ago, HarryMcGovern said:

the leaves are a layer as a curve and exported as an eps and placed on a green background.

the small leaves on the white background is the eps file, with transparency... placed on the layer. The background is now white.

Probably depends on, if the leaves have been exported as EPS with or without a background here. Since in the embedded little leaves EPS doesn't look to have a transparent background associated (or some white rect has been added there during export in the size of the initial green rect one of the initial doc).

1 hour ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Can you provide that EPS file?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

45 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Can I ask, is that eps created by SuperVectorize?

No, I exported as a PDF/SVG from SuperVectorizer and then opened that in AD, removed a traced white rect, so the background is transparent and grouped all the remaining image curves. Afterwards exported the whole from AD as an EPS.

32 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Yes, there we are. 
obviously it’s not vectorised, just exported as an eps

Well not sure what strange curve things you did there, but your leaves are just a bitmap fill on that grid like curve. So the leaves parts aren't vectors at all, instead just bitmap/raster pixels, thus it's no surprise you get a white background on export. - Use also plain vector leave drawings (something in pure vectors SVG, PDF format etc.) and not bitmaps!

5 minutes ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Ah, so SuperDesigner is a third party app? 

Sorry made a writing typo, meant here SuperVectorizer (a bitmap to vector tracing app) not SuperDesigner.